Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-18-13, 10:03 AM  
Joanna
VF Supporter

How to: rip your DVDs onto your computer

tytbody asked about this in another thread since I mentioned I use Air Video and stream all my workouts onto my iPad. I don't remember all the steps exactly, but here is what I did. Note: I am a Mac user so I will mention Mac programs, but you can just Google the general program type e.g. ripping software, streaming software. Or maybe someone else can chime in with PC instructions?

1) Why to do this?

I don't have a TV in either of the areas where I might work out. So I stream off my computer onto the iPad.

2) Software needed?

You need two things: firstly, ripping software (e.g. Handbrake) to get the video onto your computer and secondly, streaming software (e.g. Air Video) to play it on your devices.

3) Step 1: Ripping

This was easy. I put the DVD into my computer and loaded the Handbrake software. It prompts you to choose the DVD so it can scan it. Once this is done, you can select individual chapters (or multiple chapters) from a drop-down menu and press start. Handbrake does take awhile to do its business, but it beeps when it's done. Just change the name of the video file to something which makes sense to you, and stick it in a folder.

4) Step 2: Setting up the Streaming

I will talk about Air Video here since it's what I have experience with, but I know there are other programs (e.g. Plex) which people use. You need two things for Air Video: a server component on your computer and an app component for your device. You can run the app on multiple devices once you have it e.g. your phone and your iPad. This is an iOS app, so if you have an Android tablet, you'll need a different program.

Air Video is easy to set up. The main thing you have to do is tell it where the folders are with the videos you want to stream. It's a button you choose in the preferences, then you just navigate to that folder and click ok. That's pretty much it!

5) Step 3: Streaming a Video

The Air Video server has to be running on your computer. Then just open up the app. It will use something called the 'Bonjour' protocol to detect its companion server on the computer. Once it's found it, you can just tap and play. For instance, it will say Joanna's Computer, I tap to open and it has all my videos there. You can play it just like you would a YouTube video, which an expander to play it full screen, volume controls etc. Sometimes you may have to tweak the settings a little. For instance, our new internet is a little slower than in my old apartment, so I had to adjust the download rate.

The most common problem is forgetting to turn it on in the computer first. If The server runs in the background, but if I turn off my computer or restart it, it sometimes does not auto-launch. And if my computer is asleep, it won't find it either. The computer has to be on, with the Air Video server program open in the background, in order for it to work.

That's it! The benefits of ripping my workouts onto computer have been huge. Aside from the convenience of being able to stream them wherever, you can also mix and match shorter workouts to create fresh routines. No changing disks needed!
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-13, 10:16 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Joanna, thanks for posting this; I was actually asking about this recently, mainly b/c there are a few chapters that I'd like to have on my computer at work (chair yoga sort of thing, LOL).

I'm pretty computer literate, but a lot of what you said went over my head. To start, is the first program you mentioned, Handbrake, also available for PC? Is it free?

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-13, 10:24 AM  
Joanna
VF Supporter

No clue if it's a PC program too but I know there is free ripping software for PC. Just google 'free dvd ripping' and you should find stuff.
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-13, 10:45 AM  
horsemom2

If you have a windows operating system, Freemake Video Converter
www.freemake.com

Just refuse the extra software they offer in the download unless the extras interest you.
They have tutorials to show you what to do too.

It does everything:
rips titles from dvds
downloads youtube videos
converts video files
burns all video file formats to dvd
uploads video files to youtube
enables playing and trimming of video files
enables removing audio and adding audio
(I prefer to add audio with Windows Movie Maker)
converts video files including youtube downloads to MP3 music

It's simple, fast, and FREE
(no I do not earn anything for advertising LOL)

Barb S
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-13, 11:19 AM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Thanks for the Mac tips. Most of what is on VF is about PC and I'm glad I caught you. Will let you know how I make out. I have been able to get some on my itunes video thingy but lets see how this goes.

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-13, 11:49 AM  
rosepetals

Check youtube for videos on your subject. You might be surprised at what you find.
rosepetals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-13, 12:35 PM  
topfitmama

Beth,
I'm a technology neos, and I have been happily ripping my dvds and saving them onto my computer using Freemake.
I've made premixes, edited out exercises I wish were no in workouts.... it's fun!

And as Barb mentioned, Freemake will also do the burning to DVD for you.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-13, 12:38 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Thanks guys--I will have to try Freemake! Now for some spare time to do so...

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-13, 12:43 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Joanna, help. What is the air video Server? mine ipad says no server found? what is that?

I have the app on my ipad and i got Handgrip. now how to get the stuff from the computer to my ipad.

~~~Cheryl

Old 02-18-13, 01:38 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

This is amazing. I did it Joanna and I don't know how. there are some steps missing in the directions or put up to operator malfunction, but it is on my ipad now. So, if I were to go to a friends house, I can show them this now on my ipad? Is it always there? or it only works at home?

I didn't make a folder, I have no clue how to do that. The way I got it to come up was i had it on my desktop. I will play again to see if I can duplicate what I did and this time I will write down step by step.

This will help tremendously for the videos that are on the mat and I don't want to hold my head up to see what they are saying.

~~~Cheryl

Tags
back up dvd, burning dvds, download to dvd, dvd ripping, dvd to ipod, faq, ipod, ripping dvds, streaming, tech