Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-07-21, 07:49 AM  
sherry7899

Ot-basic smart phone help

I am a dinosaur with a pay as you go flip phone. I don't text because of that.

I need to join the 21st century and get a smartphone. I am home most of the time and I don't need much at all.

I would prefer something very basic without a contract-a pay as you go phone. I don't need a ton of data or anything fancy.
I don't want to spend $35-$40 a month for it.

Any ideas?

Thank you!
Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-21, 09:28 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Hi Sherry,
I have a Samsung TracFone. I bought something similar to this:

https://www.qvc.com/Samsung-Galaxy-A...8.html?sc=SRCH

I bought it a couple of years ago for about $100. But when I renewed this year, I bought the TracFone $199 yearly plan which includes unlimited talk and text and 12 g of data. I'm using my phone for work meetings more so I needed the unlimited talk. I don't text that much and the only time I use data is when I use the GPS on my phone, so I'm good with the rest of the plan.

Hope that helps. I've had a TracFone for 10-12 years and never had an issue with it. I can get service in some places my husband can't (he has AT&T).

ETA: If you need to buy more it's $10 for 500 minutes or 1g of data. And the yearly renewal fee is $135 for the same 1500 talk/1500 text/1.5 g data. And you can keep your same phone number.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-21, 10:26 AM  
Nanny

Sherry,

You may want to check out HSN as well. I got an LG Journey (it's sold out), but the Moto E is only $60 w/ a yr service (1500 min/1500 text/1.5 GB data). HSN has a code for new customers - HSN2021 - which is $20 off your order.

https://www.hsn.com/products/motorol...xtdata/9921096

HTH,
Nanny
Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-21, 03:14 PM  
carly

I am a Tracfone user also - for 10+ years. I have a hand-me-down phone so I am considered a bring your own phone client. Tracfone sells phones on their website. Tracfone uses AT&T (GSM) and Verizon (CDMA) networks. If your neighborhood gets better service from Verizon you should buy a CDMA compatible phone and vise versa.

I have the $125, 365 days, 1500 min talk, 1500 text and 1.5 gig data plan. Additional data costs $10 for 1 gig. My service renews every year on December 1st. Tracfone has coupons and sales through out the year but they are best during and right after Black Friday. For the last 4 years I have been paying $72 a year. There are probably deals for KathyB's $199 service also. (When you buy your second year it is added to what you already have. So you can take advantage of a sale in the months before your service expires.)

Your minutes, text and data roll-over indefinitely. The reason I chose the cheaper of the 2 plans is because I have built up 6000 talk, 8000 text and 8 gigs of service from past years when I didn't have a smartphone.

If you go with Tracfone make sure and look for coupons and discounts at Tracfone.com and elsewhere on the Internet.
carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-21, 03:14 PM  
sherry7899

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I appreciate it and will look into them both.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-21, 03:31 PM  
carly

Things you might want to know:
To keep my data usage low I:

1. I keep my mobile data turned off at all times. If I am out and need to google something or send an email I turn the data on. I mostly use mobile data for GPS which uses very little data. You can monitor your monthly usage on your phone.
2. I put my phone on wifi if I want to use data when I am at home - this doesn't use up any of your data allotment.
2. I have my email set to only update when I toggle it. And I try to toggle it only when I am on wifi (I usually read all my email on my ipad at home.)
3. I don't use other people's wifi for security reasons.
4. I also text more often now that I have a smartphone.

You might also want to look into Verizon's new service called Visible.
Old 06-07-21, 03:37 PM  
sciencelady

I had a Tracfone several years ago, but got rid of it. The phone worked OK when I used it in cities during conferences, but would not receive calls when I was out in the countryside at my brother's house taking care of my parents. My brother's phone worked OK there. Because of that, I discontinued it. I'll likely be getting an iPhone this fall to accommodate a visiting foreign student this school year - I want the phone to connect up with my Apple computer also - the Tracfone didn't connect with my computer.
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-21, 04:07 PM  
carly

As far as phones we are an android family. We have used a Moto G, Samsung S5 and currently Samsung S9's and have had good experience with all of them.....but they are all 2019 or before models.
Old 06-07-21, 05:26 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

Moto G has been rated very high for value phone. I paid $150 last year for a previous year model (new).

I use AT&T prepaid. You pay what you use.
https://www.att.com/prepaid/plans/
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-21, 05:43 PM  
Lauracat
VF Supporter

I also have an unlocked moto g power from last year, and I use US Mobile as my provider. Very happy with both!
Lauracat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, cell phone plans, iphone, mobile devices, off topic, off-topic, smart phones