Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 09-01-22, 06:38 AM  
cyana

Barefoot & On the Mat September 2022: Welcoming My Favorite Month!

Welcome to the monthly Barefoot & On the Mat (aka Mat Mavens) check-in for September 2022!

We are a small, cozy, and welcoming group who perform a wide variety of workouts, but we have a special love for those that are performed barefoot. If you are a fan of such workouts (Barre, Pilates, Yoga, Fusion, Classical Stretch/Essentrics, Ellen Barret, Kettlebells, etc.), or even traditional workouts performed barefoot, you are welcome. And even if you wear shoes for workouts, come on in -- we won't tell!

Our welcome mats are always rolled out, and we love hearing from new, returning, and guest Mat Mavens!

And to honor my favorite month, here are links to two versions of September: Leonid and Friends: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5XmUnYW5Ks . And the original, in honor of the wonderful Maurice White - Earth, Wind & Fire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs069dndIYk

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-22, 06:44 AM  
cyana

A quick mid-week wave to all.

Except for my morning stretching routine, I got a big fat zero for yesterday, as far as working out is concerned. I slept on my right side for most of the night (Tuesday night) and my shoulder was a most unhappy camper yesterday. I slept on my back all night last night and it feels much better today, thank goodness.

The return to work hasn't been bad. I think it's the calm before the storm, as we're now in the official beginning of our busy season, so I expect things to pick up after the Labor Day week-end. I shall definitely enjoy every minute of my 3 day week-end. Does anyone have any big plans? I'll go to the farmer's market and do stuff around the house. Lee's having a workshop on Sunday, but I'll likely pass.

Waves to ALL!

Old 09-01-22, 09:19 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Good morning all! Thank you for starting us Cyana! My yesterday featured:

~ LWR Posture Challenge Day 15
~ Yin class
~ 5,289 step

Heidi's last yin class was so beautiful and so sad. It's not just yin - it's the deeply meditative and loving things she says to us throughout the practice. Reiki was pouring down all over the room. After the class everyone described their pure zoned out bliss. She played one of her husband's gongs at the end of meditation. Lots of gentle tears. She gave us business cards and urged us to keep in touch and join her on Signal. I asked if she will still be having distance Reiki appointments and she said "I don't see the Universe saying no." I'm very sad that my work schedule prevented me from attending this class prior to the last one.

But I'm very happy for her - they are moving to a village in France, renting an apartment and won't even have a car. Everything they need is within walking or biking distance, or public transportation. It sounds idyllic. If they don't care for France after a year they'll move to another country or come back.

Today is my Friday and I have to finish up social time - make it a great day ladies!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-22, 09:53 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Cyana, thank you for staring our new month. I love the Leonid & Friends link you posted!
So tell me why September is your favorite month.
We have no plans for Labor Day weekend.

Pat, wow--Heidi is making an enormous move! I hope she loves living in France. Maybe she will offer Zoom classes so you can attend her classes remotely. I had not heard of "Signal" before you mentioned it.

Pam, you have to workout at the time of day that is best for you. If I don't workout in the morning, it usually doesn't ever get done so morning workouts are best for me. I wake up usually sometime between 4am to 5:30am.
Enjoy your visit with friends and the rest of your vacation!

Carolyn, Thank you for the link to Joelle's challenges. I signed up for the 5 day Yin Yoga challenge.
I bet it's hot where you live. Stay hydrated!

Beth, I'm glad you and your DH had a nice trip.

I'm waving to everyone!
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-22, 01:31 PM  
Garrie A.

HAPPY SEPTEMBER!!

It's my favorite month of the year (other than May, my birthday month), mainly because the stresses of my bookstore job disappear after a crazy August. Thankfully Fall rush wasn't nearly as stressful this year as it has been in the past, but it was still hectic and had long hours. I had many Work Max-es as "workouts" last month (lots of steps).

(Had to catch up from the previous month, so excuse my long post!)

Cyana: I taught a Zumba class this morning and used the original September as my pre cool-down. The right side of my neck was stiff yesterday, and I think sleeping on my right side had something to do with it. I used to be a side sleeper, but prefer sleeping on my back now. Yesterday I went shoe shopping because I was envious of some Chelsea boots that my ex-BF's BF has. (Also went fabric shopping, too.)

Pat: That's a big move for your yoga teacher. I'd love to visit France one day.

Beth: I saw pictures of your trip on FB; looks like you had a great time! And how fun that you met someone in person who also discovered yoga from home media.

Carolyn: Yes, gliders work the muscles in a different way. I like when Cathe uses them in some of her lower body workouts--Great Glutes has a good section using them and I love when she uses them for an elevated reverse lunge in PHA 3, although I hate when she uses them for cardio. When I was a Tracie Long junkie a few years ago I enjoyed when she used them, although at the time I was still working out in my parents' bedroom (with shaggy carpeting) and had to use styrofoam plates as my makeshift gliders. I was glad to snatch up a pair at Goodwill a while back (they are the blue PiYo slides).

Sandra: Sounds like you have some fun things planned for retirement! My three pairs of ankle weights are gathering dust.

Pam: Hope you are enjoying your trip!

Paine: I was always in awe when you did Original BoS with ankle weights. I could probably use them for the all 4s work but NOT for the side lying section at all! It's funny because back when I was a Firm junkie I always used 2-4 lb. ankle weights for Susan's killer floor work in Volume 1 and a 5-8 lb. dumbbell when she added the 10 lb. one to her leg (um, no thank you!).

Margot: I'll have to check out that brownie recipe.

(Part 2 coming up)
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Retro Rotation!!

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-22, 01:48 PM  
Garrie A.

Cyana: I have lots of lower body floorwork likes:
-Winsor Buns & Thighs (both the original and power sculpt)
-Firm Volume 1, The Hare, and Heidi's killer tablework from Firm Cardio
-Karen Voight's GWW
-Any Margaret Richard
-Brazil Butt Lift High & Tight
-Several Cathes (Gym Style Legs has a great, long floorwork section that stands perfectly on its own. I also like the floorwork in Butts & Guts, Great Glutes, and Xtrain Legs. And while I haven't tried it yet, I've heard good things about ICE: To the Mat.)
-The glute section from Ballet Physique: Amped Up (Starts with side lying floorwork, moves into pretzel, then table work. You fatigue one glute completely before working the other.)
-The "Pretzel Clam Combo" from Tracy Effinger's Squeeze Stronger (that little 12 minute section alone is why I have two copies of it)
-Barlates Ankle Weight Butt Sculptor (I use NO ankle weights and it still burns!)

A few weeks ago I also picked up a Leslie Sansone at Goodwill (7 Day Calorie Blast), that has Shortcuts Lower Body on it which is all floorwork (except for a short walking warm-up at the beginning).

I only have one workout plan for September: get back into a consistent (but varied) routine.

Waves all around!
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Retro Rotation!!

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-22, 07:28 PM  
YogaGal

cyana: Thanks for starting us off on the Glorious Month of September! I’m looking forward to sub-100-degree highs and good bike riding days. I hope you enjoy your 3-day week-end!

Pat: What a bittersweet final class you had with Heidi. Hopefully you can stay in touch with her.

Paine: Oh yes, I drink plenty of water to stay hydrated! And I hope you enjoy Joelle’s 5-day Yin Yoga challenge. I just finished Day 4 this morning; I’ve enjoyed all of them!

Garrie: So happy to hear from you and learn that your August rush period is over. The gliders engaged my ab muscles in a way that using the plates never did, so I’m looking forward to using them often. It was a good fitness purchase!

On Thursday I did Jessica’s Energy Boost Walk from 5 Mix & Match Miles and Yoga with Joelle’s Yin Yoga Morning Practice - No Props & Beginner Friendly, 17 min
Old 09-01-22, 07:43 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

cyana thanks for starting us off! I am still in denial that it's September. I have had those nights where I sleep all on one side and wake up cranky. No plans for the weekend, although I'm glad to have the holiday!

Pat, wow, that does sound like an idyllic new life for your yoga teacher! I know you'll be sad to lose her class though.

Paine has your older grandson started school yet? My new boss had to do a kindergarten visit for his daughter's first day today.

Garrie good to see you! Glad your fall rush hasn't been too unbearable. Classes started at the college where I work on Monday - I had a lot to catch up on today because I was out M-W, but I haven't seen any clients yet.

Carolyn, have you closed up your house up north, or will you still get there a few times.

I did a lot of walking while away but no workouts (well, I did try to do a few rounds of pretzels a few times). Today I got back in the groove with Hamelin and plan to continue his workouts approximately every other day.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-22, 09:53 PM  
JustSandra

Hi all!

Cyana: Thank you for starting us off this month!

Today's Workout: It is *hot* out there and will likely stay that way for another solid week. Since I've been feeling kind of creaky lately anyway, I think I'm going to dial things back exercise-wise and concentrate on stretching and rehab during this heat wave. To that end today I did the Lying Poses For Flexibility routine from Jane Adams's Yoga For Beginners. This one is magical for me! I love how it unlocks my lower back.

Garrie: Hey there! Glad you are over the fall bookstore rush. You've reminded me I've been meaning to pull out Squeeze Stronger to see if it will work for me as a lower body routine -- it has been so long since I've done.t

Waving to all!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-22, 07:01 AM  
cyana

TGIF!!!

Hoping today will be quiet since I'm the only one on my team who is working today - fingers crossed. Since the boss will be leaving at noon, I'm hoping others will slowly trickle out the door after him and maybe I can work on some of my continuing education requirements this afternoon since I have to renew my professional certification this fall.

Good to see you, Garrie.

Will chat over the week-end. Waves to ALL!

Song for today: Work to Do - Average White Band - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLgBw4BhiKE