Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-27-20, 05:57 AM  
Tugger31

Question Need Beginner Rec's for a Friend

I have a friend who needs to lose weight and start exercising due to a recent medical diagnosis. She doesn't workout at all and it's been so hot to even walk outside has been a challenge for her. I was thinking of surprising her with some dvds either Leslie or Jessica. I think Jessica's multi disc 6 Week set may be a bit overwhelming. I'd still like a "program" she can follow but maybe only 2-3 workouts maybe something with a resistance band. I'm not very familiar with Leslie other than I know some of her chattiness may get on someone's nerves so I don't want that to be a reason she won't do the workouts.

Any suggestions??
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-20, 06:36 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Stephanie Huckabee's set - 20 minutes a day is pretty easy to handle if you are a beginner. https://www.amazon.com/Stephanie-Huc.../dp/B0033CBAPQ

or Jessica's 21 Day Walk On set.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-20, 07:20 AM  
Demeris

Mirabai Holland:

TOTAL BODY HEALTH EXERCISE BEGINNERS 3 DVD SET Fabulous ForeverŪ Cardio, Strength, & Stretch
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-20, 08:45 AM  
alisoncooks

I think the RehabZone DVDs would be great for beginners. That's how I've used them. They run 20-25 minutes, include a warmup and long stretch. Most are bodyweight exercises, but by the end of level 2 you need a dumbbell. Other than that, you just need a chair and towel/stretch strap.

It's a pricey set, though. Around $60...but it has 3 discs with 4 workouts. It's not really a mix and match set (more like a progressing set) so it might be boring. I find it almost zen-level soothing.
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-20, 09:02 AM  
bubbles76

Maybe the Herbalife 24 set. I also really like the Powerfit suggestion. Project You with Kathy Smith is also good.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-20, 09:08 AM  
wendug

Hi Bubbles! I know you mentioned in another thread that you wanted to try Debra Mazda's workouts and these are truly beginner workouts. I had her step workout a few years ago, and it was definitely too easy for me but would be perfect for a beginner. She has several dvds available (step, walking, cardio toning with weights) that might be perfect for your friend. Looks like you can pick them up used for little money, too.
Old 07-27-20, 01:38 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
Hi Bubbles! I know you mentioned in another thread that you wanted to try Debra Mazda's workouts and these are truly beginner workouts. I had her step workout a few years ago, and it was definitely too easy for me but would be perfect for a beginner. She has several dvds available (step, walking, cardio toning with weights) that might be perfect for your friend. Looks like you can pick them up used for little money, too.
Well I was confused when I wrote this comment this morning. I read bubbles comment and thought she had started the thread. Sorry for the confusion bubbles and tugger!
Old 07-28-20, 12:26 PM  
bfit

There are two workouts with Debby Mack on DVD called the "Plus Size" workouts. One is low impact aerobics and the other is kickboxing. The workouts are each 30 minutes, and there is a 10 minute add-on bonus toning segment on each DVD. They are fun and beginner level.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-20, 12:44 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

How about Jessica's Feel Good Fusion workout? I love that one and the scenery is gorgeous! And, she has the 10 minute Quick Walks DVD or the Walk On 15 minute Fat Blast DVD. That way she could mix and match short workouts with a pleasant instructor.

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-20, 02:24 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

all great suggestions.

post back and let us know how it goes.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beginner, beginner workouts, restarting