Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-21-18, 09:06 AM  
daisymae

Classic Firms floor work and Ballet Beautiful similar?

I do not own any of the classic Firms but I keep reading about how great they are. Upon previewing some of the clips, it looks like the floor work that everyone raves about looks similar to Ballet Beautiful. Can anyone confirm that? I'm trying to decide if I should order any of the Classics but they are a little dated and it's not like I really need any more! I have most of the Ballet Beautiful dvds but I just find them so boring. so it's hard to force myself to do them. Also, if you can recommend anything similar to the Classics, be it a newer Firm or something else, please do.
daisymae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-18, 09:13 AM  
DawnMarie

Honestly, there is nothing quite like the classic Firms. i have never done Ballet Beautiful, but pretty much own every Firm ever made. They may be dated in appearance but in no way are dated in results.
Old 03-21-18, 09:27 AM  
daisymae

Thanks, that's what I was afraid of, lol. I feel like I am going to have to order them just to see what everyone is talking about!!
Old 03-21-18, 10:16 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMarie View Post
Honestly, there is nothing quite like the classic Firms. i have never done Ballet Beautiful, but pretty much own every Firm ever made. They may be dated in appearance but in no way are dated in results.
ditto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisymae View Post
Thanks, that's what I was afraid of, lol. I feel like I am going to have to order them just to see what everyone is talking about!!
yet i have also been intrigued by the ballet beautiful workouts, so which ones are your favorites?

regarding your interest in The Firm, is it just floorwork that you are interested in?

The Firm is known mostly for its aerobic weight training and tall box work. floorwork is in the earlier firms and not necessarily a main feature of the firm as a whole. for people used to doing aerobics for their workouts, the firm was one of the first series to use weights.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-18, 10:39 AM  
daisymae

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
ditto.

yet i have also been intrigued by the ballet beautiful workouts, so which ones are your favorites?

regarding your interest in The Firm, is it just floorwork that you are interested in?

The Firm is known mostly for its aerobic weight training and tall box work. floorwork is in the earlier firms and not necessarily a main feature of the firm as a whole. for people used to doing aerobics for their workouts, the firm was one of the first series to use weights.
I have a lot of the "pinks". Yes, I am a little late to the Firm party! I also picked up a few of the purple ones at a thrift store but haven't tried them yet. I am more interested in the floor work that I saw in clips of vol 1 and 2 because I know that type of work seems very effective if you can keep up with it. I remember some of it from Buns/Thighs of Steel. I already do a lot of cardio with weights so I have a lot of options for that.

My favorite BB's are the Total Body, Body Blast and Sculpt and Burn Cardio Blast. They are ridiculously challenging and very effective but somehow a little tedious and boring so I find that I always reach for higher energy workouts. The Firm's seem a lot more energetic so I am curious about whether or not I should take the plunge and order vol 1 and 2.
Old 03-21-18, 10:49 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Vol 1 and 2 definitely have floor work, and weights are used. vol 5 has a very excellent floor work section.

Sculpted Buns Hips and Thigh is a "parts" tape, derived from Tortoise and Hare - it's all floorwork.

another parts tape is derived from Vol's 1-6, called Lower Body Sculpting, "hosted" by Kathy Derry.

the "pinks" have no floor work that i can recall. not sure what you mean by the "purples", but in general, when The Firm got bought out, floor work was non-existent.

non-Firm floor work recommendations:

Karen Voight Great Weighted Workout - this is also chaptered, so you can go straight to that section. yowza.

Debbie Siebers Firm It Up is non-weighted and all floor work and abs. one cast member uses weights, Debbie is unweighted.

Margaret Richard, i understand has lots of floor work, although i don't own any MR.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 03-21-18, 11:00 AM  
daisymae

Sorry, the "purples" I have are the Body Sculpting System ones: Cardio Sculpt, Body Sculpt and Ab Sculpt. I also have Super Cardio Mix which is a different color purple.

Thanks for the info and recommendations! I will check them out!
Old 03-21-18, 01:00 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

BSS1 doesn't have any floor work - the VF reviews are very detailed - you can read them.

from the BSS "six pack", Libby's Lower Body Sculpt II is all floor work, however (sheesh - that price is steep):
https://smile.amazon.com/Firm-Lower-...ody+sculpt+dvd

note that LBSI with Lisa Kay is standing LB work using the FL.

the other floor work recommendation is Gilad's older series, namely, New Best of Bodies in Motion:
https://smile.amazon.com/Best-Bodies...+in+motion+dvd

EDITED TO ADD:
I tagged this thread near the bottom left in this frame - there's tons of threads regarding floor work.

Old 03-21-18, 01:41 PM  
Scorpio6

IMHO Ballet Beautiful is Jane Fonda recycled, boring repetitions of boring exercises. I'm sure if you could put yourself thru that on a regular basis it would give results but mentally I can't handle it. The Firm is much better. I am amused to notice that now MHB is finally adding weights to her workouts.
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-18, 02:54 PM  
daisymae

EDITED TO ADD:
I tagged this thread near the bottom left in this frame - there's tons of threads regarding floor work.[/QUOTE]

Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of dvds with good floor work but I was wondering if the floor work in the classic 1 & 2 was one of the reasons people seem to find those so effective. There are many workout dvds with weights added to cardio including the pink Firms but yet from what I have read, everyone seems to agree that the Classic Firms, especially 1 and 2 are very effective and " there is nothing quite like them". I have read that over and over and I got curious as to why... Since the newer Firms are similar in that they use cardio and weights and a combo of the two but lack the floor work, would it stand to reason that the floor work in the earlier ones are what make them more effective?

Tags
ballet beautiful, floor work, floorwork, of steel, swan arms