Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-27-01, 09:11 AM  
Clare*
Moderator/ BC Survivor

Unhappy Do you pre-order???

Nope, I ain't gonna order, I ain't gonna order.....

After all these years, and many tapes that didn't suit me, I think I'm finally beginning to learn. I'm not going to pre-order. No matter what the deal! I know that the concept is that you will save now, but, for me, I find that it really means that I lose money in the end. Not to mention the frustration of getting tapes that I just don't like and won't use.

I'm not ordering any of the CIA tapes. Not even the ones that sound sort of interesting. There are only a handful of CIAs that I've liked in the past. Better to wait for a VF get-together and tape viewing where I can see sections of these tapes and really talk with my fellow VFers on how they like these, what the impact is, how complex they are. Yep, I can live without these.

It's a little harder with the Firm tapes and Anna Benson's new tapes. My love of the Firm makes me itch to see these. But then I have to rein myself in and remember that actually my love of the Firm is based on most of the Classics tapes, the original Parts tapes, and the Cross-Trainers. Most of the newer Firms sit neglected on my shelves. I like some of them, but others will never get a chance at my VCR again. Wait, Clare- wait to read the reviews, find out what the impact is, find out what the moves are......

Okay, so if I had a VCR in my Living Room, I would order the Treadmoves Tapes! I'll admit it, I want those! But hey, that's would not really be a pre-order! These tapes are already out- I can read on the website a complete description of what the workout is. And at least one VFer has given them her thumbs up!

I know I'm going to take a pass on the Todd G. tapes. Yes, I really want to see our VF crew as back ground exercisers, and I am interested in the weights tape. But, I'm also uneasy about these tapes. I'm really afraid that these might be kind of low quality and that there may be production problems. I have no reason to say that other then what I saw in the pictures and the fact that Todd is producing his own tapes. But I know that others have been burned before by self produced tapes (Aaron Lankford and Fran Germ come to mind- though Aaron's problem was actually mailing the damn things rather then bad quality). And bad production quality really, really bugs me. I just can't do the tape. I know I should be noble and say "it's the workout that counts", but it doesn't! The only tape which is sort of low quality that I like is Going Ballistic- and that is really not that low, just that it has a really bad set! So, no Todd for me! Someone who liked his last tapes can order these, and then let me know how they are! LOL!

I won't mention Christi, the G-Force, and other choregraphy masters. I know my limits and even thinking about a pre-order is the height of folly

Is there anyone I would pre-order?? Well, I think I will still pre-order Cathe. Her latest workouts have made up for the CTX/Cardio Kicks/Circuit Max tapes that I was so disappointed in. But- I know I will never order another Hi/Lo or Kick-boxing type tape from her. I like her step and I like her strength. If those are what she comes out with, my Master Card will be out in a flash!

Now, there is nothing wrong with pre-ordering. As a matter of fact, where would I be without those who do pre-order? They are the front lines of VF, those who are willing to put their Visas on the line to get the newest, the trendiest, and what could be the next great tape! But, I really think that many out there that pre-order like a much broader variety of tapes then I do. So, maybe they are not taking as big a plunge. But, on the other hand, I don't want to get caught up in the pre-order frenzy. I think some of us do get caught up. So if you are pretty sure you may like a tape, I sure do appreciate your williness to go out on a limb for a workout that has not even been released yet! Thank you all!

And even if they like the tape, that does not mean that I'm going to place an order! There are so many little hints in a review that will signal to me, "Nope, not Clare material!"

So thanks to all of you that do pre-order. But I think I'll take a pass........

“..Know the difference between an inconvenience & a problem. If you break your neck, if you have nothing to eat, if your house is on fire- then you got a problem. Everything else is inconvenience. Life is inconvenient. Life is lumpy… And a lump in the oatmeal, and lump in the throat, and a lump in the breast are not the same lump. One should learn the difference.” Sigmund Wollman's Reality Test by Robert Fulghum
Clare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-01, 09:31 AM  
Becky D
VF Supporter

I'm with Clare

I agree! I'm so grateful for the VFers who pre-order and give the rest of us the real insight into the tapes. Many, many times I've resisted the urge to buy a tape after the initial VF reviews. On the flip side, however, I've also been persuaded to buy tapes I didn't plan to after they got rave VF reviews ! Unfortunately my video budget is limited; so I rely on the "experts" to spend my money
Becky D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-01, 10:41 AM  
Sharon T
VF Supporter

Inclined to Pre-Order

I'm inclined to pre-order the CIA's. I was pretty selective last year and only took a few, and in retrospect, I'm pleased that I didn't take the whole menu. The new batch looks pretty interesting, though. I will order Franny, because Cardio Parties is one of my all time favorite videos, and I'll order Mindy because I enjoy her personality. I know there are some things I don't enjoy. I don't have enough commando in my soul and generally avoid anything that implies the martial arts (like BOX-ing, kick-BOX, jack-in-the-BOX, BOX-lunch). I tend to think of pre-orders as little vacations. You get to do new things with new people in new places (you know, like Chinese restaurants and Red Gulch).
Sharon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-01, 10:41 AM  
LeslieM
VF Supporter

I really like to pre-order

It's true, I probably do like a wider variety of tapes than you do, Clare and I don't feel like I'm out much $ if I don't like it due to the swap and sellling on ebay or the Firm swap. But, it does take time to work out postingt\trades\sales\mailing\insuring etc and time is always in a crunch for me. With Christmas and buying a new house a few months ago, there's just not a lot extra in the budget. I'm going to have to sit down and do a financial analysis before I decide. Plus, I have a new hobby,scrapbooking, competing (gasp!)with fitness tapes for my spending allowance. Huuuuummmmmmm, CIA tapes or those expensive Zig scrapbooking pens?? decisions, decisions.....Leslie
LeslieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-01, 10:50 AM  
Liz K
VF Supporter

I'll be pre-ordering several tapes!

I've learned over the past years that there are tapes that I will just have to have and I might as well save money and pre-order!
I have to have the new Firm tapes and also Anna's new tapes with Tracie and Suzan! These are must haves for me! The Firm makes up about 75% of my workouts. I have every Firm tape out there and I love them! I think Tracie and Susan are two of the best out there and I will definitely order anything with them leading the workout. The workout format also sounds really cool to me. I also know that if I don't pre-order I will end up ordering at the full price later on!
I will also pre-order the new Mindy tape at CIA. I would love the DVD but I am not sure about ordering them since I am unfamilar with the other instructors and $55 is alot of money to gamble on whether I will like them or not. $15 is much safer and I'm 99% sure I will love Mindy. I waited on the last Mindy tapes and ended up paying $25 a piece for them. Bad Move! I'm also concerned about the set on the CIA's since I read so many comments about the dead cow and the red set.
I would also pre-order anything Cathe puts out. I think she is fantastic! Her latest releases were very well put together. Also, I would pre-order anything from Christi.
I also want those Treadmoves tapes. They sound very interesting. They would also be something I could take along when we visit my parents as they have a treadmill. But they wouldn't really be a pre-order.
I will not be pre-ordering Todd's tapes because I just never got into kickboxing. Those have no appeal to me.
Basically, I have to have a strong preference to an instructor before I will pre-order the tapes. Otherwise, I am happy to wait and hear the reviews. Liz
Liz K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-01, 10:59 AM  
Jane C
VF Supporter

Cool I'm happily preordering!

Here's how I figure it...

When I was in NYC I would easily pay $6 - $12 to go to a single exercise or dance class. Many of those classes were not particularly too my liking.

I think a $5 loss on a video is a fair price for the opportunity to try something new. I love having the latest tapes and I can always trade or exchange.

I've preordered the Todds. I will probably preorder the CIA DVD's (although thats a tough one - there really is a rationale for getting the VHS in terms of trading what you don't like - but I'm a CIA fan). I'm even vaguely considering preordering the Benson tapes although, truth be told, I'm not a Firm fan. I know there will be no problem reselling those tapes.

I enjoy trading. I think I have a good rep as a trader (god knows I try!). I like media mail - $1.83 includes signature confirmation. I just don't see a downside.

Come, come, whoever you are.
Wanderer, idolator, worshipper of fire,
come even though you have broken your vows a thousand times,
Come, and come yet again.
Ours is not a caravan of despair.

Rumi
Jane C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-01, 11:15 AM  
Crescent Moon
VF Supporter

FitPrime and The Firm, yes...

and the same goes for Cathe. I think that they all have pretty good track records concerning the quality of their workouts and production values (although I won't be preordering The Firm or FitPrime until they make a dvd anouncement) I may be one of the few people that like the later Firm workouts more that the earlier ones, so I feel confident that I would enjoy the new videos.

I don't know about CIA. I don't have a single CIA workout, so I have only the opinions and reviews of fellow fitness forum members to go on. I will probably preorder the dvd with Mindy's workout on it, because it seems to have more strength oriented material on it, plus some cardio mixed in. Cathe is about as complex as my cardio gets, so I can't see myself as being able to fully appreciate the other CIA dvd.

I guess the bottom line, for me, is the past record of the person or company that's offering the presale.
Crescent Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-01, 11:17 AM  
Clare*
Moderator/ BC Survivor

Re: FitPrime and The Firm, yes...

Quote:
Originally posted by Noel Costello

I guess the bottom line, for me, is the past record of the person or company that's offering the presale.
Hey, so true!! That has to be a big part of it!

“..Know the difference between an inconvenience & a problem. If you break your neck, if you have nothing to eat, if your house is on fire- then you got a problem. Everything else is inconvenience. Life is inconvenient. Life is lumpy… And a lump in the oatmeal, and lump in the throat, and a lump in the breast are not the same lump. One should learn the difference.” Sigmund Wollman's Reality Test by Robert Fulghum
Clare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-01, 12:01 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Preorder only cia's any more

And that's mainly for the variety. I've given up preordering everything else. Most instructor's styles are similar enough from tape to tape that I only need one or two of their videos.

As for Firm's it seems that you can get them a lot cheaper than the preorder price if you have some patience.

Now, if I can only figure out this new board, I'll be all set.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-01, 12:11 PM  
nora
VF Supporter

me too

I have been disappointed enough times to be able to say I will not pre-order anything this time around. However, if Christi were to come out with something, my credit card would be out in a flash. I think she's the only one I would feel like pre-ordering these days.