Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-15-14, 06:11 AM  
Breezy Trousers

I much prefer Pump to STS, but I mix Pump in with my other total body weight training workouts. I don't usually do rotations.

However, I attended live Body Pump classes 3x a week last summer and had * great * results with its high rep method. Hate to say this -- because I prefer heavy weight training to high rep weight training -- but Body Pump works better on my body than Cathe's weight training and is less fussy than Cathe's weight training. The problem with Pump is that it's essentially the same workout over and over again, so you have to be comfortable with repetition if you do a rotation with it. STS has much more variety and complexity. That was actually a big part of STS' problem for me. I'm a Cathe fan but ended up Joni-O'ing STS fairly quickly because it was way too time consuming and equipment-intensive. I just didn't have the patience for its demands, so STS ended up being was my biggest purchase regret of the year. (Of course, I can't say I wasn't warned here.)

Because of its repetition, I either have to attend live Body Pump classes or mix Body Pump DVDs up with other high rep workouts (i.e., Cathe's High Reps or Power Hour, Michele Carmichael's Flex Fuel, and maybe a Power Music Group RX Rip workout or two) to make things interesting.... I also learned that, when doing high rep workouts at home, lockjaw collars make it easier to change barbell weights .... Body bars are even quicker!
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 06:40 AM  
fit44

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie_nrs View Post
I have both but never did Pump as a program. I mostly just used these as fill in workouts throughout the week. The music is great! However, it feels to me like the workouts are pretty much all the same. Most of the exercises are repeated from one DVD to the next. Therefore, for variety reasons, I would prefer STS.

I do agree with the previous posters. These 2 programs have many differences.

Same here.
I'm menopausal, so I'll chime in. I'm using both programs because they hit the muscles a little differently. STS is a muscle building program, and with menopause, I want to challenge my muscles as much as possible so they have a good excuse to stick around.
I use to focus on cardio and high reps, in fear of the dreaded bulk, but now I welcome muscle.
Fat loss will come from diet, so you really just need to move. Menopause has changed the way I eat and I have to be super careful with my food choices. It's no longer calories in vs calories out for me.
fit44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 06:40 AM  
Bo-bina

I've never done Body Pump, so I can't chime in on that. I am on my 7th full round of STS and have had strength gains every round. If you enjoy a full hour long workout, you'll really like this system. DH recently said my body has never looked better, and we've been married for 25 years.

Is there any way you could purchase both systems and alternate them. I bet that would produce amazing results.
Bo-bina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 07:29 AM  
debbied
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fit44 View Post
Same here.
I'm menopausal, so I'll chime in. I'm using both programs because they hit the muscles a little differently. STS is a muscle building program, and with menopause, I want to challenge my muscles as much as possible so they have a good excuse to stick around.
I use to focus on cardio and high reps, in fear of the dreaded bulk, but now I welcome muscle.
Fat loss will come from diet, so you really just need to move. Menopause has changed the way I eat and I have to be super careful with my food choices. It's no longer calories in vs calories out for me.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I did an entire rotation of STS, which surprised me. I never finish rotations. I just ordered PUMP during the BB sale and have done four or five of them. I can't imagine doing PUMP as a rotation, but I will definitely use them as stand-alones. The music is great in the PUMPS.

I was proud of myself for sticking with STS because I usually fade out after a month. The STS rotation allowed me to intersperse other workouts since you only use the STS workouts 3 times a week. I think that helped my video ADHD. The PUMP rotation IIRC suggests walking, but really doesn't allow for using other workouts. As has been previously mentioned, they are both very different -- in style and instruction.

Constantly in a state of gratitude.

Dream big because the only thing that can hold you back is a life without dreams. Sean O'Malley

If you can keep your head when all around you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. Jean Kerr
debbied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 08:52 AM  
marmact

I have and enjoy both of these sets, but I do think Pump as a rotation is a recipe for overuse injuries. The workouts are fun, but all of them contain the same (or very similar) moves and therefore hit the body in the same way over and over again. On the other hand, the split nature of the workouts in STS make it better for the long term, IMO. I also find STS to have a lot more variation, and I revisit that program time and time again.

This is not to say that Pump is bad, per se. I enjoy it. The workouts are fun and the instructors are enthusiastic and in great shape. It gave me good results, for the most part, but my shoulders ached all the time, so I wouldn't do it as a stand-alone rotation again.
Old 07-15-14, 09:26 AM  
anniew1964

Thanks for your replies ladies. Sounds like both sets will be beneficial to me. I just ordered Pump and when STS goes on sale again I will be ordering that.

Anne
anniew1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 10:22 AM  
alydinva

I also appreciate the comments on this thread. I usually use Cathe for my workouts, but bought Pump during the recent BB sale. I have done Pump and Shred about 5 times and while I feel the burn during the set, I'm bored during the workout. There's no way I could do a full rotation of this set due to the repetition. I appreciated all of the comments regarding people using Pump in conjunction with other strength videos.
alydinva is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
group rx, les mills body pump, power music, power music group rx, sts