Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-21, 03:19 PM  
Leonana

Beth, thanks for the pointer on drawing the two hips together. I will try that.

I’d probably do better in a Pilates class, with form correction, but it’s not in the budget. But I'm doing okay with the other stretches, fortunately.
Old 12-10-21, 04:50 AM  
Negin

Wanted to touch base with everyone. How is everyone doing?

My pain/discomfort is easing up. I've been doing one sciatic/piriformis routine every day - all from the ones linked here, and one CS/'Essentrics. Plus, I try, but don't always succeed, to take breaks through my day with short stretches - figure-4, and so on. When I do those, I notice a huge improvement. When I don't, it's awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
are you still doing Pahla B's workouts? I ended up having to stop doing her stuff as I found it was really aggravating something in my lower back/hip/SI - not sure what it was - but I found that whenever i went back to doing her stuff my pain got worse.
Donna, yesterday, I reluctantly chose to unsubscribe from her channel. I may subscribe again in the future, but I realize that I already subscribe to more than enough. Also, I think that many of her workouts may lead to injury or pain. I'm getting older and realize that I need to be more gentle with my body. Hope that all is well with you. Hope that your pain has eased up.
Old 12-10-21, 10:38 AM  
Leonana

Negin, that’s great it’s working for you. I do a lot of short stretches also, and that keeps me pretty pain free. Figure 4 is a lifesaver for me.

However, I need to incorporate more of the longer stretch workouts. If I do just strength training, I start getting sore again. If I break it up with a yoga or stretch workout during the week, I feel much better.
Old 12-10-21, 10:44 AM  
donnamp

Negin - glad you are feeling better!!! I have been having a touch of the CS bug, myself! I'm still subscribed to Pahla's channel, but I don't do her workouts any more. I admit, I'm tempted, but going back over my past workout logs (the Just the Workouts check in) there is definitely a pattern of my pain coming back after doing her stuff for any length of time. I don't know what it is about her workouts that aggravates my back/hip - but something does for sure.

I'm finding that the old school floorwork does wonders for my issues. I think b/c of the hip and glute focus of it. It isn't all that different than the Annie Pilates PT series that I like. A lot of the side lying leg work really does help me!

I hope everyone is doing well.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-21, 02:27 AM  
Negin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
If I do just strength training, I start getting sore again. If I break it up with a yoga or stretch workout during the week, I feel much better.
This is me also. The pain/discomfort returns if I don't do yoga or stretching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
going back over my past workout logs (the Just the Workouts check in) there is definitely a pattern of my pain coming back after doing her stuff for any length of time. I don't know what it is about her workouts that aggravates my back/hip - but something does for sure.

I'm finding that the old school floorwork does wonders for my issues. I think b/c of the hip and glute focus of it. It isn't all that different than the Annie Pilates PT series that I like. A lot of the side lying leg work really does help me!
Donna, you're so wise to keep a workout log and notice patterns. I should do that also. I need to do that also. I'm not sure if Pahla's workouts aggravate me or not. If I kept a log, I'd have a better idea. It's interesting that her workouts seem to aggravate your back/hip. I believe that I've heard her say that she has those tendencies herself also. I know that she went through years of PT. I don't have that luxury these days. Hence why I'm going more gentle.

And yes, I love the old-school floorwork type of stuff - all the stuff that strengthens the hips.
Old 12-14-21, 10:01 PM  
Honeydew

I haven't read through all the replies but the exercises in this video give me instant pain relief..video is titled how to fix piriformis syndrome https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFtUgS69rPk
Honeydew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-22, 11:09 AM  
SFR
VF Supporter

I want to add to this thread in case anyone searches for the tag piriformis.

I've had intense glute pain for a long time now. It would appear in either side randomly. I've tried adjusting my workstation and doing all kinds of stretching, but nothing has worked. I've had a hard time sleeping because of it. It had been especially bad since I had a back spasm in early December.

I recently had really good results with a combination of the nerve gliding mentioned by Honeydew and Dean Pohlman's Bulletproof Your Back workouts on Man Flow Yoga.

The nerve gliding technique I used was in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPPtVFmI4kA This has a slightly different technique than demonstrated in the video suggested by Honeydew. They probably both work.

Thanks to donnamp for mentioning the Man Flow Yoga January challenge in another thread. That prompted me to explore the site and discover all the back workouts.

I knew Dean's training philosophy helps me because I have his Better Back Yoga DVD, but the one short routine wasn't really enough. The stuff on his website is more challenging for me and I obviously need all the hip/glute/core/back strengthening.
Old 01-20-22, 12:01 PM  
fanofladyvols

SFR and Honeydew thank you!

Question:
I did notice the head position was different (one tucked while leg out other stretched head back while leg forward)

I couldn't tell if your shoulders should be rounded or pelvis tucked ..what do you guys do?

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-22, 01:04 PM  
SFR
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post

Question:
I did notice the head position was different (one tucked while leg out otger stretched head back while leg forward)

I couldn't tell if your shoulders should be rounded or pelvis tucked ..what do you guys do?
Hmm...I don't pay attention to my shoulders and pelvis so they do what they want while I focus on my neck and leg.

It looks like Bob and Brad do it like the Spine Society recommends - head down when foot is down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85OEGNd9DIE

They give a lot of pointers.
Old 01-20-22, 01:26 PM  
fanofladyvols

Thank you, Lisa !

( and really everyone on this thread!)

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
butt/glute workout, dean pohlman, glute activation, hip and glute pain, hip pain, man flow yoga, nerve flossing, nerve gliding, pain relief, piriformis