Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-27-13, 03:12 PM  
F1mom

Yoga Lovers: Can You Do Triceps Pushups in Chaturanga?

And if you can do pushups in Chaturanga, what did you do to strengthen your triceps? Regular pushups are the bane of my existence but I can now comfortably perform them on my toes.

Triceps pushups, whole other story. I can go down but I can't get back up. It's bad, like I need The Clapper or something.

Help!
F1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-13, 03:34 PM  
zippity

They're tough, that's for sure. Yes, I can do them, but I doubt I could do more than 20 interspersed throughout a class. Ultimate Yogi has a lot of them; I started out just doing 2-3 throughout a practice, then worked up. The caveat is, I developed an awful case of elbow tendonitis that made me put a stop to all yogi pushups for about three months. So, don't build up too quickly, there's really no great rush to build strength in a yoga practice. Trying to build strength too quickly, just leads to injury in my experience.

Also shoulder alignment is very, very important in chaturanga. A good instructor will show you what to do, but no one is there to correct your form with dvds. So, we've got to be our own instructors: Here's a great article; I've read it about ten times and still correct my form; hopefully one day it will become second nature:

http://www.yogajournal.com/health/2528
Old 03-27-13, 03:43 PM  
sunday

I got stronger during yoga teacher training where I was doing full Ashtanga Primary daily, which was really hundreds of those suckers a day.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-13, 03:53 PM  
laurajhawk

I can do more/better triceps pushups than I can regular pushups, because I do a lot of yoga. Practice, practice, practice. The vinyasa (chaturanga/updog/downdog) is easier than actual pushups (plank/chaturanga/plank), so start with the vinyasa. If you can't do chaturanga to updog, do chaturanga, hold it for a few seconds, lower your whole body to the floor, then push up into updog -- but try the full move a couple of times in every yoga practice. I remember the first one I did, during a Bryan Kest video. I was so surprised!

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-13, 05:44 PM  
MamaBecca

I was never able to do them until I started doing yoga daily (I used UY, but I think it was the frequency rather than the program). I started out not even being able to do chaturanga. Then one day, I lowered and boom! I held myself a couple of inches off the floor -- I was so excited! Same thing happened with the tricep pushups -- couldn't do it until one day it just happened.

CLX, TF, Skogg, RKS grad
STS Grad 2012
Les Mills Pump Grad 2013
Les Mills Combat Grad 2013
BeSLAM Grad 2013
Current rotation: Molly Galbraith GGS, Walking
MamaBecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-13, 05:48 PM  
Eibhinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
I got stronger during yoga teacher training where I was doing full Ashtanga Primary daily, which was really hundreds of those suckers a day.
Ugh - I remember you couldn't stand to do yoga anymore after your teacher training - no wonder!
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-13, 05:56 PM  
sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibhinn View Post
Ugh - I remember you couldn't stand to do yoga anymore after your teacher training - no wonder!
True!! I was so burned out I stayed away from yoga for a year. It literally made me nauseous to think about. I went back, though, but to styles other than Ashtanga - Hatha, KY, etc. Don't think I could stomach Primary ever again.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-13, 11:02 PM  
Eibhinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
True!! I was so burned out I stayed away from yoga for a year. It literally made me nauseous to think about. I went back, though, but to styles other than Ashtanga - Hatha, KY, etc. Don't think I could stomach Primary ever again.
At the same time that I've always appreciate the amount of discipline and focus consistent primary series practice would take, I've also realized it's just not in my make-up. Too ADD.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-13, 11:12 PM  
hpotter

what is tricep pushups?
hpotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-13, 12:50 AM  
cindylm

Yes, finally after a few weeks of Ultimate Yogi practice. I am not great and I cannot do a lot but I am gaining the strength

I didn't do anything other than doing my UY most days
cindylm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yoga