Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-14, 11:17 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
What is the point of 'The Hundred'?
To make you wish you were at the dentist having a root canal instead!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-14, 12:00 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena View Post
That's interesting; I find it does the exact opposite. I 'pull my belly to spine' so my stomach is flat and lower my legs as much as possible while keeping my lower back flat to the floor. I find this really engages all the muscles of my core and helps maintain my flat stomach.
Ditto this! I always hated it until I realized it helps me get in this position. It's similar to the pelvic tuck in barre workouts or what Lindsay Brin and Charlene Prickett do in their workouts. By flattening and engaging your abs while in a semi-static position, you can keep them engaged and use them for other ab-focused work, rather than your hip flexors or other muscles.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-14, 12:21 PM  
sunnyside

Not a fan.
Old 03-06-14, 12:29 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I used to go to a Pilates studio and the instructor never had us do the hundred. She said that clients tended to hyperventilate when they did it.

OTOH, I went to another studio where the instructor had us do it on the Reformer holding the straps for some resistance. I did find that it got easier when doing it under proper supervision.

Joseph Pilates used it as a way to get oxygen moving through the body and engage the abs. Remember this was before the aerobic era. I think you're safe leaving it out, but you should probably make sure your abs are engaged and ready to work before doing the other exercises.
Old 03-06-14, 12:37 PM  
firmaholic

I like the hundred, now the thigh and seat work makes me dream of a root canal.
firmaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-14, 10:17 PM  
Julia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena View Post
That's interesting; I find it does the exact opposite. I 'pull my belly to spine' so my stomach is flat and lower my legs as much as possible while keeping my lower back flat to the floor. I find this really engages all the muscles of my core and helps maintain my flat stomach.
well, years and years and years of proper form that was drilled into me never did give me that flat stomach .. I only wish his happened!
Julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-14, 01:59 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1000 View Post
I first saw it in a FIRM workout about 20 years ago.
if you're referring to Jenn Peluso, i can understand your distaste!

she does some weird grimace when she does it, like she's getting ready to fight Rocky.

my first encounter with the 100 was in The Method, and i thought Jennifer Kries did it very gracefully.

good examples of the hundred:
Michelle Dozois (Pilates for Dummies, Breakthru Pilates)
Ana Caban
Teigh and Gillian (Yoga Booty Ballet) - i think they do it in one of their workouts
Brooke Siler CD (i recall that her audio CD does a decent job of explaining how to do the 100)

although i like Mari Windsor, i didn't like her video with the 100 - she doesn't do the move, but instructs her students to do it. she doesn't provide enough form pointers to prevent neck strain.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-14, 06:12 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cO4vb678un8 there is a youtube demo if anyone isn't familiar with this exercise.

Turns out I've done it tons at Pure Barre and never knew what it was called!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-14, 07:36 AM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

I've done the Hundred about a jillion times (taking Pilates 2x per week for 10+ years now), mostly on the Reformer with straps, and it's still challenging. My teacher, a former professional dancer, finds it challenging. Core strength and proper breathing are the main reasons he has me do the Hundred in our sessions.
Old 03-07-14, 09:31 AM  
killoffsonny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
To prime the lungs for the Pilates breathing, engage the core, and make us bitter with hatred for it.
Well it works cause I hate it although love Pilates.

Tags
pilates, the hundred