Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-23-22, 05:53 PM  
nora
VF Supporter

Today, I did some mall walking as I had to pick something up there. Then I did my P90X halfsie of CST.

PP- Well I'd say skiing isn't really cold if you pick your day and know how to dress for it. As for dangerous, I stick to easy runs only and stay under control as I'm a chicken by nature. Hell, walking down the street last winter proved to be more dangerous for me! Sorry to hear that you are feeling the cold down in Tenn too. Up north here, we are all prepared for that, but where you are not so much. Don't get me wrong though. I hate the extreme cold!

How's the self-motivation going SB?

Hi Cambet!
Old 01-24-22, 09:16 AM  
cambet

Hi Ladies,

Friday we did another restorative yoga practice in my class. It was interesting because we asked the students how they were feeling about the restorative practices (many of them had never done yoga before, let alone restorative yoga), and while many said that it felt great, others said that the longer session on Thursday (it was about 1 hour and 45 minutes vs the 1 hour and 10 min session on Wednesday) had been a bit too much for them and left them feeling anxious. . So, she limited the practice on Friday to a little over on hour and it seemed to go really well. Many of the students checked in with me on their way out to let me know that had enjoyed it. I guess for over-achieving, kind of anxious by nature college students, doing a relaxing practice for more than an hour and 10 minutes or so seems to be counter-productive.

I made it to 7,976 steps for the day, so I was planning to do a 20 min workout after dinner to make it to 10,000 steps for the day, but I ended up falling asleep on the sofa where I was warm and cozy (we got more snow, just a light dusting really, on Friday night).

Saturday I did some cleaning and went to a basketball game at my school with two of my Italy crew friends, so there was a lot of walking. I also did parts of CH: Down & Dirty throughout the day. Made it to over 10,000 steps for the day.

Yesterday I did most of CH Elite: Wild Horse just to get in some movement throughout the day.

Today in class we are doing a flow yoga practice. Hopefully, it'll be good.

Penguin - I know what you mean about the cold! It's been in the 30s and 40s here. It was really hard walking around outside on Friday; it was uncomfortably cold. I'm sure you'll get back to working out when things warm up some.

Nora - Wow, you're doing a great job with your P90X halfies and other workouts. I've never been skiing--it seems a little intimidating to me--but I would like to try it some day. Glad to know there are *easy runs* .

Waves to Summer Breeze!
Old 01-25-22, 09:11 AM  
cambet

Hi Ladies,

Yesterday we did flow yoga in my class for about an hour and 15 minutes. While I really liked the instructor (we had the same instructor last week Wed-Fri, but a new instructor yesterday) because she was very personable and light-hearted, I didn't enjoy the practice very much. I felt like she didn't explain what to do well, so for those new to yoga, they were kind of going through the motions not sure of what they were doing, and they probably didn't have great form.

I have experience with yoga and knew what to do, but still struggled at times, so I just went into child's pose a lot. It was amazing to me that I can do poses at home with no problem (like tree pose or dancer's pose), but seemed to not be able to keep my balance with them there. I guess I'm just more used to doing them in the comfort of my own home, so I'm able to concentrate better. She did one pose where she said the up-level was going into a head stand, and then she did, and there were 2 girls in the class with lots of experience with yoga, so they went into a modified head stand pose too and then other students started trying it and I discouraged them from doing so, and then she said something like: I showed you because I think it's neat to be able to build up to a headstand but it's not a competition so it's okay if you can't do it and I was said to myself: then why the heck would you even show them such an advanced move?

So, it was good for the students to do a different type of yoga, but I thought that the instruction could have been better. I'm not sure what type of yoga we're doing today.

I made it to 7,800 steps by last night and had planned to do 22 mins of Country Heat before midnight, but I fell asleep on the sofa before then.

Waves to All!
Old 01-25-22, 10:59 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Good morning!

I wanted to say hi to everyone. Still reading but nothing to post unfortunately.
Still can't my motivation going but I think my back is slowly improving *knock wood*.
Carrying the groceries in yesterday triggered a pretty bad flare-up so caution is still the key word.

CAMBET, I'm glad your pep talk to me worked for you. I think a one hour 45 minute yoga practice would leave me anxious too. Hopefully one or 2 students will continue on with yoga themselves after this exposure. Good step totals.

NORA, nice job on the skiing and your other activities. Yeah the self-motivation still needs a little more work but I'll get there.

Waves to PENGUIN.

Have a great day all!
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-22, 01:22 PM  
nora
VF Supporter

Monday: Steve Sheimer Step and a mile of Leslie
Tuesday: I went skiing again
Wednesday" P90X halfsie B and Bis and Steve Sheimer cardio

SB- I'm sorry to hear that your back is still acting up.

Cambet- Good for you on the yoga. That (and stretching generally) is sorely missing in my daily exercise.

PP- Still chilly there?
Old 01-28-22, 09:35 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Good morning!!

Yesterday was:

Pahla B Metabolic Conditioning - Dumbbell Burn

I like Pahla's metabolic weight workouts and this worked out pretty well. I was a little concerned with the deadlifts but I kept my knees bent to relieve any strain. I feel about the same today if not a tad better so that's a good thing. Not pain free but definitely improvement *knock wood*

NORA, nice workouts. Are you getting any of this blizzard that's heading our way?
I think it's more of a coastal event but we're in for maybe a foot of snow

Waves to CAMBET & PENGUIN!

Have a wonderful day!
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-22, 09:26 PM  
patchworkpenguin

I finally did another work out :-) I did Improved Health’s Fast Walk with Intervals.

Nora, it’s still cold down here the low temperatures are going to get into the teens for a while. yuck. Overall it seems colder this year than last year

Cambet, The thought of doing the same thing for almost 2 hours (especially yoga which I don’t really enjoy ) seems to make me crazy too. I also know I have sat on the couch and crocheted and watched a movie for about that length of time, so it seems to be a perception of time and possibly whether it’s enjoyable time or not.

SB, I’m glad to see that you have posted a work out! Deadlifts seem to bother my back also.

"An exercise in futility still counts as exercise!"

"There's a pattern to the randomness!" ~ Artie ~ Warehouse 13

"Weakness is hard, but weakness doesn't have to mean defeat!" ~ Lysa TerKeurst

"That's the only break you get, so I hope you enjoyed it" ~~Cathe, STS, Meso 2

patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-22, 08:52 AM  
cambet

Hi Ladies,

I started posting the other day but then had to stop before I finished because something came up and I had to get to work quickly.

Tuesday in my class we did yin yoga. I really enjoyed it, although the instructor was supposed to teach for 1 hour and 10 mins and she only did 50. It seemed like she ended abruptly, and I felt a bit disappointed since it had been such a nice practice. I made it to over 8,200 steps by night time but fell asleep before I could get in more cardio for the day.

Wednesday was the last day of yoga in class. This instructor, who had incredible energy, started out with flow and then ended with some restorative yoga. It was a really good class also and the students seemed to enjoy it. I made it to over 7,000 steps by night time but fell asleep before I could get in more cardio.

Thursday we started the *hike* portion of the class. We did a 3-mile walk/hike on a local trail that took exactly 1 hour (pace was about 19 mins per mile, which I think is really good for a class of 25 with 2 instructors). I had never walked there before but I liked it a lot and will definitely return. I ended up with over 16,000 steps for the day.

Yesterday we took a field trip to a national park in NC to hike. When we got there the main trail, the one we had planned to hike, was closed, so my co-prof, who had been there before, basically decided to cut everything short (she had ulterior motives because after we found out the main trail was closed she mentioned something about wanting to get back early), so we all did a short 35 min hike, and then we had the students do another 35 min trail and we met them with the vans to pick them up. It was a beautiful location, but upon thinking about it last night, I was disappointed that I, personally, and the students, didn't get to do more hiking while we were there and if I could do it over, I would have insisted that we walk more of the smaller trails. It was only an hour away, but it was a long way to go to do so little there (especially for me and her. I essentially drove an hour to walk for a little over 30 mins ). I only made it to over 9,200 steps for the day.

Not sure what I will do today for exercise, but I know I have a lot of cleaning to do around the house.

SB- Great job with the Paula B workout! Sending positive vibes that you keep seeing improvement!

Penguin - Glad to hear that you got back to working out! In hindsight, yes, I think that the (well, it was really about 1 hour and 40 mins) yoga class was too long.

Nora - Great job with your workouts! I was would like to incorporate more stretching and/or restorative type yoga into the end of my day.
Old 01-29-22, 06:48 PM  
nora
VF Supporter

SB- I think that storm is going to go east of us. We haven't seen any action yet at all. I hope you get some help with your shoveling!

Cambet - You're right about an hour drive being too much for a 30 minute hike. That must have been disappointing.

PP-I agree that this winter seems colder than usual. On the plus side, we're almost done with January.

I've done a couple of 1 hour walks, some step and kept up with my halfsies. I'm already starting week 5 of that tomorrow. (BTW, I'm only doing 3 workouts of P90X per week - just the weight ones. Not the kenpo, cardio, yoga or stretch ones.)

Enjoy the rest of the weekend ladies and stay warm.
Old 01-30-22, 11:31 AM  
cambet

Hi Ladies,

Yesterday I did CH Elite: Wild Horse and most of Rope & Ride to make it to over 10,500 steps for the day. I didn't get as much cleaning done as I had hoped, so I'm going to work on that today.

Nora- Great job with your workouts! I'm so impressed that you have stuck with P90X halfsies! You're right, that was a long way for me to go to get so little out of it. I feel very disappointed and more and more annoyed that my co-prof kind of shortchanged us on the trip basically because she wanted to get back early (after we found out the main trail was closed). I had on multiple layers and was primed for a challenging walk in the mountains. I'm also annoyed with myself because though she was *in charge* of the trip plan because she had been there before, I should have also looked at things more closely so that I could have more fully participated in the decision about an alternate plan after we found out the main trail was closed. I looked more closely into it yesterday and we could have easily all done another hour of hiking on shorter trails. I guess it's just a good reminder to not just rely on others, but to keep yourself informed when traveling and making plans with other people.

Waves to SB and Penguin!