Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-01, 07:06 PM  
Annie S.
VF Supporter

Early Alan Finger - AAAGGGHHH

I picked up "Yoga Moves" by Alan Finger at the library. Don't know what year it was made, but it had a "hippie/we all live in a commune and smoke dope" feel to it. What a hoot! Alan makes bad jokes and pats women on the rear end. It's actually a good video for the workout, but if I had seen this before I had any experience with the recent Alan Finger, I would never have bought one of his tapes. There are pieces in here guaranteed to cause mass hysterics at a VF get-together!
Annie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-01, 09:24 PM  
Diavolobella
VF Supporter

Thank Heaven

that I didn't see that before I bought my many Yoga Zone tapes. That would have gagged me with a spoon. Perhaps Gretta (his wife) has straightened him out!

"We all want the looooove...without the handles!" Tracy Effinger

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Diavolobella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-01, 07:50 AM  
Jane C
VF Supporter

That was my introduction to Alan!

I had one of those early tapes, and, forgive me Joan, the effect still remains for me - whenever I see the guy I get this creepy-letch-guy vibe.

I should try to take a fresh look!

Come, come, whoever you are.
Wanderer, idolator, worshipper of fire,
come even though you have broken your vows a thousand times,
Come, and come yet again.
Ours is not a caravan of despair.

Rumi
Jane C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-01, 10:03 AM  
Elisa B.
VF Supporter

Re: That was my introduction to Alan!

Quote:
Originally posted by Jane C
I had one of those early tapes, and, forgive me Joan, the effect still remains for me - whenever I see the guy I get this creepy-letch-guy vibe.

I should try to take a fresh look!

Jane, I've never seen one of his early videos but I still get the creepy-letch-guy vibe from him! Something about him really bugs me. But then, I like Erich Schiffman's voice though others here think he sounds like a serial killer.

Elisa
Elisa B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-01, 10:21 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Finger always gives me the creeps too.

He rings a smarmy bell in my mind.

Elisa, I think Erich S. sounds a bit like a serial killer, but one with a heart of gold. I sill like him a great deal and would buy another tape by him in a one-click. What does that say about me?

I think Carolyn Lungreen (Sudha) on Kripalu Gentle Yoga sounds like a cult leader trying to put you in a trance, but I really like the tape.

Mr. Finger? I just can't seem to get past it. Maybe he seems paternalistic and patronizing underneath all that smoothness.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-01, 10:23 AM  
Jane C
VF Supporter

Quote:
Mr. Finger
and the name doesn't help, does it!

Come, come, whoever you are.
Wanderer, idolator, worshipper of fire,
come even though you have broken your vows a thousand times,
Come, and come yet again.
Ours is not a caravan of despair.

Rumi
Jane C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-01, 10:52 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Jane, Jane, Jane!

You've got that right.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
Old 11-28-01, 12:06 PM  
Norma H.
VF Supporter

Ah, the test of objectivity!

I remember reading similar threads about Alan Finger long ago on this forum. But there was always one fan or two willing to offer support of Alan's work. And it was this small minority which encouraged me to take a closer look. And I did! And I am glad I did because Alan truly is a very good teacher and he truly does have something to offer; especially I think to the beginner.

So, I have no problem focusing on what this instructor has to offer and choosing not to be distracted by personality quirks or character flaws which truly cannot be fairly ascertained from the limited information provided in a video. As is true so much in my life, I don't mind gleaning the good and discarding the bad.
Norma H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-01, 12:42 PM  
Linda B
VF Supporter

That was my intro to Alan too. I also have the book, which I do enjoy, and prompted me to rent that tape. I can safely say, that is one of the few tapes that I do not think I could ever work out to (and the part where he opens up a woman's butt to show us how to find the sitbones really creeps me out. I tell you he is enjoying that waaaay too much!). And, all the women he is involved with all look alike! Even in the older class ther is a frightening similarity.

He is better with the new tapes, but some of that slickness is still there. I can get past it for some workouts (Conditioning and Stress Release), but he will never be a fave of mine.

Erich on the other hand, sounds to me like he just took a big ol' lungfull from a doobie, and is trying really hard to keep that in while explaining to the rest of his class how to relax without helpful stimulants. And yes, I like him too!
Linda B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-01, 12:46 PM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Norma, I don't think anyone meant to completely dis this guy.

We're all going to react differently to each and every person we come in contact with. After all, take me -- I can tolerate the very hyper. Kathy Smith on her Time Saver Lift Weights... I just did the lower body and abs this morning. I know what everybody means in their negative comments about this tape, but it works for me. And I can somehow deal with the qualities that i find negative about it.

When you have a problem in dealing with someone as they come across on tape it's nice to know others feel the same way. I think all opinion posts should be read while you withhold your own judgement until you try it yourself.

And even though Alan makes me cringe I gave one of his beginner tapes to a friend because I thought she'd like it -- and she did.

Tags
alan finger