Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-21-18, 02:58 PM  
daisymae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio6 View Post
IMHO Ballet Beautiful is Jane Fonda recycled, boring repetitions of boring exercises. I'm sure if you could put yourself thru that on a regular basis it would give results but mentally I can't handle it. The Firm is much better. I am amused to notice that now MHB is finally adding weights to her workouts.
Lol, I know what you mean...that is why I can never stay with it for very long! Sometimes I will mindlessly do it from memory while watching TV so that I have something else to focus on.
daisymae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-18, 03:16 PM  
pollytc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post

The Firm is known mostly for its aerobic weight training and tall box work. floorwork is in the earlier firms and not necessarily a main feature of the firm as a whole. for people used to doing aerobics for their workouts, the firm was one of the first series to use weights.
I have to disagree with this statement. When referring to the classics, I think of volumes 1-6, and I think of those as being well rounded with the aerobic weight training and lower body floor Work added in. Perhaps that’s just my perception as to why I think they work so well. I also consider Tortoise, Hare, Cardio and Strength as part of the classics where as some don’t though.
Old 03-21-18, 04:08 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quick Callanetics* series with Callan Pinckney has LB work which is a slightly different take than what's considered floor work, and worth considering:

*Quick Callanetics Hips and Behind
Quick Callanetics Stomach
Quick Callanetics Legs

all 3 come on 1 DVD or separate. the 3-workout DVD is chaptered. Stomach is on the floor or seated. Legs is a standing workout.

Hips and behind will give you a run for your money.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-18, 04:16 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollytc View Post
I have to disagree with this statement.
thanks for your feedback.

I was answering it in the context of daisy's question about floor work.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 03-21-18, 04:26 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisymae View Post
Quote:
EDITED TO ADD:
I tagged this thread near the bottom left in this frame - there's tons of threads regarding floor work.
Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of dvds with good floor work but I was wondering if the floor work in the classic 1 & 2 was one of the reasons people seem to find those so effective. There are many workout dvds with weights added to cardio including the pink Firms but yet from what I have read, everyone seems to agree that the Classic Firms, especially 1 and 2 are very effective and " there is nothing quite like them". I have read that over and over and I got curious as to why... Since the newer Firms are similar in that they use cardio and weights and a combo of the two but lack the floor work, would it stand to reason that the floor work in the earlier ones are what make them more effective?
I guess it depends on what people are looking for and how their body responds.

AWT, heavy weights and tall box appeal to me the most, and I don't necessarily seek floor work, although i'll do it if it's there.

Old 03-21-18, 04:26 PM  
pollytc

Gotcha sorry. I misunderstood. I thought it was in reference to the classics.
Old 03-21-18, 04:41 PM  
Cowgirl32

The classics are very unique. And I'm finding a renewed drive to use them. Put on your own cardio mix(lots of cardio mixes with the same beats per minute). They flyyyy by.

I get the best results doing large muscle work, followed by small muscle/floorwork. They are so effective because they focus on ALL angles.
Old 03-21-18, 06:21 PM  
casey

Quote:
EDITED TO ADD:

Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of dvds with good floor work but I was wondering if the floor work in the classic 1 & 2 was one of the reasons people seem to find those so effective. There are many workout dvds with weights added to cardio including the pink Firms but yet from what I have read, everyone seems to agree that the Classic Firms, especially 1 and 2 are very effective and " there is nothing quite like them". I have read that over and over and I got curious as to why... Since the newer Firms are similar in that they use cardio and weights and a combo of the two but lack the floor work, would it stand to reason that the floor work in the earlier ones are what make them more effective?
Hi
Well way back when when the classics came out, I was doing them 5 days a week so I guess I'm a test monkey that can answer affirmatively YES to your inquiry. When I first was doing volume 1, then added 2 then added 3, they all have floorwork at the end and I had truly noticeable changes in the shape of my lower body. I looked much much slimmer and more defined in my lower half. With volume 4, it actually did great stuff but I didnt do it as made. Instead, i would rewind to before the standing overhead triceps and I believe it made the workout end at almost one hour. That made volume 4 perfect for me and it was the only firm classic that made my legs sore the next day. Volume 5 and 6, I just never "loved".

So the earlier classic floorwork at the end system really did have a great effect on me physically. I felt that the later firms had alot more standing work and that did effect the way my body felt, like the floor work helped me be lean and muscular with the standing, while standing work made me not as streamlined, I guess.

Firm Cardio and Firm Strength are classics to me too. I love them and they have the same sort of set up as volumes 1 and 2 with the standing and floorwork.

These days I do Ballet Body downloads by Leah Sarago, Tonique downloads, Strong Stride floorwork (clunky dvd setup but amazing floorwork to me) , Linda Wooldridge youtube workouts and run. The floorwork is great for hips and knees too.

HTH casey
casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-18, 06:05 AM  
Carol K

Quote:
Sorry, the "purples" I have are the Body Sculpting System ones: Cardio Sculpt, Body Sculpt and Ab Sculpt. I also have Super Cardio Mix which is a different color purple.

Thanks for the info and recommendations! I will check them out!
Cardio Sculpt has floor work. I remember Cathy Sovde saying it wasn't going to be included originally, but then they decided to leave it in.
Old 03-22-18, 06:47 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Cardio Sculpt has good floorwork, yes, but it's nothing like the floorwork from Volumes 1 and 2.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ballet beautiful, floor work, floorwork, of steel, swan arms