IceQueen07

I need to work on balance more, that is why I was thinking of getting a bosu

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-21, 02:06 PM  
rhbrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
From what I have read, balance reflexes start to decline rapidly after age 30 unless you practice. Use it or lose it.

The gentleman I mentioned upthread...he told me he can now put on pants and socks without sitting down. He can get in and out of the shower without worrying about falling. I think he is 74 now.

And, my dh, who is a year older than me (he's 55) has to sit down to put on his socks, pants, shoes.
I'm in my early 50s now and make it a point to stand single leg to put shoes and socks on. So I guess I work balance everyday LOL

I also do things like single leg deadlifts which works muscles and balance.
Old 09-12-21, 02:25 PM  
TinaT

All the time. Rebounding, Classical Stretch routines, and just plain ole single leg balance exercises. I'm so thankful for muscle memory.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-21, 02:43 PM  
seagreen01
VF Supporter

I don’t focus specifically on balance but a great part of my workouts is balance. Many instructors include balance. I have falls sometimes usually from my dog walks and where we walk, pot holes tree roots and slippery terrain. I seem to right myself or handle the fall well. I think that is a combo of balance, strength and flexibility.
seagreen01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-21, 03:24 PM  
Messe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
The gentleman I mentioned upthread...he told me he can now put on pants and socks without sitting down. He can get in and out of the shower without worrying about falling. I think he is 74 now.
I must be doing something right, because at 73 I can still do everything the older gentleman in your class can do and then some, including deep squats and getting off the floor without having to use my hands to help myself up. But I don't do any specific work for balance other than what's in my regular workouts.

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-21, 03:30 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbrand View Post
I'm in my early 50s now and make it a point to stand single leg to put shoes and socks on. So I guess I work balance everyday LOL

I also do things like single leg deadlifts which works muscles and balance.
I never thought of standing up for socks and shoes. Although in Phoenix, I probably wear socks three months out of the year lol. But I’ll have to remember to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagreen01 View Post
I don’t focus specifically on balance but a great part of my workouts is balance. Many instructors include balance. I have falls sometimes usually from my dog walks and where we walk, pot holes tree roots and slippery terrain. I seem to right myself or handle the fall well. I think that is a combo of balance, strength and flexibility.
I agree.
Old 09-12-21, 03:55 PM  
Gams

I’ve never thought to sit down to put on any of my clothes or my shoes. I don’t think I ever have put anything on while sitting down and I don’t wear socks - not even in winter when it’s below zero.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-21, 04:07 PM  
fanofladyvols

I don't remember where I got this from but if you brush your teeth for two minutes then you stand on one foot for minute, then switch to second foot.

The challenge is standing on one foot for one minute with your eyes closed. It's not unusual for one leg to be easier than the other.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-21, 05:27 PM  
lizh

It is definitely something I should keep working on as I get older. Pahla B. does some balance work in almost every workout. I have a Jane Adams DVD with many balance routines as well.
lizh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-21, 08:15 AM  
owltx

It's something I definitely work into my routine. I think it is one of the critical pillars of health as we age. As a previous poster mentioned, Jessica Smith has a lot of workouts that incorporate balance. The BOSU has definitely improved my balance. Yoga is great for both flexibility and balance.

One thing I do for "everyday" balance incorporation moves - I do put my shoes and socks on without sitting down to work on it, and when I brush my teeth I balance on one leg for awhile, then the other, then attempt it again with my eyes closed.

Tags
balance, balance work, silver and fit