Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-02, 11:45 AM  
WWWendy
Community Manager

Official 2002 VF Beauty Tips Thread

What is this? WWWendy posting an off topic beauty tips thread??? I know, I know, what is the world coming to?

This is not the type of thread I normally encourage, but well, here we are in a new year, we haven't had a beauty tips thread in a while, and previous ones have long since gone into cyber-oblivion.

I know the beauty tips threads we've had in the past were very popular, so I am starting this one that will remain here permanently in our archive. All I ask is that we keep such tips to this thread, OK? That will make the tips easier for everyone to find (or avoid!) in the future. If you come up with a new tip several months from now, run a search on "Beauty Tips" to reply to this thread. That way all your great tips will be in one place, and everyone can refer to them easily.

OK, I'm no cosmetics maven, but I will admit I've learned about a few great products from these threads. So...let's hear about your very favorite skin/hair/makeup products, whether it's the hair conditioner that finally tamed your unruly locks or a mascara that doesn't run during workouts (not that I wear mascara during my workouts...).

For my contribution, I'll mention two good daily sunscreen products that don't make my face all greasy and which contain active ingredients proven to protect from both UVA and UVB rays. If you prefer unscented products, try Eucerin Face Protective Moisture Lotion. Basis Face the Day lotion is also a great sunscreen and has a light, fresh scent.

I'll turn it over to you all, now. I'm sure you'll have plenty to say.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
WWWendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-02, 12:06 PM  
Deanna
VF Supporter

This is not my area of expertise by a long shot , but I've got a few products I like a lot.

I love Biolage's Conditioning Balm and either their Color Care Shampoo or Hydrating Shampoo.

L'Oreal's Excellence cream hair color.

L'Oreal's Lash Out mascara.

I try to buy from companies that do not test their products or ingredients on animals. It doesn't always happen, but I try.
Old 01-05-02, 12:24 PM  
cinza
VF Supporter

For Girls with Curls

best ever conditioner for softening hair.
Terex Crema ... its italian.... I think everyone who tries it loves it.

here is website ... The VF of curly hair. Taking care (or dealing with) curly hair is an artform:

NaturallyCurly.com

a great website for those of us with curly hair who love it or hate it but in anycase have to deal with it in any case.

Reviews products and techniques for dealing with frizz , curl styling and cutting...

from wavey to kinky... there is help for all
cinza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-02, 12:54 PM  
SuzanneM
VF Supporter

Do you want a novel??

HA!!! Let me dive right in....

I have my tried-and-true favorite items that I will never give up, and also a few new things I am experimenting with. First - the essentials:

(1) MAC lipliner in Stone. The BEST. MAC also has great eyeshadow.

(2) Bumble and Bumble hair care products. I use the thickening spray and the moulding compound (I know, it sounds scary). If you have fine hair - this stuff is *awesome*.

(3) Clinique Aromatics perfume. I've been wearing it for 12 years and I still get compliments. Seems to me that Jay Blahnik told me I smell good........

(4) Avon Skin So Soft hand cream (soft and sensual scent). Smells great and keeps my hands soft. Um, thus the name.

Now for a few new things. I just started using Sage skincare. I've only been using it for a week, and I can see a huge change in my skin. If you have adult acne - or just want your skin to look better - this product line is great. It is *pricey*, but you can order a sample kit of the products to try them first. I am hoping they continue to work for me.

Claypac color shampoos. Only $6 for a bottle and it really helps give your hair color a boost. For those who, ahem, color their hair.

Time for me to stop.....

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
SuzanneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-02, 01:05 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Thanks, Wendy

I love these beauty tip threads.

I agree with Deanna---Lash-Out mascara by L'Oreal is the best!

For taming and smoothing hair, I love Wella's Straight Ahead (you use it after washing and before blow-drying).

My favorite hair products are Iridiance by L'Oreal.

For amazing bronzing and healthy glow on the face, I use Mojave Magic by Michael Maron, which I bought from QVC. It's great all year round. He also makes some other cool products.

My favorite cover-up is Dermablend.

For lips, try Smooch, by BeneFit Cosmetics (they are available at www.benefitcosmetics.com and dept. stores); you can use it as a lip moisturizer all alone, or under lipstick to help it go on smoother. BeneFit makes some other cool products with great names.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-02, 01:09 PM  
Sarah O.
VF Supporter

Beauty Tips

My two favorite make-up products are Bobbi Brown moisturizing foundation (smooths out my skin beautifully but doesn't look like I'm wearing anything) and Bobbi Brown art stick in brown berry (looks great on lips and can be used as a little blusher too). Those are my definite keepers.

Also, I've started using Mario Badescu products for skin care. They have a great website (www.mariobadescu.com). If you fill out the skin questionnaire, they'll evaluate your answers and and then send you a several trial size products appropriate for your skin type for free!
Sarah O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-02, 01:10 PM  
Jeanne

Question Anti-aging products anyone?

I wonder if anyone has tried any of the Perricone products (he had anti-aging show on PBS recently and is of course hawking very expensive products on his website) . Also any other anti-aging skin products people like or dislike?
Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-02, 01:13 PM  
Donna Marie

Croaking in with mine

I'd chime in but I have a case of frog throat today.

I, too, am a L'oreal fan. I purchase each revision of "Don't Go To The Cosmetic Counter Without Me" and that is where I learned that L'Oreal is a sister company of Lancome and their formulas are nearly exact.

1. L'oreal luminous mascara - waterproof.

2. L'oreal Age Perfect. Its nice a light. I've been using it since I turned the double nickle last year (sorry, Barbara L., I ripped off your phrase).

3. Curly Hair, are we blessed or cursed. For years, I pressed, hot ironed, blew out the curl and generally hated my curly hair. Then I found TIM...my hairdresser from heaven. He finally got me to stop messing with nature. I encourage my curl with Paul Mitchell Sculpting Foam.

Question: Please give me the name of any stores that carry MAC lipsticks and liners. I'm in California and would like to try MAC.

4. This qualifies as a real beauty tip: Curel Theraputic Moisturizing Lotion dabbed under your eyes and laugh lines at night soften the area. I was amazed at how much less noticeable the little lines were.

5. Drink more water than you think you could ever stand! This is your mother speaking. I drink four quarts a day and another one during a one hour aerobic step session.

Can't wait to read the rest of your tips. Thanks for starting this thread Wendy. Who'd a thunk it?
Old 01-05-02, 01:20 PM  
Janet O'Neil
VF Supporter

Top 20 Beauty Products I've tried - long

Well, I am a Beauty Product Junkie as well as a Vidiot, so here goes:

1. Favorite Face Creams - Avon's Anew Line is a reasonably priced way to go for good wrinkle softening. Favorite new products are their Pure O2 Oxygen Lotion, Retinol Stick and Lightenup for dark undereye circles.

Exceptionally Dry Skin - Avon Moisture 24

Zits - Serious Skin Care Continuously Clear (HSN)
I've used this when I break out or if I get breakouts "elsewhere" - it REALLY WORKS!

More expensive but also works - Murad Acne Kit

2. Favorite Eye Cream - Dr. Graf Deep Wrinkle Eye Cream (from HSN).

3. Favorite Makeup Remover (incl. eye) Signature
Club A Vanilla Meltdown (you could eat this it smells so good - also HSN).

4. Favorite Undereye coverup - doesn't crease! Avon Perfecting Undercover Eyecream - alot of color choices.

5. Favorite Brown Spot Dimisher/Skin Lightner - Paula's Choice Remarkable Skin Lightening Lotion (has 7.4% glycolic acid - www.cosmeticscop.com)

6. Favorite Mascara - Maybelline Lash Discovery

7. Favorite Lipstick - Avon Long Wearing Lipcolor in Terracotta - stays on forever but you have to apply lipgloss over it to keep it shiny.

8. Favorite Lipgloss - Any by Smashbox - not tacky

9. Favorite Eyeshadow - Anna Sui Taupe and any by Smashbox - They are smooth!

10. Favorite eyeliner - Smashbox Caviar Liner or Anna Sui Charcoal Eyeliner

11. Favorite Lipliner - Paula's Choice - great colors and they stay on.

12. Favorite Hand Cream - Sally Hansen Radiant Hand Cream (orange tube)

13. Favorite Body Cream - Mary Kay Visible-Action Skin Revealing Lotion really clears skin and smooths it out.

Favorite smelling body creams though are Signature Club A (HSN) Lemon Verbena or Vanilla or Perlier Honey Almond.

14. Favorite Face Scrub - Avon Clearskin - tingles and lots of fine grains.

15. Favorite Mask - Avon Anew Dramatic Smoother - tightens and clears without drying.

16. Favorite Haircolor - Revlon High Dimension - 10 minutes you are done!

17. Favorite Shampoos - Aveda Shampure and Shampure Conditioner

18. Favorite Hairspray - Aveda

19. Favorite Toner - Natural Advantage Toner (QVC)

20. Favorite Foundation - Estee Lauder Smart Skin - flawless. Better price though is Neutrogena Visible Difference w/Copper.

That oughta do it.
Janet O'Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-02, 01:49 PM  
Caroline Kim
VF Supporter

MAC

Quote:
Originally posted by Donna Marie

Question: Please give me the name of any stores that carry MAC lipsticks and liners. I'm in California and would like to try MAC.
Hi Donna,

You can find MAC cosmetics and Nordstrom's in Northern California and I'm pretty sure Macy's has them as well. There are also MAC stores - I have seen the one at Valley Fair in San Jose and according to the MAC Website there is one in San Francisco at 1833 Union St. ,415-771-6113.

I love the lipstick colors that MAC has, but in the past have found that they leave my lips dry.

Thanks for all the tips! I'm pretty clueless when it comes to beauty products.

Tags
beauty thread