Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-01-14, 12:22 PM  
Yelly

Pilates and Yoga - What's the Difference?

I'm trying to learn a little bit more about Pilates, since I've been curious about it lately. I was glancing through the Big Book of Pilates, and I was kind of baffled that almost every Pilates move done on the mat was also a pose in Yoga. This got me wondering what the actual differences are.

So, for those of you who do both Pilates and Yoga - can you please tell me how they differ? Are the moves for each as similar as what they appeared to be in that book? I'm particularly interested in the breathwork in Pilates - because following the breath is what really calms me down and eases my anxiety when I do yoga. Does Pilates have that same calming effect?

Thanks so much for your help!!
Yelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-14, 12:30 PM  
glamgal
VF Supporter

I can't be of much help, but I wanted to say that I prefer Pilates over Yoga. Not sure why...I think it has something to do with the 'contrology' principles that Joseph Pilates espoused. Performing every movement slowly and with control.

I've tried to get into Yoga a few times in my life, taking live classes for a month or so before moving on. There are different styles of yoga. The studio that I like the best offers vinyasa yoga. Even then, though, I found that yoga was hard on my shoulders and wrists after awhile.
Old 09-01-14, 03:52 PM  
hotncmom

I used to go to a Pilates studio for mat and reformer classes, and have done yoga for a few years now (mostly at home). I found that overall, for me, yoga is a more well-rounded workout because there is more done standing vs. lying down. Standing exercises are better for bone density and balance. Pilates seemed mainly focused on the core/"powerhouse". I also developed significantly more upper body strength doing yoga than Pilates.

With yoga I missed the targeted leg work that works the inner and outer thighs and butt, so when I was doing a yoga rotation I always added in a couple of days of good old lower body floorwork.

There are a lot of similarities. Some of the poses are the same but the names are different. But there's a lot of things I really didn't like about Pilates. I don't like that type of ab work and prefer planks in all their different varieties.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-14, 03:59 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Pilates has no mystical component. It is strictly exercise. It also makes extensive use of equipment if you go to a Pilates studio. It concentrates on the center of the body. It was originally developed to rehabilitate injuries.

Yoga was originally developed as part of religious observation. It probably has more upright movements than Pilates.
Old 09-01-14, 04:22 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Here is a nice article I was reading the other day, which explique the differences, origins, principles, similarities, etc. of them both, here is the link if you'd like to check it out. HTH

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-14, 07:36 PM  
Yelly

Thanks Everyone!

AsSweetAsSugar - I read the article you linked to, and it was very helpful

I just joined Pilates Anytime for their free trial membership. I did the #667 Mat Workout with Brent Anderson, and I really enjoyed it. It was definitely different than a yoga class - not quite the same calming effect, but still helped to ease my anxiety somewhat. I've been battling anxiety big-time recently, which is why I'm trying to broaden my horizons with mind/body exercise. I already love yoga and how it calms me down. I think it'll be fun to learn something new too.
Old 09-01-14, 08:09 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Yelly,

I highly recommend Pilates On Demand - a British site, lots of videos designed for the home exerciser, lovely set - bright, airy, colorful - and I love the British accents. They have deals from time to time that make it more affordable - I caught a half price one that makes it affordable, even with the exchange rate. http://www.pilatesod.com

I personally have liked it (Pilates on Demand) better than Pilates Anytime. I may have just had bad luck picking classes at Pilates Anytime, but I seemed to get the ones geared towards the pilates teacher teaching beginning students, rather than the classes geared toward the beginning student. They have lots of videos, but many are for equipment I don't have. I haven't had those issues with POD - they don't have as many classes, but I have loved every one I've taken, and I tend to use the site 4 or 5 times a week.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-14, 08:49 PM  
Yelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
Yelly,

I highly recommend Pilates On Demand - a British site, lots of videos designed for the home exerciser, lovely set - bright, airy, colorful - and I love the British accents. They have deals from time to time that make it more affordable - I caught a half price one that makes it affordable, even with the exchange rate. http://www.pilatesod.com

I personally have liked it (Pilates on Demand) better than Pilates Anytime. I may have just had bad luck picking classes at Pilates Anytime, but I seemed to get the ones geared towards the pilates teacher teaching beginning students, rather than the classes geared toward the beginning student. They have lots of videos, but many are for equipment I don't have. I haven't had those issues with POD - they don't have as many classes, but I have loved every one I've taken, and I tend to use the site 4 or 5 times a week.

Carol
Thanks so much!! I just signed up, so I'll compare the two
Old 09-01-14, 09:32 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelly View Post
Thanks so much!! I just signed up, so I'll compare the two
I hope you like it! Of course, YMMV ~ Thank heavens for 14 day free trials!

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-14, 11:01 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Yoga = sometimes boring.

Pilates = always boring.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
joshua smith, pilates, pilates for men, yoga