Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-22, 11:27 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
I haven't gotten to this yet but I need to. It's been on my to-read list for a long time.

I recently read his book, "This Tender Land" and want to read "Ordinary Grace."

I just finished "Lessons in Chemistry" which isn't really my kind of book. I also read "Estrogen Matters" and just started "The Five Wounds."

Erica
I actually met one of the authors of Estrogen Matters on a cruise! I think I purchased the book and didn't get a chance to read it so gave it away. What did you think about it?
I read and liked Ordinary Grace.
ETA: My book group met yesterday to select our books for the upcoming year. Someone pitched Lessons in Chemistry and I was the only one who voted for it so we are not reading it as a group. It sounded like it was a bit lighter than our normal picks so that is why I picked it. What are your thoughts on the book? .
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-22, 11:27 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

I finished reading “ An Imperfect Plan” by Addison McKnight. I didn’t like any of the characters and especially one of the main ones who seemed to be so materialistic and overly concerned about how she appeared to others (successful, privileged, etc.). About 70% of the book is like this until a horrible “incident” occurs to diminish this need. I was about to give up on it but decided to finish. It ties up the relationships at the end and has some “messaging” attached.

I started reading “All Lies” by Andrew Cunningham (another VFer posted about the author and I borrowed the Kindle Unlimited book). I really like this book so far! The writing is very good and it has a mix of irony, humor, adventure, and suspense.

I started listening to the audio version of “Shantaram” by Gregory David Roberts. The narrator is one of the best I’ve heard so far! He brings the story to life with different accents so you feel like it’s an audio version of a movie. I heard about the book because Charlie Hunnam is starring in an AppleTV series based on the book. But beware the audible book is 43 hours long! It’s long and descriptive like a Stephen King or Diana Gabaldon (Outlander) book.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-22, 11:35 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
I actually met one of the authors of Estrogen Matters on a cruise! I think I purchased the book and didn't get a chance to read it so gave it away. What did you think about it?
I read and liked Ordinary Grace.
ETA: My book group met yesterday to select our books for the upcoming year. Someone pitched Lessons in Chemistry and I was the only one who voted for it so we are not reading it as a group. It sounded like it was a bit lighter than our normal picks so that is why I picked it. What are your thoughts on the book? .
I didn't really like Lessons in Chemistry but it has great reviews and most (but not all) people I know who have read it have loved it. It wasn't terrible but I found some parts really annoying and I hated the ending. It's not the kind of book I usually enjoy, so I wasn't expecting much but I was hopeful based on so many positive reviews.

I liked Estrogen Matters. It gave me a lot to think about.

I'm reading Necessary Lies by Diane Chamberlain.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-22, 11:37 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
I started 2 books basically to see if they were suitable to pitch to my book group for the coming year.
"Corrections in Ink" is a memoir written by a former competitive figure skater about the events leading to a drug addiction and incarceration on drug charges. She is now a journalist writing about criminal justice. So far it is very engaging and I am probably going to suggest it to my group.
I am also reading Sorrow and Bliss by Meg Mason. I am liking it more than I thought I would but not sure it is good for discussion.
I am considering the following and if anyone has read them please share your thoughts:
The Latecomer by Jean Hanff Korelitz which I just got on Kindle for $3. Was considering reading it anyway and couldn't pass it up at that price.
Her Hidden Genius by Marie Bendedict. (historical fiction/biography)
H is for Hawk by Helen Macdonald (non fiction/memoir)
So while I was away on vacation I started reading the books mentioned above. The Latecomer is a fast read (I am about 25% through it) but I don't like the writing style much. I will probably finish it though as I am interested in where the story is going.
Her Hidden Genius- I read a few pages and the writing style annoyed me so I did not suggest it to the group. Interestingly, someone in my group pitched another book by the author (The Personal Librarian) which the group selected.
H is for Hawk- I liked what I read even if a bit slow but I didn't pitch it to the group.
I did pitch Corrections in Ink which was picked as well as Inheritance by Dani Shapiro (sounds like a good discussion book.) I also pitched the Miniaturist and Circe by Madeline Miller.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-22, 11:55 AM  
mimikz

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
I finished Magpie Murders recently and quite enjoyed it.

Good to hear Yogapam. I was happy to read that the author wrote the screenplay too.

M
mimikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-22, 05:14 AM  
Carol K

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
I finished Magpie Murders recently and quite enjoyed it.
I started watching the series on Sunday and I really like it.
Old 10-18-22, 10:17 AM  
Gams

I’m reading Leah Remini’s book and finding it very interesting.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-22, 01:19 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy G View Post

I started listening to the audio version of “Shantaram” by Gregory David Roberts. The narrator is one of the best I’ve heard so far! He brings the story to life with different accents so you feel like it’s an audio version of a movie. I heard about the book because Charlie Hunnam is starring in an AppleTV series based on the book. But beware the audible book is 43 hours long! It’s long and descriptive like a Stephen King or Diana Gabaldon (Outlander) book.
I loved "Shantaram" (audio) -- so good! I had to double check this, but.... I finished it in less than a week! That's how much I liked it. I just recently noticed the series on AppleTV and I've watched the first two episodes and I like it. I don't know that actor but he seems like he's pulling it! Enjoy the book! Everyone I know who has read it loved it.
Old 10-18-22, 01:25 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
I’m reading Leah Remini’s book and finding it very interesting.
This looks good! I'm putting on my TBR list. Thanks!

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-22, 01:34 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
I loved "Shantaram" (audio) -- so good! I had to double check this, but.... I finished it in less than a week! That's how much I liked it. I just recently noticed the series on AppleTV and I've watched the first two episodes and I like it. I don't know that actor but he seems like he's pulling it! Enjoy the book! Everyone I know who has read it loved it.
Thanks Bee! It’s so good! I think I’m enjoying the audio more than if I read it. I also watched the first episode of the AppleTV series. I want to finish more of the audio book before I go back to it (plus there will be more episodes available).

Charlie Hunnam was “Jax Teller” on the “Sons of Anarchy” show a few years ago that was on FX. It’s a great but brutal series about biker gangs/clubs. There is a scene toward the end of the series with a big fork (like you use to carve a turkey) involving his Mom and wife that still gives me the willies when I think about it, lol.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, fall reading, kindle, off topic, off-topic, reading