Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-02-21, 10:41 PM  
Genevieve M

question about bungee strength/firmness on a Bellicon

i All,

I have a 49" Bellicon that I bought a few years ago from a small gym that no longer needed it. This device has bungees with the green clips - that means ultra firm, right?

In watching some other YT vids of Bellicon users, people seem go way down into the mat on their Bellicons. Am not sure that I would like that kind of dip - it seems like it would be hard to balance.

What type of firmness do other Bellicon users have?

Also - a general rebounding question - does it take a while to get your balance on a rebounder? I have been toying with getting a stability bar, or making one of my own. I don't have a lot of confidence jumping high/putting air into my jumps.

I really want to experience the benefits of rebounding, but these two issues have been bugging me and would love to get your insight. Thanks.
Genevieve M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-21, 07:50 AM  
bubbles76

From what I have read, depending on when you bought the bellicon (or when the gym bought the bellicon) the bungee strength may have changed over time. Big Bubble bought me a bellicon 2 years ago, and it is time for me to replace the bungees. My bungees have the yellow clips, so they are considered strong. I don't feel that those give me a firm enough bounce for the type of workouts I want to do (jogging, jumping, etc.) so I bought the extra strong (red clips). We will see how it works out.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-21, 08:59 AM  
Gale K.
VF Supporter

I have the strong clips and they work well for my purposes (I weigh around 127). I'm able to jog, do jumping jacks, follow along videos. I'm afraid the extra-strong might be a little too firm for me and would require that I wear shoes, and I prefer going barefoot. I had medium strength bungees initially and found then too soft. However, the softer the bounce, the more challenging it is.

As far as balance, if you feel stable enough, I would forgo the stability bar so that you are not relying on it, which should help improve your balance. You don't have to do high air jumps to get a good workout on the rebounder. I hardly ever do that, and most of the bellicon videos that I have done don't take that approach.

You do need to replace bungees periodically; I think I changed after 2-3 years and the bungees were getting "noisy." They usually have them on sale around Black Friday.

The winds of grace are blowing all the time--all we need to do is raise our sails.
-Rama Krishna, as quoted by Baron Baptiste
Gale K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-21, 09:00 AM  
MsThistlebottom

I’m in “we will see” mode as well. Just swapped my red clips for yellow because I wanted a softer bounce for the gentle bouncing I’m doing now to get used to rebounding after a long absence. If (hopefully WHEN) I get back to jogging or more vigorous bouncing, I’ll likely put the red clips back on. I also just added support bars as my balance is not what it used to be (I’m 67).

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-21, 05:46 PM  
geojill

I weigh 125 and have the strong bungees. Extra strong was just too firm for me. If you want to do faster moves, a firmer bounce is better. But I am only a half a beat behind using my strong bungees and it feels better physically without being too soft. I jog and also follow YouTube videos like SanFran Fitness.

I don’t have balance problems on it. Maybe because I already have been exercising so balance is better, but also since it’s firm enough it doesn’t cause balance problems.

Hope this helps!

Tags
bellicon, bellicon bungees, bellicon cords, rebounders, rebounding