Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-21-10, 01:12 PM  
Sara1000

Can Anyone Compare Bar and BBL results?

It sure looks like bar work would be great for the butt. I have developed such a dread factor for BBL I traded them!

Anyone done both enough to compare?
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-10, 01:46 PM  
cherimac

For me personally, BBL was better at targeting and lifting my booty. Barre worked my glutes and they were firm, just not as lifted. Barre is better at working your thighs, IMO, but the booty is more my problem areas.
Old 08-21-10, 01:52 PM  
tamib

I've wondered the same thing and got rid of BBL after a week because I couldn't stand the thought of doing another one.
Cheri, what were the specific bar videos you were doing?
Thanks.

Tammy
tamib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-10, 02:08 PM  
neatski

Hm, Cheri, which bar DVDs were you doing? I'm just wondering, because the Bar Methods are definitely not heavy on glute work, and I'm wondering if more glute-heavy barre routines would produce better results. I did Leah Sarago's Ballet Body glute segments and I could barely stand up afterwards.

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-10, 03:23 PM  
cherimac

I was mostly doing Bar Method and Pure Barre P/S. I didn't like P57 at all and I think it had more glute work. Frankly, after two years of barre, I kind of burnt out and my knees were talking to me from the thigh work. Personally, I think barre is maybe like kettlebells~I would have done better with the thigh work, etc. if I'd had a live class with good instruction.

That all being said, I'm sure I'll get back to barre someday, it was really enjoyable for me.

Oh, FWIW, many people were doing Iballet at the same time and getting greater glute results~I just have a problem with audio workouts for barre.
Old 08-21-10, 04:30 PM  
neatski

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
I was mostly doing Bar Method and Pure Barre P/S. I didn't like P57 at all and I think it had more glute work. Frankly, after two years of barre, I kind of burnt out and my knees were talking to me from the thigh work. Personally, I think barre is maybe like kettlebells~I would have done better with the thigh work, etc. if I'd had a live class with good instruction.
Yeah, my knees don't like some of the thigh work. I've found that they only bother me if they come out at certain angles. I do attend a live class every few weeks, which I think helps me keep my form good. But I've wondered if people can do barre long term without having knee pain.

Yeah, P57 has WAY more glute work. I thought the original Pure Barre's glute work is pretty hard too, but I haven't done Pershing Square yet.

To the OP: I haven't done BBL, but I did lots and lots and lots of squats and lunges before I started doing barre. Since dropping the squats and lunges and adding barre, my butt is looking more "lifted"" now, plus my quadriceps are looking smaller and leaner, which makes my whole lower body profile nicer. But I think that's individual. I'm a pear and I bulk easily in my lower body.

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-10, 04:50 PM  
laurajhawk

I've gotten more consistent, noticeable results with BBL. But I think that's mostly because I work harder when I'm doing a defined rotation. I did notice some pretty quick improvement (lift & firmness) to my butt when I first started doing barre, though, and I believe barre does a pretty good job of maintaining my behind between BBL rotations.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-10, 06:29 PM  
Inchworm

Honestly, I love both and use both of them consistently. I find Bar Method defines my thighs and legs and the bent over stuff in BM gets the butt nicely. I love BBL for the butt too and it works the legs as well, but not with as much precision as BM. V-Core is another program that would fit in beautifully with this type of rotation too. I love the work in V-core and absolutely love the floor core for my entire core and upper body.

Kelly
Inchworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-10, 06:34 PM  
in paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatski View Post
Yeah, P57 has WAY more glute work. I thought the original Pure Barre's glute work is pretty hard too, but I haven't done Pershing Square yet.
No, it doesn't. P57 concentrates much more on the quadriceps, a common complaint of many barre users. The glute work, imo, is almost non-existent.

I don't mean to be rude, I just would hate for anyone to pick up P57 thinking it was a good workout for their behind. It isn't, unless you have very weak muscles and/or are using improper form.
in paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-10, 06:59 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by in paris View Post
No, it doesn't. P57 concentrates much more on the quadriceps, a common complaint of many barre users. The glute work, imo, is almost non-existent.

I don't mean to be rude, I just would hate for anyone to pick up P57 thinking it was a good workout for their behind. It isn't, unless you have very weak muscles and/or are using improper form.
I find that BBL works the glutes more than barre work, which hits the thighs more. I remember people saying iBallet hit the glutes well, and it seems like Leah Sarago's stuff does too, but I've not tried them.

For me, BBL, pretzel, and deadlifts/tall box work hits my glutes just about as well as anything. I also like table work for them, High and Tight is great for this.

Tags
barre, bbl, brazil butt lift