Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-14-22, 09:51 AM  
sherry7899

results from strength training focus

I joined Team Body Project and just started the "Warrior" plan, which emphasizes strength with a little boxing. I will modify/tailor it to my needs which may mean taking extra rest days as needed.

Anyway, I am a cardio junkie so this is new to me. I know there are all sorts of variables, but did anyone see a big difference in their strength and measurements after completing a strength focused rotation? I will try to ignore the scale since that derails me. I am interested in gaining strength and losing inches.

This particular rotation is three weeks, but it is actually meant to be repeated four times. I don't think I can stick with for twelve weeks, but I really want to make it through the three weeks. It may take me a little longer since I may need extra rest days.

Thanks!
Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-22, 02:37 PM  
Terry

When I was young, a strength training focus in the gym took off too many inches from my waist which looked weird. Also, repeatedly increasing weight on the leg press machine made my calves get too big for a pair of rubber boots I used for creek hikes, some shirts got uncomfortable in the shoulders and arms, laying on my back felt weird on the upper part of my back, and I started having dreams of beating things up I had previously dreamed running from.

That was the only time ever I added muscle like that. My description makes it sound like it was body builder stuff but it was only about three pounds added to skinny parts.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-22, 02:45 PM  
sherry7899

Terry, thanks for replying. I am doing this at home with free weights, and my heaviest are 19 lbs. I will not have those results!

Old 01-14-22, 03:09 PM  
bubbles76

I have had strength, definition, and balance gains from doing strength focused rotations. For me, strength focused would be doing more strength days than cardio. I've never not done cardio (it's too much fun!) but I have cut way back before.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-22, 03:18 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I have had strength, definition, and balance gains from doing strength focused rotations. For me, strength focused would be doing more strength days than cardio. I've never not done cardio (it's too much fun!) but I have cut way back before.

Thank you! I am going to do cardio twice a week. I am afraid if I stop it I will lose my cardio endurance that took so long to build up.

Old 01-14-22, 05:14 PM  
seabliss

I prefer strength-based workouts because they are the only way I've seen a visible difference in my body. I get definition in my arms, and I was able to add a little to my narrower shoulders. The strength workouts I do increase my heart rate anyway because they have short rest periods (and you can really get your heart pumping with a heavier weight and reverse lunges, for instance). A bit of muscle gives the skin something to hang on, haha! I'm never going to build big muscles as that's not my body type, but I like seeing lean definition.

Also, strength workouts make me feel strong for my everyday life experiences. They give me confidence, both externally and internally. While I definitely do cardio, if I were short on time, I would pick a strength workout over cardio.
Old 01-15-22, 04:51 AM  
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Terry, thanks for replying. I am doing this at home with free weights, and my heaviest are 19 lbs. I will not have those results!
That’s the way to do it. Free weights rule!
Old 01-15-22, 04:53 AM  
Terry

On the cardio vs strength thing: Obviously balance is a great idea, but over the years, lack of sufficient cardio is worse for me than lack of sufficient strength.
Old 01-15-22, 06:36 AM  
sherry7899

Oops typo! My heaviest weights are 10 lbs, not 19. I do hope to progress to 12'lb.

Old 01-15-22, 11:50 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Strength workouts always gave me the best results. It's a good idea to stay off the scale as your body adjusts. I can be the same weight when I'm regularly working out with weights and during phases when I slack off, but when weight training my clothes fit dramatically differently.

It's very good for stress, too. Good luck and enjoy your TBP workouts!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cardio vs weights, kcm power splits, no cardio, results, strength building, strength focus, strength training, warrior plan, weights only, weights vs cardio