Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-10, 07:16 PM  
neatski

Quote:
Originally Posted by in paris View Post
No, it doesn't. P57 concentrates much more on the quadriceps, a common complaint of many barre users. The glute work, imo, is almost non-existent.

I don't mean to be rude, I just would hate for anyone to pick up P57 thinking it was a good workout for their behind. It isn't, unless you have very weak muscles and/or are using improper form.
Maybe I wasn't being clear. P57 doesn't have a greater number of exercises devoted to the glutes than TBM, but I found the glute work in P57 harder- specifically, the standing seat and pretzel work. That may simply be because the glute work in TBM (I'm thinking particularly of Change Your Body) is on the easier side, not because P57 is particularly glute-focused. I disagree, though, that the glute section in P57 would only be challenging for those with weak muscles or using improper form. It's not the hardest glute workout I've done, but when I'm concentrating on it and engaging my glutes with the tuck, boy oh boy do I feel it.

Personally, I wouldn't use either TBM or P57 if I wanted to target my glutes.

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-10, 08:21 PM  
Vanity68

I can say that Pure Barre original works my butt like nothing else....youch
Old 08-21-10, 08:29 PM  
F1mom

Quote:
I don't mean to be rude, I just would hate for anyone to pick up P57 thinking it was a good workout for their behind. It isn't, unless you have very weak muscles and/or are using improper form.
See, now I'm glad I sent P57 back. Thanks for the blunt comment.
F1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-10, 08:39 PM  
MARIKA

This took my butt to where barre fell flat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
For me personally, BBL was better at targeting and lifting my booty. Barre worked my glutes and they were firm, just not as lifted. Barre is better at working your thighs, IMO, but the booty is more my problem areas.
Love barre but was stalling w/ it & seeing no results. I devoted 2 months exclusively to BBL & had the best results I ever had all my life. It really did what it stated. I still stick it in during the week here & there. I'm really liking Cardio Barre right now because it has the reps there needed to fatigue the glutes. I really can't say enough though about BBL. I know some have a hard time sticking to a specific rotation but if you can you will be UPLIFTED!
Old 08-21-10, 09:44 PM  
Inchworm

Marika,

what type of rotation are you or did you follow for BBL? I, myself, don't follow strict rotations, BUTT (ha ha), I make sure I do both Bum Bum and High and Tight 2 times a week, with barre work on other days. Do you do ALL of the workouts in the basic set? I have only done Sculpt once and I've done and liked the ab workout.

I'd love to hear what you liked best, maybe I'm missing out on some workouts that I have on that BBL set.

Kelly
Inchworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-10, 04:11 AM  
in paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1mom View Post
See, now I'm glad I sent P57 back. Thanks for the blunt comment.
Glad I could help...

I'm one of those that enjoy P57, but that has to be my biggest gripe about the workout... When they were asking people for their opinion, along with asking for an advanced class, I asked for more glute work. (I know they do it in the studio.)

To the OP: Nobody has done a total barre bum lift video, but there are several that are more glute intensive... A few off the top of my head: Pure Barre original and PS2, the pretzel section of Super Callanetics (I use the regular one, two sets of 100 almost daily), Exhale CF Thighs and Glutes, Windsor Pilates But and Thighs, etc. and so on (excuse me if if I got some of the names wrong).

I said that I do the regular Callanetics pretzel move daily and I do -- have done so for years. I could crack nuts! I also do a series of ballet moves that are quite similar to those used in Leah's Ballet Body downloads and was pleasantly surprised to see those actually recorded

(Note: most of the ones listed above are done from a standing or sitting position. My wrists/elbows/knees have issues with quadruped work, and so I try to avoid doing those too frequently -- but they do work well.)

IMO, the most unique part of BBL was the Hight & Tight workout -- which is, essentially, barre. Thusly, barre is the best!

The secret to any of these barre workouts, if you are looking to shape, lift, and strengthen your glutes is to do these DAILY. Not necessarily the whole tape, just the sections that target those muscles and work them 5-6 days a week. Even if you only devote ten to fifteen minutes of your workout, daily, you will see and feel a change.
in paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-10, 08:06 AM  
Demeris

Quote:

IMO, the most unique part of BBL was the Hight & Tight workout -- which is, essentially, barre. Thusly, barre is the best!

The secret to any of these barre workouts, if you are looking to shape, lift, and strengthen your glutes is to do these DAILY. Not necessarily the whole tape, just the sections that target those muscles and work them 5-6 days a week. Even if you only devote ten to fifteen minutes of your workout, daily, you will see and feel a change.
I have to agree with all of this. I make sure to do some sort of glute work from either barre or high and tight (it's the only BBL tape I do with any consistency), and at 53, my rear end has never been higher or rounder or firmer. It might be a little too large to fit into my thin jeans, but I wouldn't trade it for a flatter version that did.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-10, 05:53 PM  
laurajhawk

The Bar Method Designer Sculpting (one of the old ones!) is a butt burner! Maybe the best barre-butt w/o in my collection. It's hard to get hold of that one anymore, but if you have it lying around, pull it out and give it a try.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barre, bbl, brazil butt lift