Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-15, 10:53 AM  
isebelleg44

Any Over 40 Career Changers?

I am 41 and have worked for the same company for over 19 years. I started there at 22 as a temp and a college drop out. In other words, I fell into it and was happy to find a job with a good company.

I won't bore you with the details, but I am miserable and want out. I did go back to school and received my bachelors in business management, but just because it was convenient. The company paid for it and is another example of their numerous benefits.

You think at 41, I would have some sort of direction, but all I know that it isn't what I am currently doing. I am 30 hours right now and know that if I leave, I will no longer have that flexibility and would have to work full time. I have been part time since my daughters were born. Its a lot to give up, but when your daughters know you hate your job and your not sleeping at night, something has to change. My husband has his own business, so I carry all the benefits. I feel like I am stuck, but know if there is a will there is a way.

Any mid life career changers?

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-15, 11:44 AM  
Pie
VF Supporter

My situation is different. I'm a sahm and have been since my youngest was born 7 years ago. My degree is in accounting so being off that long in my field makes it almost impossible to find a job. I actually don't want to work in accounting anymore. I'm considering teaching or nursing. Two totally different fields that would require more schooling. I honestly don't know where to start and haven't yet been motivated to research....

Eta: I'm 42....

Results are not made in the Comfort Zone........ - Mike Karpenko
Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-15, 11:56 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Well, I wasn't quite 40 yet, but...... after working for silicon valley corporations since I graduated college, at 37 my husband and I started a company of our own. Almost 17 years later, we're still going. It hasn't been easy but I guess it's mostly been pretty good.

Are your daughters old enough that working full time won't be much of a hardship on them? It is nice to have that flexibility when you're needed more for them. The other thing you might consider is keeping the job but looking for the happy part outside of work -- tough to find more time for that with kids, but if you are considering going full time, those hours would be gone anyway. These kinds of decisions are really tough -- good luck!
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-15, 12:06 PM  
Gardengirl

Paralegal here. Worked full time, then part time after children. Got fed up with new boss (practices merged), quit. Husband had business and I'd always kept books, done payroll, etc. so I just did that while the kids were in school. Fast forward about 12 years, life gets very complicated, and I need to go back to work. Wow! Had no idea things could change so much in that period of time. Felt totally inept! But got hired by an ogre and I lasted about 2 years. Took a year's sabbatical and am back to doing paralegal work again but just part time. BUT, I've lost my love of the law and now I don't know what I want to be when I grow up and I'm running out of time to decide! LoL! Plus I don't know that I want to change jobs and completely have to relearn a new position. It's a hard spot to be in . . . stay with what you know and just tough it out, or throw caution to the wind and try something new. Of course, finances come into play and complicate all decisions.

So I don't have an answer, but I feel your pain!
Old 06-21-15, 12:18 PM  
LindaL
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by isebelleg44 View Post
I am 41 and have worked for the same company for over 19 years. I started there at 22 as a temp and a college drop out. In other words, I fell into it and was happy to find a job with a good company.

I won't bore you with the details, but I am miserable and want out. I did go back to school and received my bachelors in business management, but just because it was convenient. The company paid for it and is another example of their numerous benefits.

You think at 41, I would have some sort of direction, but all I know that it isn't what I am currently doing. I am 30 hours right now and know that if I leave, I will no longer have that flexibility and would have to work full time. I have been part time since my daughters were born. Its a lot to give up, but when your daughters know you hate your job and your not sleeping at night, something has to change. My husband has his own business, so I carry all the benefits. I feel like I am stuck, but know if there is a will there is a way.

Any mid life career changers?
I can totally relate. I'm 48 and have been teaching at the same school for 11 years. I still want to teach, but desperately want to leave my school. I also carry the insurance for our family. DS has an autoimmune disease for which he receives treatment every six weeks, DD has an ulcer and DH is on blood pressure meds so I feel scared about the insurance. Both of my kids and DH know how miserable I am, mainly because my principal does not support her teachers and is frequently caught lying about any number of things. What I do know is that it's never too late to change! I've recently taken the plunge and sent my resume out to a bunch of schools, and yes, it's terrifying! But, you have the right to be happy and satisfied in your career. You can google "how to find the right career" and find a ton of quizzes that might steer you in the right direction. I know it's scary, but you can do it! Once you lock in on something, work on your resume and send it to as many places as you can. What's the worst thing that can happen? You have everything to gain and nothing to lose! Good luck!

Disclosure: I was a Beachbody success story and part of a P90X infomercial.
LindaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-15, 12:30 PM  
Sophie

Yes, I did - I went back to university after taking leave from my old job to be at home with my kids. I figured I was going to miss my youngest so much after she started school I didn't want to be a SAHM anymore. I was also teaching yoga part time. So going back to school to learn more about anatomy and physiology was a natural direction for me. I was 43 when I (re)started university.

Long story short, it was a complete shift in direction from my former career, and it was one of the best changes I ever made.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-15, 12:30 PM  
andtckrtoo

I tend to switch jobs every 5-6 years, so I can give some advice.

Figure out what you want to do. Then look at your skills and right your resume around the skills that show that you can do the job you want to do.

Have a professional review your resume. Companies are using software to sort through resumes to see where they match job descriptions. You want to make sure your resume gets noticed by the software.

Before an interview - research the company. Write down questions to ask (different questions for different people - you can research good ones on the internet). You'll want to look knowledgable about the company and interested.

Good luuck.
Old 06-21-15, 12:35 PM  
wnt2bfirm

I'm an accountant and hate it. Hate commuting for 3+ hours a day. Hate the corporate world. But I don't know what else to do. I'm not married so I am the the only one paying the rent and bills. Never really had career aspirations and really just wanted to have a family and be a stay at home mom, maybe have a family business someday. But I'm 46 and still single so that dream is pretty much not happening for me.
wnt2bfirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-15, 12:42 PM  
bubbles76

Isebelleg44, is there any way you can stay where you are AND do something different? For instance, although I love what I do, it is going to come to a point where I am simply not going to be able to do it once Tiny Bubble gets older. I like where I work, so I'm already looking for other opportunities within the organization - policy, training, operations management, project management. Before you decide to leave, since you know the bennies are good, look at other options within first.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-15, 12:59 PM  
Gardengirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Isebelleg44, is there any way you can stay where you are AND do something different? For instance, although I love what I do, it is going to come to a point where I am simply not going to be able to do it once Tiny Bubble gets older. I like where I work, so I'm already looking for other opportunities within the organization - policy, training, operations management, project management. Before you decide to leave, since you know the bennies are good, look at other options within first.
Excellent advice!

Tags
career, retirement