Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-31-17, 01:13 PM  
Tugger31

Swan Arms...??

I just did Body Blast Swan Arms for the first time. Let me preface this with saying I have zero dance experience and I have short, stocky arms so I'm more of the Body Blast T-Rex Arms workout genre.

I have big shoulders (like a swimmer). I feel like this workout will make my shoulders bigger b/c that's the only place I felt the burn even though I was being very aware of keeping my shoulders down and chest open during the workout.

Am I doing something wrong? Has this bulked up anyone else's shoulders? Obviously it hasn't bulked up Mary Helen's, but her and I have polar opposite builds. I know it's not possible to achieve her build either as our aesthetics are different, but slimming my arms down some would be nice!
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-17, 01:33 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

I'll follow this thread with interest, whenever I've done "swan arms" workouts - primarily with Mary Helen, it mostly feels like shoulder work to me.

For an unweighted arm workout, I feel like TA's Mat arms is more dynamic and balanced.
Old 01-31-17, 01:58 PM  
LoveVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebianco View Post
I'll follow this thread with interest, whenever I've done "swan arms" workouts - primarily with Mary Helen, it mostly feels like shoulder work to me.

For an unweighted arm workout, I feel like TA's Mat arms is more dynamic and balanced.
TA Mat arms is great. I still can't do that part all the way through without taking a short break.
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-17, 02:20 PM  
leigh1673

Also following because I've wondered the same thing. With most of TA's arm work and Swan arms from the Blast dvd, I primarily feel it in my neck/shoulders.

Now, the arm work from the original Ballet Beautiful? That I feel working in my triceps!
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-17, 02:23 PM  
Tugger31

Yeah, maybe I'll stick with TA Mat arms. It was good to try it though. I also did Butt Series #1 for the first time. It didn't burn as much as I thought, but would have if I had done both of the butt workouts back to back. I decided to wait til another day to do the 2nd one. I'm not sure my form was right on some of the butt moves either. I'll have to watch some tutorials again. When she said that one move was like a "fondu" my mind went right to "fondue" and dipping some stuff in cheese! I have no clue what a ballet "fondu" is but I'm guessing it doesn't involve skewers. I'm using the next two weeks to do my new workouts so I can familiarize myself with them and figure out how to rotate them.
Old 01-31-17, 02:56 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh1673 View Post
Also following because I've wondered the same thing. With most of TA's arm work and Swan arms from the Blast dvd, I primarily feel it in my neck/shoulders.

Now, the arm work from the original Ballet Beautiful? That I feel working in my triceps!
Oh yeah! I forgot how great the arm work from the original Ballet Beautiful was (all seated). That was a better use of time I really like that entire DVD.

Tugger, that is pretty funny about the fondue comment
Old 01-31-17, 04:31 PM  
zippity

Ack, Swan Arms! *runs away

Actually, I love swan arms, but it's challenging.

I'm a former ballet dancer. In dance, we are told to relax the shoulders, hold the shoulders down, and to shift the work from the shoulders to the back of the arm. Picture an imaginary line running from the top of the back of your armpits to you your pinkie finger. That's where the work should come from.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-31-17, 06:23 PM  
Tugger31

Zippity, from what you are saying the work is all in the shoulders??
Old 01-31-17, 06:39 PM  
GypsyRose

Swan Arms made my shoulders bigger. And my neck hurt. Did nothing for my arms.

The tricep work on the 1st DVD is awesome! My arms look the best ever when I do that workout every other day. Sadly, it also hurts my neck. Not sure if I get stronger, but my arms are fit and toned with that workout.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l-scthNLrA&t=454s
GypsyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-17, 09:14 PM  
zippity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger31 View Post
Zippity, from what you are saying the work is all in the shoulders??
Much of the work is in the back of the arms. However, when I was doing the up and down movements, the shoulders were activated. So, I think there is indeed shoulder work in Swan Arms, which is a change from my original post.

Tags
ballet beautiful, short arms, swan arms