Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-16, 07:54 PM  
Jo FitFan
VF Supporter

Yoga before bed? What's your nighttime routine?

I've been wanting to do some light stretching before bed, though hesitant to try much because I don't want to over-invigorate my body before sleep. Can anyone recommend a good (short) yoga routine that they do right before bed? What else helps you settle down for a good night's sleep? Thanks for sharing. (smiley moon face)
Jo FitFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-16, 08:05 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Jo, you might want to check out this old thread:
http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=100544

Forward beds are the best yoga poses to induce sleep; there are many nice practices with a forward bend focus.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-16, 09:33 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Yoga Nidra! I do one on the Movement for Modern Life website, but I just checked youtube and there are a number of them available there. I fall asleep quickly and it's a very sound sleep. Love it!
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-16, 09:41 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Barbara Benagh:
Yoga for Stress Release (many options of short or long duration)
AM PM Yoga (the PM has several options)

Rodney Yee:
Yoga for Energy and Stress Release
AM PM Meditation (Maritza does PM portion, and it is very good)

Sara Ivanhoe
Candlelight Yoga

i keep my strap & blocks by my bed, and my portable DVD player.

many times, i do my own routine, usually legs up the wall pose.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-16, 11:28 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Yoga Nidra! I do one on the Movement for Modern Life website, but I just checked youtube and there are a number of them available there. I fall asleep quickly and it's a very sound sleep. Love it!
I should have mentioned..... this is not any stretches -- it's a guided relaxation. So, if you want stretching, this won't do it, but if you want a good night of sleep, it's heavenly.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-16, 01:14 AM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post

Forward beds are the best yoga poses to induce sleep; there are many nice practices with a forward bend focus.
That thread had become my cure for insomnia (after some skepticism. ) See post #10 for the OP's routine.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-16, 12:03 PM  
laurajhawk

When I do yoga before bed, a few DVDs I like are:
- Nirvair's AM/PM (PM segment, naturally), about 25 min
- Sara Ivanhoe's Taste (Chill or Sleep, 5 min each, or the premix that combines both)
- Ravi & Ana's Quick Fixes Sleep segment (6 minutes)
- Rodney Yee AM Yoga for Your Week (I know, but the Forward Bend practice is relaxing - about 20 min)
- I have "Yoga in Bed" and I know I liked one of the practices on the "extras" menu in particular, but I haven't thought about it in ages until you asked this question

More than that, though, I recommend 10-20 minutes of meditation before bed. I don't usually use media for that, just sit and watch my breath, and I find it really helps to calm my mind before going to bed. Since this is VF after all I'll mention that the style of meditation I learned (shamatha, or mindfulness meditation) is taught in Cyndi Lee & David Nichtern's "Yoga Body, Buddha Mind" DVD set ... but I think that might be OOP and you don't really need a DVD to do mindfulness meditation.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-16, 01:16 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post

beth - thanks. i read that thread and pulled out 2 of my vintage yoga workouts for specific chapters last night!

1) Rodney Yee, Yoga Journal's Yoga for Energy (1995), "Reflection" chapter #4. all seated varieties of forward bends. 11 min, plus the 4 min "Surrender." gosh, according to my notes inside of the case, the last time i did this was in 2005!!

2) *Yoga for Every Body (Body Wisdom) with JJ Gormley, the "Under 45 min selections, specifically the intermediate "Preparing for Meditation" (30 min total). seated forward bends as well, but different angles compared to Rodney's.

*i got this from Goodwill and never gave it a good shot until now!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-16, 01:22 PM  
laurajhawk

Oh gosh, I forgot Yoga for Energy too! I used to use that one all the time and yes, Reflection is a great bedtime routine. (Surrender is guided savasana.) I need to get that out too.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-16, 02:30 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Great that you were able to find some segments on DVDs you already on, Jeannine!

Two of the segments on Yee's Yoga for Energy and Stress Relief (I think #2 & #3) are very forward bend-focused. Legs-up-the-wall is wonderful too. I'm also finding that I love, love, LOVE restorative forward bends--child's pose with a bolster and twist with a bolster are wonderful after a long day at work.

As Laura mentioned, I'm also finding that a meditation practice is helping with improved sleep. I don't usually do it before bed, however--I meditate at different times, but most often at lunchtime. Also, I'm only meditating for about 6-8 minutes most days. However, I think I'm gradually training myself to be able to remain focused on my breath, something that is particularly important for when you wake up in the middle of the night and have trouble falling asleep.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
j.j. gormley, legs up the wall, yoga bolster, yoga nidra, yoga props