Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-12-22, 05:46 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Thoughts on New KCM Workouts

Thought I'd start a new thread rather than start opining in the thread about ordering/delivery, etc.

So - I did Power Splits today. Actually, I did the "no finisher" upper body premix. The warmup was 3.5 minutes (a little long, I thought), which left only about 16 minutes for the actual upper body work before the pretty short and not very thorough stretch.

There are 3 sets of one exercise for each body part - chest, triceps, back, shoulders, biceps. I did 2 sets of each and did a different exercise for the third set. Next time I'll do 3 different ones. There are too many exercises that I really like for me to just do one 3 times. I also did them a little faster that she did so I could stretch between body parts (which she didn't do at all).

I loved the music and Kelly's attitude. I'm glad I only paid $14.99 though, since I didn't follow the workout very closely, I'll never do the finisher because I don't like kickboxing and I won't do the lower body workout because of my knees. I'll use this 20-minute workout for a really quick upper body day.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-22, 06:16 PM  
wendug

I only bought the CardioFit DVD and did both workouts yesterday. I thought they were very fun!

Workout 1 mixes boxing with lower body weight work. I think this is a great idea since boxing workouts usually leave me wanting more work for the lower body. I did notice that there is only a cool down with this workout and no real stretch.

Workout 2 is hi/low and uses light weights (I used 5 pounds as do most of the background exercisers, but Kelly uses 8. Some of the moves are quick so the 5's worked great for me.) Very fun moves, some high impact but not overly so and there is always a modifier shown. This workout does have a cool down and stretch.

The bonus RAW workout is stepboxing, but I have not done that workout yet.

The music is just okay to me, but I'm very picky when it comes to music. I would rather have no vocal instrumental/electronic music for workouts.
Old 01-14-22, 12:00 PM  
muggle

Anyone else??
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-22, 03:14 PM  
bubbles76

Muggle I plan on posting my thoughts next week. Just received my Kellys today, but I've got Gilad on tap for this week.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-22, 11:56 AM  
Fitstick

I did both of the Power Split workouts back to back. The weight segments are basic and slow enough to go heavy, you do 3sets for various body parts for upper and 4 sets for each of the basic lower body. The weighted segments were short, probably less than 20 minutes and then you have a non weighted finisher. I guess I would have preferred a longer weight workout with a bit more variety with finisher as an option since the weight workouts are short. The other drawback was that there were very few premixes options and they are all short (I think less than 30 minutes each). I typically like to do a 45 minute workout and it would have been nice if there were premix options to make your workout longer but there aren’t. You can flip through the exercise segments but it’s not as convenient as having premix options. So I guess if you are looking for something basic with short weight segments, this is for you. I really like Kelly but these workouts were not the most creative. I’ll report back on the cardio dvd after I try it.
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-22, 03:05 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I'm currently doing a Lift with Cee six week rotation on YouTube, so have not had a chance to try Kelly's new workouts yet. I might be able to preview them before Monday and post my thoughts.

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-22, 12:12 AM  
Fitstick

I did the Cardiofit hi/lo today. For some reason I thought this dvd consisted of cardio workouts but it was actually a few minutes of cardio and a few minutes of weights. The hi/lo had some boxing inspired moves, they show lo impact options. I liked the workout but not too crazy about the music- I wasn’t a fan of the vocals.
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-22, 01:19 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Upon preview only, I like the look of both finisher segments on the Power Splits DVD (which are only about 13 minutes in length.) Though they are meant as a "finisher", they would also be good to add first before the main workout, too! While the Upper Body finisher is boxing and standing ab work, I'm more intrigued with the Lower Body, which has some good mobility work for hips and some nice balance work, too! These are available as one of the premixes to do on their own.

As already described, the strength workouts are pretty basic and each are short on their own. If you're lifting heavy, I suppose that doesn't matter. The Upper Body has five exercises (incline bench presses, skull crushers, seated rows, alternate shoulder presses, and hammer curls.) As mentioned there are three sets of each exercise for chest, triceps, back, shoulders, and arms with maybe 10 to 12 reps of each. Kelly uses her 20 pound dumbbells for most of the exercises, but drops down in weight for shoulders. The other ladies use moderately heavy, but not close to what Kelly lifts...I don't think. What always makes Kelly's workouts great, is her personality. She makes what might seem like a boring workout pretty fun with her comments and sense of humor. The Lower Body has even less exercises (only three) but has four sets of each. She does squats, reverse lunges (lunging back twice for each rep) and deadlifts. Noelle does plies instead of deadlifts which is a nice alternative for anyone with back problems. Again, Kelly tries to make this fun and smiles through it all and giving shout outs to the girls, too!

There is a bonus RAW workout on here (Power Splits) and for myself, I would have to take things much slower. It's a Tabata ladder of doing the exercises for 20 seconds on with 10 second rests. They are compound moves, that take some coordination and practice and more drill oriented. Not my kind of thing, but maybe something to try for a couple reps and maybe improve upon.

The Premixes for Power Split are as follows...
Power Finishers 26:45 minutes
Power Interval Finishers 28:15
Power Upper and Lower Body (no finishers) 32:43
Power Upper (no finishers) 21:29
Power Lower (no finishers) 21:28

I like Kelly's workouts. I like the fact that this isn't a complicated routine for Upper or Lower Body. Everything is very straightforward, even with the finishers, which make a nice addition. And, I can see myself using this quite a bit if my goals are to lift heavier weights with very traditional exercises. Or, just doing the finishers when I feel like a very short boxing routine or bodyweight exercises that get the HR up a bit more. There is no dread in doing such short routines and they are truly timesaver workouts, which I appreciate.

I haven't viewed the Cardio DVD yet.

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-22, 05:18 PM  
Venus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam61 View Post
And, I can see myself using this quite a bit if my goals are to lift heavier weights with very traditional exercises.
Pam, thank you for the detailed description of Power Splits! I didn't pre-order these workouts but, after reading your post, I went back to look at the clips and I think I'm interested in these. I did a similar lower body workout last year (a paper workout), but I would prefer a video to follow. They look like good workouts for the purpose quoted above.
Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-22, 06:21 PM  
bubbles76

I did the lower body workout and finisher from Power Splits today. With the right weight, you will be sore . I was very sore and wobbly. Next time through I think for the fourth set of each exercise I will do plie squats. That way I'll get four exercises instead of three, and will feel it more in the inner thighs. Great work for me for hamstrings, quads, calves, and glutes but I don't feel sore in the inner thighs.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
30 minutes to fitness, 30mtf, kcm, kcm power splits, kelly coffey meyer, kelly coffey-meyer