Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-12, 09:01 PM  
BamaTanya

Another question about KCM's Start Here:

I tried the sculpting section yesterday, and I'm in pain. What is the name of that move in which she's on all fours, picks up a dumbbell with one hand, and pushes it under, through to the other side, and pulls back up?
I wonder if I did something wrong that strained my back.
I have dealt with some minor back soreness, but that was decreasing since I returned to exercise in January. This pain is mid-lower/both sides. It's not that tricky hip joint of mine, but that certainly could affect my aligment.
Any tips? Other than wait and try again when it's better?

It's not terrible. I wanted to use it as an excuse to not exercise today, but I made myself do a 2 mile walking video and a few easy Pilates abs exercises. I hoped that would help to work out any soreness, and it doesn't seem any worse.
BamaTanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-12, 12:57 AM  
lrb04

What poundage of weight did you use? I don't know the name of the move but maybe you should go alot lighter and then increase it slowly. I always go lighter at first with certain upper body moves because of possible injury. Some injuries have a tendency to last longer than others. I once had bad rib/side pain that lasted months before it healed. I was using 15 pound weights (which I rarely use that heavy a weight anymore) for an upper boy move so I tend to air on the side of caution until I know my ability. Hope that helps. Keep trying and be careful!
lrb04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-12, 06:14 PM  
dmlarue1

We used to do that as a stretch in yoga and called it threading the needle. If you have any back issues I would think the rotation in this exercise may make you sore. I started off with a lighter weight and made sure to contract my abs to support my back
dmlarue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-12, 10:32 AM  
KathAL79

I know this thread is several days old, and I hope the OP's back is perfectly well.

One issue I have with Kelly's workouts is that she has a very healthy back, so she sometimes introduces moves that involve weighted twists that are no-nos for those with back issues or who don't have a back as strong and healthy as hers (ditto for shoulders, but that's another thread for another time). I'd be careful with this move, lightening up on weight and going at your own pace, or even substituting a PT move that you need to do for your particularly back / hip issues instead of doing this.
Just as an FYI, be very careful with her deadlift with a twist that she does in one of her other 30MTF DVDs - Weights? (Grr, wish I could remember which one now). Lauren does a straight on DL, which is for most people really a better option; in fact, some people will tell you there's no good reason to do it the way Kelly does at all.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-12, 10:49 AM  
sherry7899

Thanks, Kath!! There are definitely some moves of Kelly's that I have to avoid. I try to think before doing some of her weight workouts that involves the lower back back and shoulders to figure out if there is a safer way for me (I'm not saying they are unsafe for everyone, but they are for me). I appreciate your tips. I always do look to Lauren for suggestions.

Sherry

ETA:I hope the OP is feeling much better now!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-12, 11:06 AM  
BamaTanya

Thanks to all of you. My back was sore for a couple days, but then felt better.

I was using 3 lb dumbbells. I know that's lightweight, but still pretty challenging for me at my level. I'd taken a foolishly long hiatus from fitness last year and had a nasty back issue in October that convinced me I needed to get my act together and focus on some core strength. Unfortunately at that time, the chiropractor told me to lay off all exercise for a while. (Not sure if that was wise, but I did because the back pain scared me.)

I restarted the end of January alternating cardio and strength (some gentle Pilates --Ellen Barrett/Ana Caban with some traditional strength -10 Minute Solution/Cindy Whitmarsh) and was feeling pretty confident.

I actually had that workout on my schedule for today . . . I wonder, though, if I should concentrate on simple strength moves that maintain neutral alignment since I know my Achilles' heel. Maybe I'll skip that move or just use it as a stretch move with no weights for now.

Thanks for all your wisdom. I need to adjust my understanding of "beginner" to "overweight beginner in mid-40s with back trouble" and work from there.

On the plus side: I was able to do a Pilates rollup the other day that I couldn't even think of doing before. It didn't look as pretty as Ana's or Ellen's, but I did it! You can bet that was encouraging! I know I'm getting stronger!
BamaTanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-12, 11:12 AM  
Calistro

I have done this workout a couple of times, but I dont do that move for now, and even if I did, I would probabaly do it without weights at the moment.

What is the purpose of it anyway? I remember That I did the same move in a Cathe dvd a long time ago, but it was for a back stretch.
Calistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-12, 12:09 PM  
runnermom

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathAL79 View Post
I know this thread is several days old, and I hope the OP's back is perfectly well.

One issue I have with Kelly's workouts is that she has a very healthy back, so she sometimes introduces moves that involve weighted twists that are no-nos for those with back issues or who don't have a back as strong and healthy as hers (ditto for shoulders, but that's another thread for another time). I'd be careful with this move, lightening up on weight and going at your own pace, or even substituting a PT move that you need to do for your particularly back / hip issues instead of doing this.
Just as an FYI, be very careful with her deadlift with a twist that she does in one of her other 30MTF DVDs - Weights? (Grr, wish I could remember which one now). Lauren does a straight on DL, which is for most people really a better option; in fact, some people will tell you there's no good reason to do it the way Kelly does at all.

Yep- I tweaked my back doing that move in the 30MTF:Weights dvd. I put it on my shelf for a year and then traded it. Anytime I think I want it again, I remind myself how that move is NOT good for my back and SI joint.
runnermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-12, 08:29 PM  
bfit

In early February I also injured my back with one of the new KCM workouts. I think in my case it was the deadlift with staggered legs (one leg front and one leg back). I actually injured my sacroiliac joint and am just now getting back to all regular activities. I think there are a lot of KCM moves that are sort of iffy for the back, and I'm sort of wondering if I should keep doing her workouts.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-12, 05:31 AM  
CarlaShanti

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfit View Post
In early February I also injured my back with one of the new KCM workouts. I think in my case it was the deadlift with staggered legs (one leg front and one leg back). I actually injured my sacroiliac joint and am just now getting back to all regular activities. I think there are a lot of KCM moves that are sort of iffy for the back, and I'm sort of wondering if I should keep doing her workouts.
Kelly loves to twist for some strange reason. I just let her get on with it and do things a safer way (for me). I just do plain old dead lifts through those segments where she does a twisted deadlift. I do 2-legged deadlifts when she does one. I ignore other of her twisty moves as well. She loves standing abs with funky little oblique twists. I'll do them sometimes; sometimes I just leave her to it and do something else on my own. I don't like all that standing ab work, or rather, my back doesn't seem to like it.
CarlaShanti is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back issues, kcm, kelly coffey meyer, kelly coffey-meyer, start here