Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-11, 02:45 PM  
yoni

btw, I've just chatted with Mary and she"ll be getting those. she said she would probably get them a few weeks before the release so we should have a clip in august.
yoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-11, 05:19 PM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoni View Post
btw, I've just chatted with Mary and she"ll be getting those. she said she would probably get them a few weeks before the release so we should have a clip in august.
made me reach for the non-existent "like" button

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-11, 06:23 PM  
herya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibhinn View Post
I'm very interested to hear more about Advance Your Practice. I've actually been thinking for several years now that was a notable gap in the home yoga DVD market - truly intermediate and PROGRESSIVE yoga instruction to help people progress. There are DVDs with very basic instruction and DVDs with very advanced poses but - IMO, please correct me if I'm wrong - not a lot in between and almost nothing showing how one might gradually progress from one to the other (I realize consistency of practice brings progress, but not warrior pose to splits progress).
I totally agree with you Eibhinn. This is precisely the reason why DVDs are of no interest to me anymore; I take studio classes but I moved on to YogaToday downloads to augment live classes, they are way better in assisting progression.
Old 07-14-11, 01:43 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Mary now has previews for both of these:

http://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/Yoga...tice-p/516.htm

http://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/Yoga...-Set-p/554.htm

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-11, 03:31 PM  
yoni

Mary emailed me about this too. she's the best advance your practice looks interesting though dry, but I still doubt that I could do all those poses, especially full splits. but I will probably get it eventually.
Old 07-14-11, 03:45 PM  
yoni

Beth, are you going to get these?
Old 07-14-11, 04:04 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Yoni, I'm not sure; I have a contact at YJ who sometimes sends me their stuff to review. However, she usually doesn't tell me first--they just show up in the mail!

I agree that the clips look interesting. My problem with the past YJ stuff is that it just tend to be so, well, clinical. I do want to work on taking my practice to the next level, but I don't want to be bored to death while doing it! I think that a live instructor (i.e., rather than voiceover) might have worked better (although, on the other hand, that's how they did "Yoga Step-by-Step," and I found those rather clinical too ).

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 07-14-11, 07:47 PM  
laurajhawk

Advance Your Practice does look very interesting. I'm curious about the breakdown - how many sequences and how long each one is.

Do you guys recognize any of the instructors? I don't.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-11, 08:06 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Laura, in the Complete Home Practice (I'm not sure about Advance Your Practice), I definitely recognized virtually all of the models as models from the pages of Yoga Journal, including Jason Crandell, who has been featured in several of their previous DVDs. I'm not sure who was doing the voiceover.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 07-15-11, 01:25 PM  
Eibhinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
I'm not sure who was doing the voiceover.
I'm curious about the instructor as well. On the case for advance your practice, it says "learn from world renowned instructors," but the seven minute clip, which appears to be from a variety of practices, has the same voice throughout. I'm guessing the use of the plural refers to the practices being designed or narration written by different instructors? Who knows. In interested in these - they look good - but I'm not sure why Yoga Journal has such vague descriptions. I'm sure I would buy these in an instant if I knew exactly what they were....
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advance your practice, yoga, yoga journal