Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-12, 09:18 AM  
momofcha

Dream Body Fusion

I thought I would start a new thread and post my thoughts on the DVD. I received it yesterday and couldn't wait to try it last night. I won't break down everything, because I don't remember it all honestly. For background, I am an advanced exerciser (or so I thought before this) and typically go for strength workouts (kettlebells and CLX currently). I enjoy barre - P57 is a favorite, PB, BB - mostly upper body.

This workout slayed me. Absolutely slayed me. I had to take numerous breaks. There were many times I couldn't even come close to completely the number of reps she did. I modified on the ab stuff because my abs suck. I had to rest on the plank work. There is some balance work I struggled with. The thigh stuff and arms w/ weights were the "easiest" for me. And by easy, I mean, I could do most of the reps.

I'll try to remember and point out some of the cons -
- she yells. If you don't like Chalene because you think she yells, you won't like this. honestly, didn't bother me at all.
- she often reminds you that this workout is "an hour long"
- sometimes the music is really loud that it completely overpowers her
- she does never stop talking
- pop ups a la infomercial didn't bother me in the least - they were hardly noticeable, and if I did notice them it wasn't distracting
- there are some "barbie" pop ups where she's got that ridiculous outfit on with leg warmers and heels, but again, I am working so hard I either didn't look directly at the tv, or it wasn't too offensive

That's all I can remember for any negative, but honestly, none of those are deal breakers for me.

Equipment used:
- I used 2 lb weights
- mat
- stability ball for the end ab/thigh piece - you can easily modify by not using anything, using a smaller ball. You don't use this to sit on at all.

This workout is absolutely non-stop. There is not a break to be found. The class would randomly take breaks as they needed, and I did as well. At a couple of times I actually went to the kitchen for more water and came back and picked up where I left off. This video is definitely something to grow with for me.

Here's some of the exercises I remember, in no particular order:
- mountain climbers
- plank to chair pose, back down to a push up
- leaning back with leg extended straight out, working inner thigh and abs
- short all four outer hip/butt segment
- kickbox/punch mostly segment - deep in a sumo squat holding weight, doing cross punches
- move similar to TJ "wheel" with weights on shoulders - do the wheel to one side, squat and lift arms straight up - finish one side then go to the other
- thigh work where you're in releve holding weights and arms straight out in front of you pulsing arms and legs
- plank work
- you end with a series of push ups I could not finish
- stability ball between your straight legs, leaning back, squeezing the ball working on inner thighs and abs
- plank where you shift your hips down alternating
- dolphin pose, one leg on ground bent and hovering, other leg lifts straight up to ceiling

That's really all I can remember right now. All in all, the negatives are minimal. You are working so hard they are virtually unnoticable - to me anyway. The positives and how hard I'm working definitely outweighs the negatives. I can't wait to see how my body changes doing this twice/week. What I like too is your abs are worked everywhere. It's not like P57 where you go to the floor at the end and work your abs. You can't skip or avoid them here.

I hope this helps some of you with your decision.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-12, 09:40 AM  
ChrisS

Thank you for the excellent breakdown! This definitely helps me make a decision to buy!

Chris
ChrisS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-12, 09:41 AM  
hotncmom

Thanks for the review!

Was there any unweighted arm work? And what about stretching?
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-12, 09:46 AM  
sunday

Excellent review. I got my shipping notice from Mary and can't wait to get it!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-12, 10:17 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Thanks for the great review Sue and I'm happy to hear you love it!

I'm going to take a pass for now, just because I know it's way too advanced for me and I don't need to spend more $$ on a video that just sits in my collection. But maybe in the future...
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-12, 10:19 AM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

Thanks for the great review, Sue! I am surprised that you called this "barre" - from the clip there doesn't seem to be much of a dance or Lotte Berk influence. Is there more in the actual workout?
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-12, 10:19 AM  
pricek

Thank you for taking the time to write this excellent review! I can't wait to get my copy!
pricek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-12, 10:23 AM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzie View Post
Thanks for the great review, Sue! I am surprised that you called this "barre" - from the clip there doesn't seem to be much of a dance or Lotte Berk influence. Is there more in the actual workout?
Nope, not at all.

Unweighted arms - just plank work.

I seriously worked harder during this workout than I do with TJ or TF.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-12, 12:21 PM  
edensmom

Thanks for the great review. I ordered and already got my shipping notice but I started to feel nervous viewing the clip. I'm glad you found it tough! I don't need another light day workout.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-12, 12:56 PM  
Rachael1216

Thanks for sharing your review! I can't wait to receive mine!
Rachael1216 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dream body fusion