Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-30-22, 12:44 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyQ View Post
Count me as one of the clueless. I shred all my junk mail but why would one need to remove labels from boxes? My address is on my house for everyone to see. What am I missing?
I will admit to being very paranoid about my identity. Anyone who has Googled their name is shocked at all the info on there. Some sites have it all - your phone number, address, everywhere you've ever lived, your family members and those who live near you, any court or legal actions, etc.

Combine that with ID thieves doing dumpster diving plus the Dark Web and one's identity is at risk.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-22, 12:57 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

When this happened to me, there were circumstances pointing to the fact that it had to be at least partly an inside job from the bank in question (don't want to go into any more detail on that). I've since seen more evidence that suggests indeed, that was the case. Absolutely infuriating, and how do you protect yourself from an inside job??

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-22, 03:59 PM  
BigBadBetty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittybug View Post
When this happened to me, there were circumstances pointing to the fact that it had to be at least partly an inside job from the bank in question (don't want to go into any more detail on that). I've since seen more evidence that suggests indeed, that was the case. Absolutely infuriating, and how do you protect yourself from an inside job??
Many years ago, I had a new credit card sent to me because mine was expiring. However, I had just moved. They don't forward credit cards; they send them back to the bank. I am sure that is meant for your security. However, it didn't help me. I had a bunch of fraudulent charges from the city/state where the card was from. So I think it was an inside job.
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-22, 05:47 PM  
kalliope999

Regarding address labels and associating your name with your address: if you own your home, couldn't someone just look at the public records online and see the name on the deed?

Obviously this wouldn't affect everyone, but every home owner who didn't purchase their home under a legal pseudonym or LLC or whatever will be vulnerable.

But maybe I'm just looking for an excuse not to have to remove address labels on our many boxes.
Old 06-30-22, 06:06 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalliope999 View Post
Regarding address labels and associating your name with your address: if you own your home, couldn't someone just look at the public records online and see the name on the deed?

Obviously this wouldn't affect everyone, but every home owner who didn't purchase their home under a legal pseudonym or LLC or whatever will be vulnerable.

But maybe I'm just looking for an excuse not to have to remove address labels on our many boxes.
Basically, yes. For my work, I actually have to verify spellings using websites anyone can use, homeowners and renters both. All of that information is out there anyway, whether you remove the labels or not. Does that help?

(I still remove labels just because it's a habit from many years ago and then I wonder if I'm just wasting my time.)

Old 06-30-22, 06:07 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadBetty View Post
Many years ago, I had a new credit card sent to me because mine was expiring. However, I had just moved. They don't forward credit cards; they send them back to the bank. I am sure that is meant for your security. However, it didn't help me. I had a bunch of fraudulent charges from the city/state where the card was from. So I think it was an inside job.
I'm so sorry this happened to you! And is it wrong you actually made me feel better to know I'm not the only one something like this happened to?

Old 06-30-22, 06:10 PM  
TracyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalliope999 View Post
I’m with you…I shouldn’t admit this but I need a more compelling reason than “my name will be associated with my address” to go through the bother of removing the labels from the boxes.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-22, 06:10 PM  
kalliope999

Quote:
Basically, yes. For my work, I actually have to verify spellings using websites anyone can use, homeowners and renters both. All of that information is out there anyway, whether you remove the labels or not. Does that help?
Yes, thank you!
Old 06-30-22, 07:10 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
(I still remove labels just because it's a habit from many years ago and then I wonder if I'm just wasting my time.)
To be honest, I wonder too. Maybe it makes me feel like I'm doing something.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-22, 07:22 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
To be honest, I wonder too. Maybe it makes me feel like I'm doing something.
Exactly!! A week or two ago, it appeared someone had gone through our trash can that was at the curb for its regular pickup. All I could think was one, at least there was nothing in there I was concerned about, and two, I hoped whoever did that enjoyed all the 'kitty roca,' mmmm!!! They certainly deserved it.

Tags
credit reports, identity theft, privacy, security, social security numbers