Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-06-14, 02:23 PM  
gmfreund
VF Supporter

OT - Scam reminder/warning

I just got a call from my son -- it seems that someone called my elderly father-in-law pretending to be my son, asking for $2000 immediately in the aftermath of a car accident with a diplomat . . . sadly, my FIL, who is normally quite sharp but who is sick right now with pneumonia, fell for it and the money is gone. The thief told him that he didn't have cell phone reception, so he couldn't call to check on him, etc., etc.

This is an old scam, of course. It also happens with great regularity in faith communities. Someone gets a hold of a church directory and calls a number of people claiming to be so-and-so, stuck in Berlin, or some such nonsense. It's always an elaborate story, with 15 reasons why you don't have time to check on what's happening. They prey on the fact that most people are caring and loving and want to do the right thing.

I'm so upset - I'm sure my FIL is just sick at heart right now. And I worry about my other relatives and how we can avoid this happening ever again (or having it happen in my faith community). I figured a reminder would be good for all of us. I'll bring it up in church on Sunday, too.

Gwynn
gmfreund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-14, 03:15 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Wow Gwynn, I'm sorry to hear this happened to your FIL, how sad is that. I wish there was a way he could get his money back.

Last year, we got a call from a foreign country, someone saying they worked for microsoft and they needed to get into the computer to fix something, my DP answered the phone, he started to get stressed and thinking his computer was going to "die" if the problem wasn't fixed, I rapidly asked hey... what are you doing? and took the phone, I asked the guy which computer have the problem as we have more than 10 computer here (which is not true I just wanted to check his reaction), he started to get stressed/pissed, while talking to him I was checking on Internet, and this have been reported before, on microsoft site they mentioned they never call anyone, etc. I just told the guy to never ever call me again and that I was contacting the police right away, he hung up on me. I still get those calls once in a while (I'M TIRED), I just ask them to /$?&*?%$/!! And as soon as I mentioned police they hang up.

I also once got an e-mail, "from a friend of mine" asking $5000 as she was in Ivory Coast (Africa), and she lost all her documents, money, passport, etc. so she didn't know how to get back, pay hotel, eat, etc. Well, my friend have never left the province. I never replied the e-mail and thankfully I have not get any other of that kind.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-14, 03:45 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

sorry about your FIL. omg. some people are just horrible.

we just had a departmental meeting yesterday regarding these scams. people in our city are getting calls that their utility (water, electric, landline) will be cut off in 30 min if they don't pay $x money ASAP.

i got a random call on my cell phone that was from another country, and they were asking for money too (i won some lottery or some other BS). i hung up and then blocked the number on my phone for both voice and texts.

if you are ever in a foreign country and need money, you can go to the American embassy. it happened to my sister and her 2 friends when they went to Paris back in the 80s. their pockets got picked and they only lost money - passports were safe.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-14, 04:15 PM  
gladgirl

So sorry for your FIL
Yes, there are such awful people out there!
We help take care of my FIL at 92 and it's amazing what people will try.

I hope he can forgive himself. I also hope he feels better from the pneumonia, poor darling. And, yeah, I wish there was a way for him to get his money back. Best wishes to your family.
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-14, 05:51 PM  
BunnyHop

Yeah, I got a call this morning from somebody who was entirely too vague about who they were or why they were calling.

The call began with a vague sort of greeting, as though I ought to know who they were.

When I asked, 'Who's calling, please?'

they said: "You don't recognize my voice?"

I hung up on them.

I can see how an unsuspecting person might fall for such a thing.

A friendly voice calls, seems familiar, but doesn't mention their own name until after they've persuaded you to make assumptions about who they are? Creepy, and kind of scary.
BunnyHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-14, 07:10 PM  
Cher

Oh Gwynn, I’m so sorry to hear that. That is such a shame. Your poor FIL. I wish there were some way he could get his money back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSweetAsSugar View Post
Last year, we got a call from a foreign country, someone saying they worked for microsoft and they needed to get into the computer to fix something, my DP answered the phone, he started to get stressed and thinking his computer was going to "die" if the problem wasn't fixed, I rapidly asked hey... what are you doing? and took the phone, I asked the guy which computer have the problem as we have more than 10 computer here (which is not true I just wanted to check his reaction), he started to get stressed/pissed, while talking to him I was checking on Internet, and this have been reported before, on microsoft site they mentioned they never call anyone, etc. I just told the guy to never ever call me again and that I was contacting the police right away, he hung up on me. I still get those calls once in a while (I'M TIRED), I just ask them to /$?&*?%$/!! And as soon as I mentioned police they hang up.
I have also gotten these calls and I've heard that Microsoft will not call anyone so I didn't fall for it. I LOVE that you asked him which computer had the problem!
Cher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-14, 08:32 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cher View Post

I have also gotten these calls and I've heard that Microsoft will not call anyone so I didn't fall for it. I LOVE that you asked him which computer had the problem!
My FIL got one of those calls and he told the guy he was too late, the computer crashed yesterday.
ddj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-14, 08:52 PM  
pcdoctor01

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddj View Post
My FIL got one of those calls and he told the guy he was too late, the computer crashed yesterday.
What about the people calling your house saying they are from your local police department but have a long distance phone number on the caller I'd. They are calling because they want a donation. I told someone once that I'll donate locally to a police department in person.

Maybe the next time someone calls the house, like a telemarketer I'll say, "While I have you on the phone. I have this problem. I have ------- itching and I need something to stop it. What do you suggest?" I bet that will keep them from calling.
pcdoctor01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-14, 09:44 PM  
Pam

Thanks for the laughs pcdoctor1! Can I use your idea on nx sales call?
Old 08-06-14, 10:33 PM  
Honeydew

Has anyone ever had a company spoof your phone number? A "credit card services" company spoofed mine. At the time, I didn't know that was it and answered because I thought it was weird that my husband's name and our home phone number showed up on our caller ID.
Honeydew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
junk mail, scam alert, scams, spam, telemarketers