Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Polls
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which would your mother be most likely to say about your workout habit?
I'm so happy my active lifestyle has been a good influence on her. 19 12.50%
It's great! I am now a regular exerciser because of her example. 15 9.87%
I'm proud of her for her commitment to exercise. I wish I were like that! 78 51.32%
She's so SKINNY! She doesn't need to exercise, she needs more meat on her bones! 12 7.89%
I just hope she doesn't get big muscles and look like those manly female bodybuilders! 13 8.55%
I wish she'd lay off preaching the benefits of exercise every time she visits. 10 6.58%
She should be spending less time exercising and more time (pick one) with her husband and kids OR finding someone special to share her life with. 5 3.29%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-28-01, 07:02 AM  
Felicia

My mom seems proud of my exercise habit. She likes how my video collection looks in their new cabinet. She has in the past purchased fitness items for me as presents, but she does think I have too much (I really do) and won't buy me anymore. She walks and sometimes does water aerobics. She has a small video collection of her own but I don't think she ever does them.

"If your DH isn't complaining, you don't have enough videos" - SteveW
Felicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-01, 07:19 AM  
Terri1222
VF Supporter

My mom who is in her 70's is still very much exercising....takes dancing classes, lifts weights, does kickboxing. I think I'M the one that's impressed with HER!

I can remember way back when when my mom used to get on the floor and do those "donkey kicks" that we learned at the Elaine Powers' salon! She hasn't stopped since!

Terri
Terri1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-01, 08:19 AM  
Shelby
VF Supporter

Post Unfortunately, none of the above

She seems amused at my exercise videos, as though they're just another "Shelby thing". There's evidence of exercise in just about every room of the house, big equipment and everything, and still she says very little save the occasional sarcastic or wry remark. Oh well, it's probably 'cause she just doesn't get it, lots of people don't. Maybe she'd understand it better if I was smaller or figures I'm just blowing smoke.

Shelby
Shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-01, 09:08 AM  
Becky D
VF Supporter

She appreciates my addiction......

My mom is kind of like Felicia's--I think she appreciates my exercise habit, but she certainly doesn't think I need any new tapes. I asked for some for Christmas and didn't get any ("that's all you ever ask for....) Mom does have a small collection of her own, and she does the tapes once in a while, but she doesn't "covet" any more!! Any that's despite all my efforts to convert her to a vidiot !
Becky D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-01, 09:10 AM  
Deanna
VF Supporter

I chose the "I'm proud of her for her commitment to exercise. I wish I were like that". Overall, I believe this is how she feels about my exercising.

The entire maternal side of my family is overweight--some of them would be considered obese. They all suffer from arthritis and most of them have had joint replacement surgery--my mom very recently had both knees replaced. Most have adult onset/type II diabetes (thankfully my mom hasn't been diagnosed so far).

I know my mom views my exercise habit, and the fact I'm vegetarian, as a way to possibly avoid what her family has endured. She's amazed at how much food I can put away and remain relatively thin too . She's always a little awe struck when she asks how much weight I use, or the distance I'm capable of running. She also hates to telephone or schedule something when she knows it's "my exercise time". She's got a great respect for that time and doesn't want to interrupt it. And no, I've never once bugged her about it it's been entirely her decision not to bother me at that time of day.

Now that she's in the process of healing from her surgeries, I'm starting to jokingly prod her about starting a walking program or possibly swimming. She seems open to the idea. She's been in such horrific pain the last few years with the arthritis, walking at all has been pretty awful. But, once she's completely healed, I think she would love to be able to walk for pleasure once again.
Old 12-28-01, 10:33 AM  
susan p
VF Supporter

I chose "she's so SKINNY! she doesn't need to exercise, she needs more meat on her bones!" (I've definitely heard that one). I think the next choice, about "I hope she doesn't look like a female bodybuilder" would apply to. But the thing I hear MOST wasn't a choice, which is "all that exercise is DANGEROUS, all you're going to do is INJURE yourself!" Yep, I'm serious. Exercising is more dangerous than NOT exercising! Bless her heart. . .

I can't tell you how many times the fact that I have some muscle and flexibility has SAVED me from injury. . . Like when I fell down the stairs in November and suffered little more than a wrenched shoulder. Core strength has saved me MANY a trip to the chiropracter. My mom could practically support her chiropracter single-handedly! Ah well, who says moms are reasonable?? Lovable, yes. Reasonable, well, not always!

(of course, I'LL always be reasonable! Always. Really!)
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-01, 11:19 AM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

My mom knows I have a lot of videos but she also knows that it's not only for exercise, it's also a hobby that I enjoy. She's afraid to get me a video for a gift unless I've specifically told her one to get, because she doesn't want to give me one I already have. She will often do the gift certificate, which is nice. She thinks it's great that I have developed such a healthy habit.

She is working on trying to develop a regular exercise program for herself. She used to go to the Rec Center and do water aerobics with a friend from work, but now that her friend has retired she doesn't often go alone. She's 65 and has been a yo-yo dieter her whole life. My sister and I have given her several videos but she mostly only does them if I'm visiting. I've been trying to encourage her to do something each day, even it's it's just 5 minutes of a video and then work up from there. I hope she does it.
Old 12-28-01, 12:10 PM  
Barb L
VF Supporter

Sad to say...

I voted "wish she'd quit talking about exercise every time she visits."

At age 84, my Mom is languishing in a nursing care facility. I'm convinced that taking advantage of opportunities there for physical therapy and exercise would go a long way towards alleviating her pain and suffering, both physical and mental. But I've had to quit talking about it, because it only makes her mad. Obviously, "I don't understand."

My Mom has struggled with weight issues all her life, and provided me an example (if somewhat problematic example!) of what it takes to keep those fat genes under control. I know she's proud of me for taking care of myself. But the example doesn't seem to work in reverse.

Truth is, I don't like the looks of getting old, especially what I see when I visit the nursing home. However, judging by family experience, I'm very likely to live a long time. So--how to get older without getting "old"? That's my quest. I'm sure there's luck involved. But a good exercise habit can't hurt!
Old 12-28-01, 12:28 PM  
lynnem3
VF Supporter

My Mom is active!

My Mom started doing Jazzercise with me about 12 years ago. She also walked 2-4 miles quite often with my Dad. About 5 years ago, she was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, so now she does deep water aerobics 2-3 times a week for 60 minutes. I went with her a few times, and it is definitely a challenge! She's also trying to incorporate weights into her life.

My Mom thinks my fitness habit and videos are great. She has a small collection of videos herself and is thinking about getting the Leslie Sansone walking tapes. My Mom is 61, and even with her arthritis, she is in better shape and more mobile than people I know in their late 40's who are sedentary and overweight. I try to use her as an example of what maintaining activity can do for you
Old 12-28-01, 03:20 PM  
Daphne M

My mom is my inspiration

My mom inspires me -- both in a carrot and stick kind of way. The carrot is that she's very proud of my exercise habit, although she is convinced that I am always on the verge of becoming "too thin." I could be buying size xxl clothes and my mom would still be convinced that I am rail thin. I kind of enjoy it.

She also inspires me out of fear. She has a rare disease that attacks your connective tissue. She used to be very active and she could clear a dance floor when she started doing some of her Latin and ballroom dancing (she was a competitive dancer), but this disease makes it very risky for her to do any kind of exercise I've ever suggested to her. Once the tissue stretches, it doesn't stretch back. She also developed rheumatoid arthritis. Anyway, it's an inherited disease, but I don't plan on inheriting it. If I do ever get it, I intend to be as strong and resilient as possible so that it won't affect me as it has her.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote