Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-22-18, 08:49 AM  
daisymae

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey View Post
Hi
Well way back when when the classics came out, I was doing them 5 days a week so I guess I'm a test monkey that can answer affirmatively YES to your inquiry. When I first was doing volume 1, then added 2 then added 3, they all have floorwork at the end and I had truly noticeable changes in the shape of my lower body. I looked much much slimmer and more defined in my lower half. With volume 4, it actually did great stuff but I didnt do it as made. Instead, i would rewind to before the standing overhead triceps and I believe it made the workout end at almost one hour. That made volume 4 perfect for me and it was the only firm classic that made my legs sore the next day. Volume 5 and 6, I just never "loved".

So the earlier classic floorwork at the end system really did have a great effect on me physically. I felt that the later firms had alot more standing work and that did effect the way my body felt, like the floor work helped me be lean and muscular with the standing, while standing work made me not as streamlined, I guess.

Firm Cardio and Firm Strength are classics to me too. I love them and they have the same sort of set up as volumes 1 and 2 with the standing and floorwork.

These days I do Ballet Body downloads by Leah Sarago, Tonique downloads, Strong Stride floorwork (clunky dvd setup but amazing floorwork to me) , Linda Wooldridge youtube workouts and run. The floorwork is great for hips and knees too.

HTH casey
Hi, thanks so much for your feedback! That is what I was suspecting and I'm sure that many others have had the same experience as you. Thanks for the input on the other dvds as well...it gives me a better idea of what they are like. I will have to look up Firm Cardio and Firm Strength as well.

I love ballet based workouts too! I do a lot of Ellen Barrett and Jessica Smith (she has a lot of great ballet/barre workouts) because I prefer ones that do not need the use of a barre/chair. I think both of the different types of workouts compliment each other nicely.
daisymae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-18, 08:55 AM  
daisymae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Cardio Sculpt has good floorwork, yes, but it's nothing like the floorwork from Volumes 1 and 2.
Thanks for clarifying...it looks like I may have to try these two after all!
Old 03-22-18, 10:36 AM  
daisymae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol K View Post
Cardio Sculpt has floor work. I remember Cathy Sovde saying it wasn't going to be included originally, but then they decided to leave it in.
Thanks for pointing this out to me. I am watching it right now. I wish my dvd had chapters - I had to fast forward to get to it!
Old 03-22-18, 11:02 AM  
Carol K

I know; I hate that the GT DVDs aren't chaptered. It's the worst with FIRM Abs and Super Body Sculpt because they have three individual workouts, but you can't select the workout you want up front.
Old 03-22-18, 11:06 AM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

I'm a long term Firm fan, and love the floor work in vol. 1 and 2. I have also done Ballet Beautiful floor work, and I would say they are pretty different.

The main difference (as someone else noted) is that The Firm uses weights - both ankle weights and an added dumbbell sometimes - during their floorwork and all of the BB workouts I have done have no added weight.

Also a cornerstone of BB's floorwork is the bridge exercise, which she does in releve a lot and/or with one leg elevated in the air. The Firm uses a more athletic (vs. barre) approach and keeps feet flat on the floor, with weights on your hips for added resistance. BB seems harder to me with this exercise, of course it may also be harder not due to the technique but because BB has you in bridge for probably 15 minutes vs. maybe 2-3 minutes with Firm.

By contrast, the table work in BB seems easier than Firm because of the added ankle weights. No matter the reps it's just harder with resistance! I'm looking at you, Vol. 1, 2, 3, and Firm Cardio!

Overall, the Firm is more fun because it is a little less boring, due to a lot more variety of exercises, and better music. While I think the BB exercises are effective, I don't pull them out much because they are just a bit dry with the extremely repetitive movements. Although bless her heart MHB is extremely sweet.
Old 03-22-18, 01:45 PM  
daisymae

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebianco View Post
I'm a long term Firm fan, and love the floor work in vol. 1 and 2. I have also done Ballet Beautiful floor work, and I would say they are pretty different.

The main difference (as someone else noted) is that The Firm uses weights - both ankle weights and an added dumbbell sometimes - during their floorwork and all of the BB workouts I have done have no added weight.

Also a cornerstone of BB's floorwork is the bridge exercise, which she does in releve a lot and/or with one leg elevated in the air. The Firm uses a more athletic (vs. barre) approach and keeps feet flat on the floor, with weights on your hips for added resistance. BB seems harder to me with this exercise, of course it may also be harder not due to the technique but because BB has you in bridge for probably 15 minutes vs. maybe 2-3 minutes with Firm.

By contrast, the table work in BB seems easier than Firm because of the added ankle weights. No matter the reps it's just harder with resistance! I'm looking at you, Vol. 1, 2, 3, and Firm Cardio!

Overall, the Firm is more fun because it is a little less boring, due to a lot more variety of exercises, and better music. While I think the BB exercises are effective, I don't pull them out much because they are just a bit dry with the extremely repetitive movements. Although bless her heart MHB is extremely sweet.
Yes! I feel the same way about BB! It sounds like I will need to order the Firm!! Thanks so much for the comparison!!
Old 03-22-18, 02:28 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebianco View Post
BB seems harder to me with this exercise, of course it may also be harder not due to the technique but because BB has you in bridge for probably 15 minutes vs. maybe 2-3 minutes with Firm.
which BB title has this that you refer to?

and also, of the BB titles, though you said you don't reach for them as often, do you like the most?

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-18, 03:10 PM  
Exercise Diva

All of this talk about the Firm classics made me run to my collection to pull one one and lo and behold I think I shared them with friends and never got them back - so I ordered Vol 1 and 2. The jogging in place and jumping and jacks are tougher on my knees than when I was in my 20's but I'll pull out my Bellicon and should be all set. I can't wait to start these up again. Aside from the workouts themselves I love the production quality of these workouts.
Exercise Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-18, 05:24 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Daisymae I'm glad that was helpful!! If you end up getting any classic Firms, I'd love to hear what you think of them!

Bzar The one with I think a 15 minute bridge work is Ballet Beautiful: Body Blast (green cover) but I also think the Total Body Workout (the hot pink cover) has a long bridge work series. I would say these two are my favorites. I like that they are all toning, she does the glutes, inner and outer thighs, abs, and seated swan arms which is actually pretty challenging. I got rid of her Swan Arms Cardio because I was bored out of my mind with her cardio I just really didn't like it! I think she may have one or two newer ones but I never got them, I don't use the ones I have enough to merit more purchases!

Exercise Diva I totally do the Volume 1 jumping on my rebounder, and it's great!!
Old 03-22-18, 05:30 PM  
momofcha

I love the idea of using the rebounder for the cardio of the classics. Thanks!

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ballet beautiful, floor work, floorwork, of steel, swan arms