Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 11-19-21, 09:31 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Good morning!

Just saying hi to keep things going here.
I should probably try a short walk or some upper body weights but I now got myself out of the exercise habit. Also it's getting chillier so that's another hurdle.

PENGUIN, I don't know if you had heard about Cathe's retinal detachment earlier in the year? (last year?) Not sure when exactly but she's not cleared to lift heavy weights as she has some lingering issues. I guess she's keeping things light for now so that's always an option obviously. She has a heavy weight series, STS 2.0 scheduled for sometime next year, but she's not able to film it just yet.

Hope everyone is staying well. Have a wonderful day!
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-21, 02:02 AM  
patchworkpenguin

SB, No, I hadn’t heard about Cathe’s detachment. I know exactly how she feels :-). I’m sorry to hear you are still struggling with your back! I know you are very frustrated about this!

I’m thinking about exercising tomorrow. I found an old Weight lifting rotation, of my favorite exercises, that I apparently wrote up when we were previously on a four day work week schedule. I made some changes and I’m thinking about trying it. I suspect I’ll get bored out of my mind quickly but we’ll see. I plan on using lighter weights and seeing how many reps I can do. I have always set a rather fast pace to “get it over with“ but some of the workouts I have done recently have had a slower pace so I will try that.

"An exercise in futility still counts as exercise!"

"There's a pattern to the randomness!" ~ Artie ~ Warehouse 13

"Weakness is hard, but weakness doesn't have to mean defeat!" ~ Lysa TerKeurst

"That's the only break you get, so I hope you enjoyed it" ~~Cathe, STS, Meso 2

patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-21, 10:01 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Good morning!

Nothing new here. Just saying hi and hoping everyone is well.

PENGUIN, I had heard that doing the same weight workout for a set period of time is the best way to see progress. Are you using a dvd for your rotation or just doing the weights on your own?

Hi CAMBET.

Have a wonderful day everyone!
Old 11-21-21, 09:56 PM  
patchworkpenguin

SB, I was planning on doing them myself. Maybe while watching TV? I might get distracted though. Maybe put on some kind of music. I’d like to focus more on the number of slow reps then setting a timer.

I felt good enough to do a workout today! I did Olivia Lawsons 30 minute walking and cardio workout after a short warm-up we alternated between 40 seconds of a “fun move“ and walking. :-) Nothing too exciting but it felt good to be up and moving again.

Hope you guys are doing well and are ready for Thanksgiving :-).

Old 11-22-21, 09:44 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Good morning!

PENGUIN, I think watching tv might be a good distraction but music could be good too. Good luck. I'm curious how you make out. And nice job doing a workout after your layoff! I'm happy for you.

My sister-in-law (DH's older sister) invited us for Thanksgiving so that's a nice break for me. No cooking. I will help her though as she's getting up there in years.

Hi CAMBET. Hope there's a break in sight for you.

Have a wonderful day!
Old 11-22-21, 10:12 AM  
cambet

Hi Ladies,

Sorry to have been MIA for a while. My life has been TOTALLY out of control. It's almost nonstop work and then when I get home I shut down so it feels like I'm either in *on* or *off* mode. I have done a better job of refusing to do any work at night, and the last thing I want to do after I get home is be on my computer, so I'm behind on everything (including grading). I was soooo glad when the weekend rolled around!

I have managed to get in some workouts:

Sunday - Turbo Jam Fat Blaster. Made it to over 10,000 steps for the day.

Saturday - I did a 2 hour (5.76 mile) hike with one of the Italy crew in the state park not too far from her house. It's the trail that I usually don't like much because so many tree roots are sticking up, but there were so many fallen leaves that we were more in danger of slipping than tripping and they seemed to provide a nice cushion. Normally I really struggle with that trail, but I was up for the task on Saturday and did a good job hanging in there till towards the end, when it did become a bit of a struggle (we also went further than I realized). Made it to over 21,000 steps for the day.

Friday - I did a 53 min (2.47 mile) walking meeting with a coworker. We walked all over campus and then did an additional loop closer to our end of campus because we were weren't done talking when we arrived back to our building. That night I did CH: Bring the Heat. Made it to over 16,000 steps for the day.

Thursday - I did a CH workout and made it to over 10,000 steps for the day.

Wednesday - I did a 24 min (1.12 mile) walking meeting with a coworker. Made it to over 10,000 steps for the day.

I didn't get to work out last Tuesday or Monday and didn't get good step counts.

Not sure what I'll do today, but I'm definitely going to get a workout in!

SB - Well, it sounds like you've gotten in a little more movement, but you are still mostly sidelined. So sorry to hear that. It's so hard to get back into the exercise habit when you get out of it. Hang in there. At least you've been able to enjoy some time with friends (though that one time you and your friend had to contend with a violent storm ). I'm still hoping that you will start to see notable progress and improvement. ETA: Just saw your post from this morning. Glad you won't have to cook Thanksgiving dinner and nice of you to offer to help you SIL.

Penguin - I was sorry to read that you were sick for a while. Glad you are feeling better and able to get back into exercising. Your weight lifting rotation sounds interesting. Maybe you could do it to good music, if you find that motivating. Great job with finishing your penguin quilt!
Old 11-22-21, 10:36 PM  
patchworkpenguin

Cambet, great Job keeping up with your workouts! I hope you get a lot more Rest and relaxation over a possible Thanksgiving break?

SB, I was actually worried that the TV would be too distracting and I would end up watching rather than lifting :-) we’ll see what happens :-)

We took a road trip today that turned out to be a big waste of time! The restaurant we wanted to visit was closed on Monday and the store I wanted to visit was disappointing although Hubby found some clothes. And we got Cindy a glow in the dark collar :-).

We are going to go look at a house tomorrow, while it doesn’t check all the boxes it is the closest we’ve seen but we feel it is way overpriced for what it is. We can get our realtors input tomorrow.

Old 11-23-21, 10:41 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Hi all !!

I'm hesitant to say this too loudly but I think there is another slight improvement in my pain.
Shhhh. I did some stretches from the book 3 Minutes to a Pain Free Life and I seem to feel a smidge better today. I had tried these stretches last month and it made things worse so this could just be a coincidence. I was actually thinking of trying a short walk today if it warms up a little bit later. It's quite chilly right now.
I was also thinking I could try my old reliable Winsor B&T. I looked through my old exercise logs and I think I did that dvd a few times during my last bout with sciatic pain.

CAMBET, great job with step totals, hiking and walking meetings! Very impressive.
I'm a little envious but very happy for you!
LOL. I sure hope you get a break over the holiday. You deserve it!

PENGUIN, yes I can see where the tv could slow down the actual workout but for me it would take my mind off the work.
Sorry the road trip was a bit of a bust but it's always good to spend some quality time with hubby. Good luck with the house visit.

Have a wonderful day everyone!
Old 11-23-21, 01:25 PM  
cambet

Hi Ladies,

Yesterday I did TJ Fat Blaster and tacked on 15 mins of CH Elite: Rope & Ride. I've done Fat Blaster (it's all turbos, so anaerobic drills, and I tend to repeat 1 or 2 turbos every time) 3 times over the last couple of weeks because I've been feeling like I was getting stuck in a not-very-challenging steady-state cardio rut. Always nice to kick things up a notch with Fat Blaster. Made it to over 11,500 steps for the day.

It was nice to have most of the day off, though I did have to help lead an interview for a job candidate. After that I ran errands and did a little shopping (though I didn't find what I was looking for, so I didn't buy anythinig).

SB - (whispers because I don't want to jinx it ) I hope that you are, in fact, seeing real improvement. That would be great! Will be interested to know if you did manage to get a a short walk. I thought about trying a walk outside this morning but it was 36 degrees so I quickly changed my mind.

Penguin - I hope you find a lifting rotation that works for you. Sorry that the road trip was a bust, well, except for the glow in the dark collar. Oh wow, another house to check out?! Good luck with everything
Old 11-23-21, 07:22 PM  
patchworkpenguin

So the house was a big disappointment! It started with structural issues, a backyard that was even smaller than the one that we have now, and cows on the other side of a wire fence. I want to live out in the country but not that close to cows!

Tags
vera laro