Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-30-16, 05:03 PM  
jerebo

Menopot

Hi all,

What videos, especially any that might be on sale at Total Fitness, do you find helpful for dealing with Menopot? I know that I need to change my diet and to do some cardio, but are there videos that will speed along the process?

Thanks,
Jen
Old 06-30-16, 09:25 PM  
ncl

Good question, have only just acquired the menopot, so also interested in some answers.
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-16, 01:10 AM  
starbelly

I was starting to get a bit of a pooch and a month of Ballet Beautiful flattened my abs quickly. You could start with the Classic video (now called Total Body, I believe). I did the online streaming for a month-- it was $9.99 for the first month-- and my skin firmed up and everything pulled in all in only 30-40 minutes 5 times per week.
starbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-16, 03:06 AM  
jerebo

Thanks for the Ballet Beautiful suggestion. I have been using the free YouTube workouts for lower body and like them. Would any of the You Tube workouts be good for the pooch?
Old 07-01-16, 04:30 AM  
starbelly

The Ballet Beautiful videos on Be Fit are almost all sections from the Classic DVD so no need to purchase it. I do the ab work with a ball behind my back (something learned from Barre3); that helps me to focus on my abdominals instead of compensating with other muscles. The ball has been instrumental for me to properly activate core muscles.

When I do other videos with ab sections, especially C-curve work which is not helpful for me, I sub in some Ballet Beautiful or Barre3 type ab work. You might also try Jill Miller's Coregeous which has good instruction and follow along workouts. Suzanne Bowen's Gorgeous Core also has a great plank section (Sleek Physique). Planks can also help to lean out the midsection.

I have Ballet Beautiful's Backstage workouts (a killer 15 minute ab section!) which are streaming and other bundles of streaming videos are available for purchase. If you like the streaming option, you can get the Ab Blast Bundle. Mary Helen seems to be making fewer DVDs since she started a subscription streaming service. I picked up the Sculpt and Burn video at Mary's sale, but haven't seen it yet. I think that consistency is important; you don't need to spend more than 5-10 minutes on ab work, but you need to do it regularly.

I also find that doing outer thigh and glute work helps to shape my abs because everything goes back in place, if that makes sense. Exercises that target the gluteus medius are especially helpful in this regard.

Last edited by starbelly; 07-01-16 at 04:32 AM. Reason: ETA- streaming option
Old 07-01-16, 06:38 AM  
killoffsonny

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbelly View Post
I was starting to get a bit of a pooch and a month of Ballet Beautiful flattened my abs quickly. You could start with the Classic video (now called Total Body, I believe). I did the online streaming for a month-- it was $9.99 for the first month-- and my skin firmed up and everything pulled in all in only 30-40 minutes 5 times per week.
If you don't mind may I ask how old you are? I can't seem to find anything that pulls my skin in at my age (62). But I admit I'm not consistent with any one rotation. I exercise five days a week but mostly stick to pilates with some cardio thrown in.
Old 07-01-16, 07:17 AM  
starbelly

I'm 45 and, of course, results vary. My mother is in her 70s and has amazing skin without regular exercise, but I have not inherited her good fortune. The Ballet Beautiful results were very unexpected but much appreciated!

What I believe has happened is that the tightening of the muscles underneath lifted my skin. Everything has perked up.
Old 07-01-16, 07:51 AM  
killoffsonny

So starbelly are referring only to the abdominal area with Ballet Beautiful? I find that just doing pilates and adding in extra planks helps with that as long as I'm consistent. I was wondering about her arm work? Of course at 45 I doubt you have to worry about the batwings.
Old 07-01-16, 08:53 AM  
starbelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by killoffsonny View Post
So starbelly are referring only to the abdominal area with Ballet Beautiful? I find that just doing pilates and adding in extra planks helps with that as long as I'm consistent. I was wondering about her arm work? Of course at 45 I doubt you have to worry about the batwings.
Oh, if only that were true! In my 30s I was very lean and pulled in; that changed radically after the age of 40 and accelerated after I hit 42. My arms were not really a "problem" area, however, so there was less work to be done there.

I have mixed feelings about BB arm work. Some moves aggravated trigger points in my back, but I do feel that the work did more for my posture than my arms, an important benefit. I will say that everything seems tighter after a 4 week rotation, so there were some benefits for my arms, but I also do yoga every day and plank work at least 3 days per week so it's hard to say which had the biggest effect.

I thought that I would dread using one instructor 5 days per week, but I find Mary Helen to be calming and since much of the work is on the mat (I don't do her cardio) I am able to do it even after a long day at work. The streaming is outrageously expensive at $40 per month so I won't stick with that, but I have purchased some of the bundles to keep up with my BB habit in addition to the videos I have.

I have noticed a difference in my arms from Hamelin D'Abell's workouts. There are many free videos on youtube. This is one of my favorite freebies, but if you are interested in arms, try this or this.
Old 07-01-16, 05:14 PM  
killoffsonny

Thanks! I love Hamelin. Haven't done any of his workouts in awhile and I have never done that first one.

Tags
ballet beautiful, menopot