Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-30-20, 02:30 AM  
suzannaerin

Does your neighborhood have any of those little libraries https://littlefreelibrary.org/build/?

I have ordered and received books from a local bookstore Politics and Prose (ship all over the country) and from Amazon. Even though the virus isn’t supposed to pose a risk on mail or packages, I give it the old 24 hour quarantine before opening anything. So far, so good

Maybe we can start book trades here? I always donate my books to our Little Library or to the county library when read.
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-20, 03:58 AM  
janice

Great selection of used books at -

https://www.betterworldbooks.com/

and

https://www.betterworldbooks.com/

Have used both for many years, they have good international shipping too!

janice
janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-20, 05:29 AM  
Carol K

When I finish the book I'm reading, I'll try checking out an eBook from the library, although so far I haven't found a eBook I want to read that is available from the library either (they have them, but all copies are checked out). But the technology instructions are very confusing. My husband has a Kindle, but he hasn't checked anything out from the library, otherwise I would know what to do.
Old 04-30-20, 07:38 AM  
owltx

Both DS and I read through our library books early on as well. I so miss the library. I do check out ebooks through their app, I just prefer reading the actual books if I can. In addition, the wait lists on the ebooks take *forever*. I don't know why. I have a fair amount of books at home, and so have grabbed a couple of favorites to re-read.
Old 04-30-20, 07:59 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Oh yes, I really wish I had gone to the library and cleared the shelves before they closed! Especially for my kids. My older son has read everything in our collection at least twice. I ordered him a few books from Amazon, but I moved two years ago and the pain of schlepping books is still fresh in my mind! I'm loathe to buy more books when we will eventually have library access again. E-books are not the same!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-20, 10:18 AM  
BunnyHop

I got some books on cd downloaded to mp3 files before all this started up, got some actual books and even a few movies.

It lasted a while, but in the past week I've bought some paperbacks so I can branch out a bit.

The only real trouble I have is that my taste in books has shifted quite a bit from whatever it was five years ago. Not into intense/dark/violent anything, and I'm totally burned out on any sort of murder mystery, however cozy.

I'd been using the library to help myself figure out what I enjoy now, but my experiments were still sort of preliminary.

Mostly I think I just want to get out of the house, LOL!!

If anyone's in search of something to read, try Becky Chambers The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet.
Old 04-30-20, 10:22 AM  
sherry7899

Anna, do you like psychological suspense or women's fiction?

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-20, 10:29 AM  
Laurengmt

Our library is less than half a mile down the road and has a used bookstore within it where paperbacks are 25 cents apiece! I miss them A LOT and can't wait for them to reopen. Meanwhile, I get used paperbacks from Amazon, sometimes at good prices, but nowhere near the 25 cents from the bookstore! I go through about two a week and have eight unread ones at home right now. Hope this whole shutdown nightmare is over by the time I run out of these books!
Laurengmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-20, 10:32 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Somebody on Facebook asked where we plan to go as soon as things are open again and my answer was the library!

I found it very hard to focus on anything at first, physical or ebook (I go back and forth but prefer physical books), but audio helped--I finally found a couple of good listens via Overdrive (haven't switched to Libby yet), and then managed to get through a couple of YA fantasies that have been sitting on my shelf for years.

Sadly I ordered a used book from Half Price and though USPS tracking shows that it was delivered to my apartment cluster box last Thursday, I never got it and the USPS investigation wasn't helpful. My carrier checked the other boxes for me but didn't find it. My guess is that it was misdelivered to one of my neighbors and they either can't be bothered to drop it by or want to read it themselves I'm thinking of posting fliers by the mailboxes,

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-20, 10:34 AM  
sherry7899

Kate, that stinks! I hope the book shows up.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19, ebook, ebooks, reading