Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-24-21, 10:00 AM  
sherry7899

walking shoes/sneakers

I am trying to get outside for short walks a few times a week (around 20 minutes) to get some fresh air after being inside all winter.

I don't have "walking sneakers". The first day I tried wearing a pair of cross trainers I used for exercising that I downgraded to "everyday outdoor shoes." They were not comfortable for walking. The second day I tried another pair but they were not any more comfortable. Today I tried street shoes that I wear all the time. They were not great either.

Is there some huge difference in shoes especially designed for walking?

I have size 10 wide feet, so it's a little hard finding comfortable shoes/sneakers. I tend to order from Zappos since they have free shipping and returns.

Thanks!
Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-21, 10:13 AM  
BunnyHop

A while back I got some Hoka One One Challenger's with Gore Tex for walking in the rain, but I do find them to be just fine for dry days as well.

Very comfy.

On the other hand, I keep hearing about more minimal styles and am curious about them. Still haven't found anything I'd like to buy because I wear a wide and I can't make up my mind.
Old 03-24-21, 10:17 AM  
alisoncooks

I have picky feet. I walk in running shoes (Brooks Glycerin) and as long as I don't let them get too worn out, they do fine.
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-21, 10:29 AM  
rhbrand

I either wear Hokas or Brooks. Right now, my feet are loving my Hokas more than Brooks.
Old 03-24-21, 10:29 AM  
Vantreesta

I have happily walked in many different shoes! My favorites tend to be Saucony but in the past I have also liked New Balance and Skechers. I've also walked in Hoka and Altra. I don't remember for sure but I think I generally do choose a shoe marketed as a walking shoe. When I shop for walking shoes I stick my hand inside to check how cushiony it feels, the more the better for me. Most of the time I buy Dr. Scholl's inserts as well. Because I walk usually three times a day I actually have several pair of shoes I rotate through.

Have you considered trying men's sneakers? You might have an easier time finding something you like in your size.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-21, 10:30 AM  
Sissy B

I had a gait analysis done years ago at a specialty running store. I told them upfront that I did not run. They still put me in running shoes and they are comfortable to walk in, but once they're worn out, you can definitely tell. You have to replace them regularly. I still follow their recommendations when I buy new shoes. I've worn several brands over the years, my favorites are New Balance and Asics, but I like Saucony too.

I have walking/workout shoes and everyday shoes. I don't wear the everyday shoes when I go walking and I replace them regularly too.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-21, 10:32 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

When I did the Avon 39 I used Hoka's. Love them. They are pricey but lasted me a long time. I had to finally declare them "done".
Old 03-24-21, 12:03 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

My mom has been wearing Brooks Addiction Walkers for years. I think she's on her 2nd or 3rd pair (she only uses them about 1/3 of the year because her feet are always warm so she usually wears crocs or somewhat supportive sandals).

The downside is that the Brooks Addiction are heavy (12oz per shoe I think) and they are definitely not "cute" to look at IMO. Kind of bulky, orthopedic-looking in fact.

Unfortunately it looks like Brooks now has a Brooks Addiction 2 version out and the reviews don't look too good. However, now they have an option where you can get them with velcro (which my mom would appreciate as she has trouble getting in/out of laced shoes).
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-21, 12:16 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I've been happy with my Brooks. I went to Eastern Mountain Sports and got fitted because of all my foot problems. They weren't cheap.

In the past I've had good luck with Skechers Go Walk for a less costly shoe.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-21, 04:21 PM  
Tugger31

I do ALOT of walking and have tried many different shoes (just the ones I previously had prior to upping my walking mileage). I've walked mostly in running shoes (Asics, Nike, New Balance, Saucony, Brooks) they were all okay for shorter distances but my feet would ache with longer distances. For me, the best shoes for walking have been my Ryka Devotion shoes. Since I bought these there are other styles besides the Devotion for walking so I can't comment on those.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shoes, sneakers, walking shoes