Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-17, 10:16 AM  
Trixoo
VF Supporter

Best and Worst of 2016

By now somebody has usually started this thread, but I haven't seen it yet, so I have to ask: what were your best and worst fitness finds/purchases of 2016?

My best was "finding" Jessica Smith. Yeah, I've known about her for a long time, but considered her workouts too easy. I had a few injuries and needed to try something new and gosh I'm glad I tried some of Jessica's workouts. Some of her workouts are indeed on the easy side, but some are harder than one would think. Love, love, love the 4 DVDs she issued over the summer (especially Build Balance and Inner Strength) and pretty much everything else of hers I've purchased.

My worst was anything with too many push-up and planks, just because of injuries. I previewed Piyo and UFC Fit and, well, no. Probably good workouts, but into the VF Roost pile they go.

Under review: Cathe's Strong & Sweaty. I love the one workout I've done so far (PHA), but I need to try the other 4 before giving it a yay or nay.

So, how about you?
Trixoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-17, 10:25 AM  
PhyllisG

I didn't really have a worst in 2016. My best was definitely ICE and Nadia Narains yoga DVDs. Love them.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-17, 10:31 AM  
LoveVA

I didn't have a worst either.

The best was a surprise for me. I discovered KCM late in the year, so I would have to say that Your Best Body was my best purchase of the year. Until then, I would have said that Cathe's Kick Punch Crunch would have been my best purchase.
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-17, 10:39 AM  
sherry7899

I don't think I had a worst for 2016.

My best find was finally figuring out what cardio I really enjoyed, which motivated me to stick with doing cardio. I love the Soul Sweat workouts from Alchemy of Movement on powhow.com. I bought a month membership at half price and downloaded a ton of classes. The music is wonderful, and I really enjoy learning steps for one song and then moving on-no "take it from the top" over and over. The instructors have a variety of styles and personalities, so I just pick whomever I feel like working out with for the day. The dance styles range from modern/jazz to hip hop, a little Latin and African and more. There are different styles within each class, so I am never bored. I am a music geek, and have been exposed to artists I hadn't heard before. (which of course led to buying some new cds....)

I have gotten better at picking up dance steps from using these since September. That led to be retrying some dance dvds I had given up on. I am a cardio klutz, so it feels great to be better at picking up steps after years of frustration. I'll never be able to do complex choreography, but since these aren't-that is fine! I've been using the NIA dvds, Soul Sweat, Yodates, Planet Motion , Misty Tripoli and Bollywood be Moved dvds as well.

I am thankful to have found cardio that works for me. I have chronic pain issues in my shoulder/neck/lower back from a car accident. Walking workouts really bother my low back/hip flexors, and I cannot do kickboxing very often because it hurts my neck and shoulders. The dance workouts can be done without me feeling pain, and it loosens up all those areas, which is a big plus.

I've also really liked using yoga practices from you tube. I'm mainly using the Yoga TX channel. Up until the holidays, they were posting three new classes a week. I think they are getting back to that now. Most practices are in the twenty or twenty five minute range which is perfect for me since I'm doing (amazing for me) about an hour of cardio beforehand.

Now I just need to get back to strength training, and I'm set for the year

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-17, 10:43 AM  
cecififi

My best of 2016 has been Cathe's Workout Blender. I subscribed to Cathe Live on and off but just cannot stop using the blender ever since taking the plunge in 11/2016 and even though I own pretty much all of her workouts.

ICE was also my most used set of the year.

I did a lot of Pilates by Lisa for a few months too. Her workouts are tough but good.

I don't have a worst purchase as I didn't buy much.
cecififi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-17, 11:09 AM  
Garrie A.

I bought a LOT this year! I also made some good trades this year.

Best:
-Physique 57 Classics Volume 1 and 2
-Tracie Long's Longevity workouts--especially Leaning Out, Defining Shape, and Defined
Lines. All of those are tied for first. Back Up is a close second, with Step Forward and
Staying Power at the bottom but I love them too.
-The Ballet Physique workouts (Signature Sculpt and Amped Up)
-Cathe's Muscle Max (from a trade) and Classics Volume 1 (I have finally conquered my fear of Cathe!)
-The Firm's TransFIRMer (which I found at a yard sale for $3 this summer)

Honorable mentions (those that almost made the Best list):
-KCM's 30 MTF Kickboxing and Kathy Smith's Kickboxing Workout (I have finally found a love for kickboxing)
-Rodney Yee's AM Yoga for Your Week
-Cathe's Step Blast (I haven't tried Step Jump and Pump Yet)
-AeroPilates Reformer (I like it but haven't used it much)
-The Firm's Super Sculpting
-Winsor Pilates Sculpting Ball workouts (both the 20 and 45 minute workouts)

Middle-of-the-Road:
-Firm Express (yard sale find for $3). I've only tried Kelsie's Cardio, Emily's Cardio, and
Alison's Cardio. This month I plan on trying some of the others in the set, especially
Kelsie and Alison's.
-Tracie Long's ReBoot 1 and TLT Endurance for Movement. Good workouts, but somewhat choppy in flow (especially EFM).
-Bar Method Super Sculpting I and II. I liked II better than I, because it has more glute work.
-Xtend Barre Lean and Chiseled (thanks Lauren for the trade).
-FitPrime workouts. Favorites were Crunch Time, Strong Bear, and Fast Cheetah. Steamin' Cardio was good too. Up and Down will probably grow on me.

Worse (but not necessarily bad):
-Fluidity New York City Real Classes (II was my favorite, I and III were both good). I got rid of, then reacquired this one. Bad music and Michelle's *slightly* annoying mannerisms are the reasons these made the worse list.
-Suzanne Bowen's BarreAmped (original and Bootcamp, both in a trade). Great workouts, with some excellent form pointers which I needed. But I didn't like the slower pace of them.
-Jennifer Kries' New Method workouts. Good workouts, but nothing special.

Now, the WORST workouts I bought this year:
-Pure Barre Studio Series 3 and 4
-The Method's Cardio Boot Camp
-Denise Austin's Power Kickboxing (go figure, as I don't like Denise)
-Denise Austin's Yoga Body Burn
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Cathe STS 2.0

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-17, 11:34 AM  
lesia

I didn't have any worst (because I've become picky)

Best:

Power Music Group Rx releases
Group Rx Axis
Group Rx Boot
Group Rx RIP

2017 will be my year! I turn 50 in April

Lesia
lesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-17, 11:41 AM  
katchaser1

Not a dvd but I love the Peleton app-I don't spin, I use it on the arc trainer and octane zero runner at the gym. Worst was committing to a year of Barre classes, it was fun for probably the first 4-5 months and then after that it just became dreadful-pretty much the same format everyday, I didn't see any noticeable changes, in fact I actually gained more weight than I did when I was doing body pump so it wasn't muscle mass-(barre just doesn't have enough cardio for me). I ended up not even going my last 2 months because I felt like I was wasting my time and just wanted to move on.
katchaser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-17, 12:24 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

I purchased very little in 2016, but:

Best:

Pilates by Lisa streaming. Love it! Challenging, but very doable and weekly schedules she sends out keep me focused. No more aches, pains or injuries with pilates!

Also best, Jessica Smith's new Walking DVDs. Jessica makes me feel good.

I wouldn't say "Worst", but not a good choice for me:

Year subscription for Barre3 streaming. Fortunately, I got a good deal on it so I didn't feel as bad for not using it after the first 3-4 months as I would have if I paid full price for it. Barre3 didn't work for me because not only barre hurt my otherwise healthy knees and made my lower back ache, but I also had constant problems with freezing picture to the point that I would have to stop and start several times to continue with the workout. I also didn't like that in order to get weekly schedules and new content every week I would have to upgrade to premium membership. It's like the rules of the game were changed mid-game.
Old 01-01-17, 12:44 PM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Best -

Cathe ICE series (I would put this in my Top 10 of all time, maybe even Top 5)
Cathe Push Pull/Supersets
Cathe Legs & Glutes
Cathe High Step Circuit
Cathe Basic Step/Body Fusion

Duds -

Tracie Long Reboot 1 and 2 - too high impact

In 2017 I plan to buy much less DVDs and just use what I have. I will also explore You Tube more for new workouts, especially Jessica Smith and Jenny Ford.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
best of, group rx, power music, power music group rx, worst of