Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-14, 04:12 PM  
Aunt Famous

Hey, Breeze.

I have only done reformer workouts on Pilates Anytime. My favorite Pilates DVDs are Pilates for Men, Total Core Pilates, Quick Cut Pilates, Pilates Perfect Body (the Andrea Speir one), and the Pilates Fix DVD (Trim Tighten Tone?); my favorite Pilates-like DVDs were Supermodel Buns and Thighs, anything by Ellen, Original Buns of Steel, and Gilad's Phenomenal Abs and Core.

AF
Aunt Famous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-14, 04:46 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Aunt Famous, welcome to the land of the reformer. Mine is 12 years old now. It's the best purchase I ever made. The reformer energizes me when I use it in the morning and relaxes me when I use it at night. When my back pain was so bad I'd be on it at 2 or 3 in the a.m. for pain relief to sleep. Pilates Anytime and Pilatesology are both great but I need to decide on only one. I got stronger on the reformer than I ever got with weights. I hope you love your for many years to come.
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-14, 05:21 PM  
Gancho Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelly View Post
I'm sure you're right when you say if it feels easy you're doing it wrong!
This is a quote I have up on the wall of my equipment studio, and which most of my mat class clients know as well:

"It never becomes easy. It becomes possible."
- Agnes De Mille

For me, this is Pilates.

---
http://livingroomathlete.blogspot.com/

Disclosure statement: I am a facilitator for Misty Tripoli's THE GROOVE and a Pilates instructor.
Gancho Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-14, 08:40 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Famous View Post
Hey, Breeze.

I have only done reformer workouts on Pilates Anytime. My favorite Pilates DVDs are Pilates for Men, Total Core Pilates, Quick Cut Pilates, Pilates Perfect Body (the Andrea Speir one), and the Pilates Fix DVD (Trim Tighten Tone?); my favorite Pilates-like DVDs were Supermodel Buns and Thighs, anything by Ellen, Original Buns of Steel, and Gilad's Phenomenal Abs and Core.

AF
Thanks! I've see Total Core Pilates & Pilates for Men recommended a lot. Time to look into those 2 for sure. I have Quick Cut Pilates which I enjoy. I didn't click with Andrea Speir my first time with her dvd but maybe I'll take a second look.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-14, 11:24 AM  
TinierTina

I suppose if I'd had really flexible hips compared to the ones I had been born with, I would have taken to Yoga, rather than mat pilates and mat yoga-pilates fusion in the way that I had. I had done yoga regularly for over 7 years (though mostly at home, my attendance live at a yoga studio was far from non-existent during nearly 2 of those years).

I never did any other than mat pilates; and later on, I attended mat classes at a pilates studio. My first studio classes having been in mat pilates (at a gym), and not yoga in the winter of 2008. I had been gobsmacked, as it was in STOTT method, which is a tough mat session for a rank beginner. But I liked it!

I need the constraints of a box-like structure to most of my movements (mat pilates!) I do not have litheness nor the limberness in body that barre or flow yoga require - that I do not quite possess (though I do have agility). I can play at doing a kind of excuse for a cardio barre (without the BARRE!) ... adept placement of limbs with respect to the barre has its advantages -- but for the right type of body! (Not mine.)

But, I never pass up most opportunities for meditation, separate and apart from movement. Maybe that is why the yoga in the first place :-D
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-14, 11:39 AM  
TinierTina

Pilates and Yoga - What's the Difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Famous View Post
I have been all over the exercise map. I used to practice yoga, but I found that I kept getting hurt and losing focus. I started Pilates a year ago, at home with mat DVDs, and after years of dismissing Pilates as too boring or not effective, I found that it was exactly what I needed. (I'm now 46.) I purchased a studio reformer off of Craigslist six weeks ago, and I am crazy about it. Thanks, Pilates Anytime!

I have begun to realize that the more Pilates I do, the more difficult Pilates becomes. (It sounds like Gaucho Girl's observation -- that you have to know what muscles you're working.) I have also discovered that Pilates has a soothing effect on me; I definitely feel more agitated on days when I don't do it.

And the results! Oh, man, if nothing else, the results keep me coming back. In February, I parted ways with my long-time beloved trainer who focused on heavy weights and intense workouts. I have since lost 10 pounds -- with better posture, a flat stomach, leaner legs (my Waterloo!), and defined arms.

I'm hooked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
I too find pilates more difficult the more I do it and focus on the muscles. I would love to know which dvds you are using, or are you just using Pilates Anytime? Congrats on your results.
I'll be 60 years old very shortly.

And you know what?
Or maybe it doesn't have that much to do with age. I don't know, you stop being hedonic about your workouts. Burn? With pilates?

No law against seeking the burn. That's what isotonic exercise is all about.

Rather, with yoga, you "trick" yourself through movement into an isometric form; and if you are very healthy and lucky, a very strengthening isometric, form ... and into feeling burn, as an afterthought (again, if you're lucky). In a slower style; of course you do feel the burn, but it's not sought.

It's kind of tough to be achievement-oriented and all Type-A (as well as hedonistic) in yoga if your joints are not hypermobile, as well. It's not like I gun for any inversions and stuff like that.
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
joshua smith, pilates, pilates for men, yoga