Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-11, 06:52 AM  
spufflez

Mermaids in Brazil Butt Lift

I've just received my Brazil Butt Lift dvds. I had a hard time doing/understanding the mermaid move. I think I was putting too much pressure on my shoulders...couldn't complete the move. Does anybody know a modification for this move that wouldn't put too much pressure on the shoulders? I'm going to try to complete this move again probably in a couple of days.
spufflez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-11, 10:27 AM  
laurajhawk

Do you do the modification with the knees on the floor? I think that takes some pressure off the shoulders. Also, try moving your hands back (wrists below shoulders); if they're out in front of your shoulders I think that puts too much pressure on the shoulders.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-11, 12:14 PM  
spufflez

I didn't see a modification in that dvd, is it explained in another dvd in the set? (I just got this set yesterday.)
Old 05-03-11, 12:27 PM  
Kesal

Quote:
Originally Posted by spufflez View Post
I didn't see a modification in that dvd, is it explained in another dvd in the set? (I just got this set yesterday.)
The modification is shown in the BBL Sculpt workout. I think. It's been about six months since I did BBL so I'm not 100% positive. There's definitely a modification shown somewhere in the set, though, and I do remember that I never mastered the "level 2" mermaid pushup .
Kesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-11, 12:29 PM  
hotncmom

Where else in the set is this movement besides Sculpt? Is "mermaid" a side plank with an overhead reach? I usually only do Bum Bum and H&T so I don't remember this move specifically.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-11, 12:57 PM  
spufflez

I used the sculpt dvd this morning and did not see a modification. I guess I'll look elsewhere in the set.
Old 05-03-11, 02:38 PM  
JP44

Quote:
I used the sculpt dvd this morning and did not see a modification. I guess I'll look elsewhere in the set.
The knee modification is shown while he is demo'ing the move in Sculpt. You can also do the push up part with your elbows out, rather than in close to your body. This will remove most of the added tricep emphasis.

Joan
JP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-11, 06:44 AM  
spufflez

I guess there is no modification when they are twisting side to side with their bodies off of the floor. I just don't have the upper body strength to pull off that move, and don't want to aggravate my shoulders. Thanks!
Old 05-04-11, 07:21 AM  
JP44

Quote:
I guess there is no modification when they are twisting side to side with their bodies off of the floor. I just don't have the upper body strength to pull off that move, and don't want to aggravate my shoulders. Thanks!
Can you hold a plank while you twist your knees to the other side, then go down for a knee mermaid push up? Then, you repeat this move for each twist.

Joan
JP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-11, 07:31 AM  
spufflez

I think I can do that! Thanks for the suggestion.

Tags
bbl, brazil butt lift, leandro carvalho