Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-06, 12:30 PM  
Tish

Dynamic Power - Annika Carlson

I've never posted a review but so little has been mentioned on this one and I feel it's worthy of a little recognition! I have no affiliation with the instructor but I've become a fan since receiving this dvd! Here are my thoughts/impressions after doing it once two days ago. Hopefully I can cover it enough to do the dvd justice.

Dynamic Power -- Annika Carlson

This is supposed to be a blend of pilates and yoga moves. While it was heavy on the yoga, there were fewer pilates moves. The instruction is purely athletic and even the yoga postures have a fusion feel to them.

I would say this is an intermediate workout along the lines of Kari's Reach and ALC 2. The beauty of this workout is each pose can be adjusted to fit your level of strength and flexibility. She shows 3 modifications for beg, inter, and advanced. These modifications are not intrusive and do not hinder the workout. This is not a fast power yoga workout. Each pose takes time to set up but every move flows nicely into the next with a gentle deliberate feel to it.

The workout itself is 60 minutes but comes with excellent chaptering. It is broken into these parts:
Awaken
Dynamics
Balance
Empower
Unwind

I would classify Awaken as a nice warm up that slowly builds. Dynamics, Balance, Empower all had many standing poses. Those 3 chapters flow into one another and nothing specific stands out in my mind to separate them after doing it once. There are chattarangas and side planks to work the arms and core. There were a few moves to work the back. I was expecting Unwind to be a nice stretch but here's where the bulk of the pilates showed up. While there were some nice hip openers, I felt the ab work came at the wrong point in the workout (just my preference). I was ready to relax!

At the end is a brief meditation. It's not spiritual, more of a reach your potential and celebrate your achievements dialogue.

There is a chapter on modifications that I haven't watched yet.

The music is light and unobtrusive elevator type. I found the production values to be good. The set is simple with no distractions. She works out on a wood floor with 2 yoga mats. The background is black with a few brightly colored screens.

I like Annika as an instructor. I found her form to be good, and she cues very well. She is smooth and calm without unnecessary chatter. The instruction focused on form points.

My over all impressions: I really like this workout. The poses were choreographed so well that everything blends nicely. I didn't find it too challenging so it won't replace power yoga as far as intensity. But I broke a sweat, hit every muscle group and felt well worked when it was finished. Again, it reminds me of Kari's workouts with a graceful feel to it but not as dancy as Kari's. This one will be a regular part of my rotations. A clip can be viewed at fitnessorganica.com.
Tish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-06, 01:16 PM  
yoni

Wink

Thanks Tish, I've been waiting for a review on this, it's sounds good.
yoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-06, 02:36 PM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

Thanks for the review, Tish! I have been intrigued in this workout for a while and I think I may just take the plunge now.
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-06, 03:48 PM  
MariaKatherine

Awesome review! I've been intrigued by this workout for a long time, ever since I first saw the clip on Fitness Organica. Because of your sentiments and experiences with this workout, I might consider getting it. Thanks, I guess!

"You've got to say, I think that if I keep working at this and want it badly enough I can have it. It's called perseverance."
--Lee Iacocca
MariaKatherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-06, 03:53 PM  
Tish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaKatherine
I might consider getting it. Thanks, I guess!
You're welcome! For once, I'm the one enabling instead of being enabled!
Tish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-06, 05:56 PM  
Crescent Moon
VF Supporter

Thanks for the review! I noticed recently that www.powermusic.com had this DVD for $19.95.

Noel
Crescent Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-06, 01:22 PM  
Gilda
VF Supporter

Cool

Just wanted to let you know that Annika is also the instructor in Yoga for Wimps. Our own bdandy uses a quote from Annika in her signature.

Smiles,
Gilda
(and a big hello to Noel)

Reminder to self: Fitness, Finances, FICO
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-07, 08:46 PM  
lbrtyparrismommy

Any new opinions of this one?

Hi,

I'm reviving this thread to see if there are any new opinions or reviews of this workout. Thanks for any information. I went to fitness organica but they no longer have it so I can't watch the preview.
lbrtyparrismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-07, 02:28 AM  
Vee

I could not find the clip at fitness organica. But power music has it (thanks Noel) here

The clip is intriguing. I want this!
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-07, 02:10 PM  
lbrtyparrismommy

Vee-Thank you so much for finding that clip for me. I really wanted to see this since it hasn't been reviewed widely.
lbrtyparrismommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annika carlson, power music