Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-28-17, 09:02 PM  
Tugger31

Question Ballet Beautiful Rotation Help

I have Total Body and the Body Blast workouts. I'm definitely new to these types of workouts and need help with planning a rotation. I've done a search and found alot of comments about doing these workouts 5 days a week.

For those doing them 5 days a week, did you just alternate each dvd in its entirety each day or just did 1-2 sections of each dvd, 5 days a week. I fear doing them every day would be over-training (?)

Also I previewed the Swan Arms section from Body Blast. This seems as if it would over work the shoulders (?). I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what to do with my arms. Her wrists are so flexible it distracts me.

I'd appreciate any rotation ideas.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-17, 07:13 AM  
topfitmama

Hi Tugger,
Mary Helen recommends starting out slowly and working up to doing 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week. I think her recommendations are very realistic.
The DVDs are broken into 10-15 minute sections, right? It's easy to mix and match sections so you're working your whole body and not overworking any one body part. If one section is too tough, do less reps, stop to stretch, whatever you have to do to make it doable for you.
Have you seen her technique or "how to" videos? I think you can find them on her site. Let me see if I can find them for you. It's been a while!
Here's a video tutorial for Swan Arms

I've used her workouts but I tend to adapt them and do the reps I can do, at my speed, rather than trying to do it at her speed. She does move fast sometimes!
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-17, 11:00 AM  
Tugger31

I just got done doing my first BB workout ever. Before I did it I wanted to get a little cardio in so I did the bonus step section from Cathe's LIS Superset, but I did it on the floor. I think it'll be a good complement. There were arabesques and side leg lifts off the step, but doing them on the floor took out the quad work which is what my goal was.

So on to BB Total Body. I decided since I had the time this morning to do the whole workout so I could better gauge how to incorporate them into a rotation. I thought the Inner Thigh and Abs sections were the hardest even though they were the shortest. I did have to take breaks along the way. I definitely can see how this workout can slim the thighs. The Upper Body segment I was so-so on. I didn't do the second set of tricep dips, that moves aggravates my wrist. The seated arm section I have to get used to. I felt like I was flapping my arms around with no purpose. I seemed to feel it more in my shoulders than my triceps, maybe I was doing something wrong (?) I don't think I'll be doing the Standing portion much.

I plan on trying the Blasts workout this week.
Old 01-29-17, 03:55 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

The first time I did the Blast series, I did the whole thing, and I could barely walk for the next two days The Lower Body part is hardcore!

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-17, 04:52 PM  
LaCatrina

It's been a while since I did BB's classic 60 min workout, but I do remember that the last bit after the abs was a little less interesting than the lower body and abs sections. The swan arms from the blasts DVD, however, is very good I would do all the lower body and abs from the classic plus the swan arms for a better full body workout.

I went to ballet class for a good while when I was a little girl, and without proper positioning and posture you might end up feeling the moves differently or not moving the right way. This is the posture you should hold at all times while doing standing work https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...a27e26f0aa.jpg
Old 01-29-17, 07:13 PM  
Tugger31

Trying something new is a bit of a challenge for me. I'm always so nervous I'll lose strength, not like the way my body is shaping etc etc. But, truth is, I'm not satisfied with how I look now so I've got nothing to lose! I workout with Cathe 90+% of the time so though I'll miss her and I'm sure in time I'll work some of her workouts back into my routine, I'm excited about trying something totally different for me AND sticking with it long enough so say yes this works, or no this doesn't.

My upper body plan is going to be Swan Arms, TA's Mat and I'm also starting the 100 Push Up challenge this week. Unless I feel the need for a Cathe upper body every once in a while this is all I will be doing for upper body. (Not counting any non-weighted upper body that I get from yoga)

For lower body I'm doing Ballet Beautiful primarily and to prevent burn out, I have a few other lower body workouts to mix in (GWW, Buns of Steel, Margaret Richards, Tonique Mat and Orbeck's Supermodel Series floor section). I also hope to do Butt Bible once a week.

Cardio will be walking, kickboxing and jogging on my treadmill with no incline.

When I feel the need to mix it up I have Ruah's workouts, Exhale Core Fusion Bootcamp and Jennifer Galardi's Ballet Body. My work schedule is very hectic and unpredictable so I'll take my rotation one week at a time!

Tags
ballet beautiful, ballet beautiful rotation, swan arms