Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-19, 04:55 PM  
Scorpio6

Squats Compliment

Day after Thanksgiving we were at a friend's house, and when I went to get ice and water from the fridge, I didn't pull the cup away fast enough and ice cubes scattered all over the floor. Our host has severe arthritis, spinal stenosis, and heart trouble (valve replace). I didn't want him to slip and fall so I began gathering the ice pieces and throwing them in the sink. I squatted down numerous times to gather all the ice.

Our host could see me from the dining room through the kitchen door, and remarked in surprise to his wife, "Look, she's squatting!"

I have been doing plies and then squats my whole life and have taken that ability for granted. It never occurred to me that it was something to be complimented, but considering that poor fellow's condition, I will never take it for granted again. If somebody can't squat, how the heck do they get up off the toilet? That compliment was an inspiration and a big motivator to keep squatting!
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-19, 07:01 PM  
rhbrand

As a nurse who's worked in nursing homes, they don't get off the toilet without either staff picking them up, or a machine lifting them up.

So keep squatting cause its literally use it or lose it.
Old 12-01-19, 07:07 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbrand View Post
As a nurse who's worked in nursing homes, they don't get off the toilet without either staff picking them up, or a machine lifting them up.

Yes. This is what I tell my kids, when they see me squatting/DLing/plié-ing: "I'm doing this for you! So you won't have to help old-me off the toilet!"

(ETA: I know it's no GUARANTEE, but I'll still do what I can.)
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-19, 10:05 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

Quote:

What Rhonda said! Use it or lose it, you don't want to have to be hoisted off the toilet! Good going with the ice too.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-19, 07:42 AM  
hch
VF Supporter

Quote:

I remember posts like this around here--even in the earlier days of VF, when all of us were younger (obviously ) and quality of life as we aged seemed to be less of a concern. I remember, in particular, a related idea: losing the ability to use the toilet independently is a good way to lose independence.

Scorpio6, thanks for this thread: it's a good reminder. Of course, squatting isn't our only activity, and we can generally be more appreciative of all that our bodies can do.
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
squats