Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-14, 02:58 PM  
anniew1964

STS or Les Mills Pump

I am looking to gain strength, definition and lose weight. I am in menopause right now and have a good 30-40 pounds to lose. I've heard a lot about STS and the strength gains and definition you get from this system and I've had my eye on Les Mills Pump for the past couple of months. Can anyone steer me in the right direction on which system would be better for me. I would like to order this week. Thanks in advance!!

Anne
anniew1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-14, 03:24 PM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

They're two total different approaches to strength training.

STS
workouts are splits (I.e chest/shoulders/tris, back/bis, legs)
workouts are based on a fixed rep count
is geared toward heavy lifting
Requires a fair amount of equipment (barbell, dumbbells, pull up bar, gliding discs, step or bench, stability ball)
length of workouts is between 45-65 minutes
has 3 different phases that can be purchased as a set out separately

Pump
shorter works emphasize large muscle groups, longer workouts are total body
Muscle groups are worked for the duration of a song
is geared toward moderate lifting sure to number of reps
Not much equipment needed (barbell necessary, step or bench, dumbbells optional)
length of workouts is between 30-55 minutes
other than the set no other Pump workouts available. Other total body workouts can be
mixed into the rotation for variety

It's really a question of what type of lifting you want to do. Good luck deciding!

BTW, I have both and enjoy both. If I had to pick one to start, I'd pick Pump.

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-14, 03:42 PM  
jennyjoy

I have not heard of STS but I have done body pump the group exercise class and absolutely love it. The at home version 'pump' is very similar and you will definitely get toned, increase strength, and even get some cardio out of it. I recommend body pump or any class similar to it to everyone-- while I've never done the pump dvd, I assume I'd love it just as much.
jennyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-14, 03:43 PM  
juberann

Hi Anne......I ordered STS yesterday, as a matter of fact. Cathe ran an awesome sale on the entire system and I have wanted STS for a long time so I couldnt pass it up.
I also have PUMP and dutchgirl is spot on about the pros of PUMP (obviously cannot comment on STS yet). I really like PUMP and love the barbell that came with the program. A couple of things to keep in mind about PUMP......there arent many workouts and only two of them are advanced. The music is AWESOME and the best I have ever heard on an exercise DVD but there is some ego to deal with by the instructors. Nothing too bad and it didn't bother me the first few times but after awhile the body worship got to me (it's mostly with the guys and might not even bother you).
I would not part with PUMP but there's just not too much to the package. If you buy the three cardio workouts (I think at $40) you have a complete system, I just wish there had been more workouts included in the price.
I think I am going to be happy having both and will love both....for totally different reasons.
Just wish you could've gotten in on yesterdays sale. STS was $87.00 and free shipping, I already have a shipping notice and delivery is next Monday.
Good luck with your decision
Old 07-14-14, 03:45 PM  
juberann

jennyjoy, I have been to BodyPump classes and have the at home version and you are correct, they are very similar. They definitely captured the PUMP energy on the DVDs that you get in a live class
Old 07-14-14, 03:52 PM  
violingal3

If I were in your shoes, I'd go for Pump! Love that set!
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-14, 04:38 PM  
deineira

I think STS and that rotation would be excellent for weight loss and strength gains. But, it's time consuming. Each workout is at least an hour ad you do them three days a week, if I recall. There's one lower body workout and two upper body workouts per week, so you have to really love doing focused weight work to enjoy STS. It's also a full 12 week rotation that will take you through a very focused plan for the entire 3 months. You can use Cathe's Shock Cardio or rotation in any cardio of your choice, but the complementary cardio is short and focused on intervals, which is supposed to be best for weight loss and muscle retention while doing a serious weight program.

I have Pump and they are fun, but not nearly as focused or as "serious" as STS. If I was looking for a serious lifting program, I would get STS. If I was looking for a fun program that would tone me up and help me lose weight, and I was not into serious lifting, I would go with Pump.
deineira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-14, 08:44 PM  
angie_nrs

I have both but never did Pump as a program. I mostly just used these as fill in workouts throughout the week. The music is great! However, it feels to me like the workouts are pretty much all the same. Most of the exercises are repeated from one DVD to the next. Therefore, for variety reasons, I would prefer STS.

I do agree with the previous posters. These 2 programs have many differences.
angie_nrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-14, 09:43 PM  
Vee

I have neither. I have done Pump classes at the gym. They are fun, but not as effective as STS type lifting for my body. Even if I were to do a total body workout instead of splits, I'd prefer a higher weight, shorter set protocol instead of working a body part for 5 minutes continuously. While the burn builds up during pump, at the end of the workout I don't feel as thoroughly worked as with even STS endurance rep range.
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-14, 09:50 PM  
juberann

There is that to consider, as well. PUMP is VERY high rep, low-to-moderate weight work with a barbell. Not sure about STS but from what I'm hearing it is quite the opposite.

Tags
group rx, les mills body pump, power music, power music group rx, sts