Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-07-06, 08:29 AM  
TinaT

Does Anyone Consider Yard Work As....

a form or working out? I DO!!! I spent 4 hours working in my yard. Pulling weeds, moving rocks, digging, planting, etc. My upper body was spent by the time I got done. I couldn't lift my arms. Not to mention I got my heart rate up a time or two, (or three). It was a great upper body workout.

My legs felt it as well, especially the hamstrings. Anyone else count yard work as their workout for the day?
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-06, 08:31 AM  
boakley
VF Supporter

You Bet!

I definitely count it because it usually means I've nothing left to give to at the end of the day. Can you say "fall into bed"? LOL

Beth

Tom Petty
boakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-06, 08:32 AM  
~^~RedFlame~^~
VF Supporter

Absolutely! I always count a tough day in the yard as a workout! Shoveling snow for any length of time is also a definite workout, core, upper body, arms, legs from squatting, whether to pick up a shovel of snow, or to pull weeds, IT'S ALL GOOD!!! I tell my clients to definitely put the yard work on their workout calendar and count the time.

Proud GRADUATE of P90X!! TWICE Class 2007&2008!!
Burn Burn BUUUUURRRRRNNNN!

One's main goal in life is to give birth to oneself.
If you are not busy being born, you are busy dying!
~^~RedFlame~^~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Pat58
VF Supporter

Absolutely. I have days where everything I want to do (including exercise) just cannot be squeezed in. If the house or yard needs to be addressed, than rather than working out I'll go into the job and tackle it with high energy, counting it as my functional fitness for the day.

I do the same with snow shoveling in winter. I have a rotation and do sets and reps on alternating sides and do "cardio bursts" of fast and light shovel-and-throws. Whew!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
ldy_solana

most certainly. it has been said before the yard word burns the most calories of all the housework one can do.

kassia
ldy_solana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-06, 08:36 AM  
Rosebud

absolutely

It sure does count as a workout! My blood sugar levels sure tell me it does! I love to be out in the garden and dig and pull and plant - I count mowing the lawn when I use the push mower too! Walk, walk, walk -- our yard is not very small..... lots of mowing!

Rosemary
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-06, 09:09 AM  
Sollamyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose
It sure does count as a workout! My blood sugar levels sure tell me it does! I love to be out in the garden and dig and pull and plant - I count mowing the lawn when I use the push mower too! Walk, walk, walk -- our yard is not very small..... lots of mowing!

Rosemary
Same here. I have a larger yard than most in-town houses. And I just have a push mower--takes me about 80 minutes if I do the whole thing at once--and some of it isn't flat ground. Afterwards, I'm exhausted, so I count mowing grass or any tough yardwork (raking and bagging leaves, for example) as a workout. I usually try to do a stretch workout afterwards, though (just like you do in a 'real' workout!).
Sollamyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-06, 09:13 AM  
Harivelo

You bet it does. Online calorie calculators include yard work as a cardio workout.
Harivelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-06, 09:23 AM  
cowfishpro

Hmmm...interesting thought. I don't know that I would count it as my workout for the day exclusively, but I would consider it a supplement to my workouts. I does give a nice little boost to that ole metabolism.

I'm finding more and more, as I age, that activity throughout the day is a big key to maintaining good health and optimal weight. So yard work does qualify for me in that way.
Old 06-07-06, 09:28 AM  
Lucysql
VF Supporter

Oh yeah!

Definitely. No power tools here - non-electric push mower, shovel, hoe and cultivator for gardening, etc. It's absolutely a strength workout, plus you move in ways that no workout mimics so it provides a more dynamic "velocity" and balance workout as well.

Don't really count it as cardio - although my HR does go up, I think of it as more analogous to a higher HR during a strength workout.

It's all good!
Lucysql is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yard max