Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-13, 08:45 AM  
EnglishRose

Yoga Causing Insomnia? Is that even possible?

I've always struggled to get into yoga and have tried several times. For some reason, after reading the great reviews on here, I tried UY Foundations and I've absolutely fallen in love with it.

The trouble is, I think its keeping me awake and one of the reasons I really wanted to try it was help with sleep. I tend to do it around 6 in the evening as I'm horribly inflexible and I don't think I'd be able to manage much of anything in the morning.

I'm now wondering if I'm expecting not to sleep and if that is exacerbating the problem. I'm at a particularly stressful time of life at present with new work challenges and it could be tied up with that rather than the practice, which I keep non-challenging and gentle.

Any ideas from the VF experts?

Thanks
Moira
EnglishRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-13, 08:49 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I know that there are a few backbends in these practices. Backbends can be very energizing; this can effect some people more than others. You could try skipping the backbends including in the practice (e.g., up dog, cobra, locust) to see if that helps. Forward bends are more relaxing/conducive to sleep, so you could try subbing those.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-13, 03:09 PM  
BunnyHop

I've got a Tai Chi dvd that mentions not to do the exercises at bedtime. Morning is best, daytime is fine, evening, okay, bedtime no.

All I know is that I previewed/watched most of the dvd late one evening (pretty much past my bedtime) and seriously could not sleep that night.
Any connection? Who knows, maybe just in my own mind, but I do think that doing things that stir up the energy in your body at the wrong time of day can be less than helpful.
BunnyHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-13, 03:23 PM  
EnglishRose

Thanks guys. Any kind of exercise other than walking at night stops me falling asleep - a bit like when you've had too much caffeine. I just thought that yoga would be the exception to that.

This is the basic DVD though, not part of the main set Beth. I'm not really conversant with yoga names but I'm not sure there's that many back bends in it but it may be just that I don't know what constitutes a back bend!

Thanks
Moira
Old 03-13-13, 03:49 PM  
bfit

I've heard that exercise too soon before bedtime can cause trouble sleeping. It doesn't have to be yoga - any kind of exercise can cause this. I'm not an evening exerciser so I don't know from personal experience, but do know that for people with sleep problems one of the recommendations is not to exercise in the evening.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-13, 03:53 PM  
EnglishRose

Thanks Bfit. I think I'm just going to have to accept I'm one of those people! Still love the DVD though.

Moira
Old 03-13-13, 05:23 PM  
restlessnative

my opinion -

some poses are more energizing than others and would not be recommended before bedtime.

I would recommend restorative poses/routine before bedtime. They are sure to be more calming.
restlessnative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-13, 08:35 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishRose View Post
This is the basic DVD though, not part of the main set Beth. I'm not really conversant with yoga names but I'm not sure there's that many back bends in it but it may be just that I don't know what constitutes a back bend!

Thanks
Moira
Moira, yes, I know, I have Foundations. Check the guide that is in the DVD case--you'll find a pose breakdown for each practice.

Backbends from Class #1 include Spinx, Cobra
From Class #2: Cobra
From Class #3: Spinx, Cobra Flow, Cobra, Sun Salutation A & B (probably includes either Cobra or Updog, both of which are backbends), Camel Pose (major backbend!), Reverse Cobra? (I'm not sure what this pose is...)

The third practice definitely has a lot of backbends--have you noticed this one affecting your sleep more? I also know that Travis includes poses that aren't listed on the insert breakdown, so the first two classes may have even more backbends than I've posted here. Again, some people are more susceptible than others--one of my checkin buddies avoids any types of backbends past late afternoon because they keep her up.

There is an older thread on VF about how much forward bends can help with insomnia, so searching for that might help you. Forward bend include things like forward fold, child's pose, head to knee pose, and two-legged seated forward bend.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-13, 04:17 AM  
EnglishRose

Thanks Beth, that's really helpful. I've only done the first one so far. I think I'll try it in the morning and see how I get on and then do a search on here for a more suitable evening DVD. Just really like Travis though!

Thanks for your help.

Moira
Old 03-14-13, 09:42 AM  
dianestjohn

Whenever I do kundalini yoga (used to do it a lot, am now quite sporadic) I get a payoff in increased energy during the day, and a few times I have noticed it takes me longer to get to sleep on the days I have done kundalini. I agree with the above posters to may be try a relaxing type of yoga. There is a yoga dvd called Candlelight Yoga (Sara Ivanhoe) and a 3-practice dvd by Jason Crandel which includes Yoga for Restful Sleep, those are both very soothing.
dianestjohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yoga