Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-03-14, 08:04 AM  
LoveVA

Article link: Exercise for your age

So I know this is an old article from 2006, but I just found it. I apologize if this has been discussed here already, but I found it useful (I'm in my 40s). It's an article that provides suggestions for how to work out based on your age (20s, 30s, 40s, etc.)

http://www.oprah.com/health/Exercise-for-Your-Age/1
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 08:39 AM  
susan p
VF Supporter

I think it is interesting that they recommending more strength work in your 30s, and even more in your 40s, but then MUCH LESS in your 50s. Wonder what's up with that?

(I'm 50, by the way.)
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 08:56 AM  
bubbles76

I am only allotting one hour max to working out every day. So that recommendation to do one hour of strength training three days a week and 45 minutes of cardio five days a week once we hit 40 isn not going to cut it for me
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 09:34 AM  
LoveVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I am only allotting one hour max to working out every day. So that recommendation to do one hour of strength training three days a week and 45 minutes of cardio five days a week once we hit 40 isn not going to cut it for me
Seriously. I can only get up so early. It did emphasize for me that I do need more strength training, though.

Susan, I did wonder why women in their 50s need more cardio and less strength training.
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 09:40 AM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan p View Post
I think it is interesting that they recommending more strength work in your 30s, and even more in your 40s, but then MUCH LESS in your 50s. Wonder what's up with that?

(I'm 50, by the way.)
That doesn't sound right to me. I can't think of a sensible rationale for that at all. Everything else I've read indicates the need for more, not less, with each passing decade. That just seems sloppily written, especially considering they talk about how muscle mass is lost and how important weight training is, quoting Kathy Smith. Bit of a disconnect there.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 12:42 PM  
Aquajock

The less I read popular journalism articles on fitness, the healthier and fitter I am.

A-Jock
Old 03-03-14, 01:29 PM  
JENILU

They did point out joint problems as you get older, and I think that was their rational - opinions may have changed by the "experts" in tha last 6 years though.
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 01:41 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie View Post
That doesn't sound right to me. I can't think of a sensible rationale for that at all. Everything else I've read indicates the need for more, not less, with each passing decade. That just seems sloppily written, especially considering they talk about how muscle mass is lost and how important weight training is, quoting Kathy Smith. Bit of a disconnect there.
If Sophie doesn't approve, I won't even bother to read it.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 02:24 PM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta-tude View Post
If Sophie doesn't approve, I won't even bother to read it.
LOL Alta! no, I want people to read it so they can re-interpret it for me so it makes sense

Sure, joint problems. Heck, I've had that since I've been in my 20's (or even late teens, given all the sprained knees and ankles playing sports). That's why I'm doing MORE, not LESS, strength training, to address muscle balance and lend support to my joints.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 02:47 PM  
JENILU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie View Post
Sure, joint problems. Heck, I've had that since I've been in my 20's (or even late teens, given all the sprained knees and ankles playing sports). That's why I'm doing MORE, not LESS, strength training, to address muscle balance and lend support to my joints.
ITA! Thats why I am assumiing "expert" advice must have changed (I hope) in the last few years. I just wish there weren't still so many workouts coming out that sling around light weights. I think that was what originally caused a lot of my problems. (controlled lifting at a decent weight should be very encouraged for all age groups, and do more as you adapt no matter what age I would think)
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exercise by age