Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-29-09, 05:21 PM  
herya

Benefits from Slow Pilates

I was inspired to write this after doing Janis Saffell's Beverly Hills Pilates. I didn't actually like it (as a whole) but what I loved was that her pace during actual movements was rather slow and as a result all the moves were done in a very deliberate manner and with great attention to form.

This is not a beginner workout, advanced beginner maybe so - for example - her scissors are done with legs straight and arms outstretched which combined with a slower pace allows to really push yourself, squeeze, lengthen and stretch and whatever is required for really good form. Absolutely controlled strength.

I've never thought about it earlier but it seems that all the instructors I tried use the same, or similar enough, pace for Pilates. Sometimes they do it too fast (Mari Winsor's famous "and now double time!") and it's only then when you notice.

I think this slower pace is fabulous and I'd love to find more "slow and thorough" Pilates workouts, especially in the Intermediate range, especially not-so-classic routine... Any suggestions/comments will be appreciated

PS. I googled "slow Pilates" and this article jumped at me:
http://healthandrunning.com/health/slow-pilates
Obviously the author had similar experience.
herya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pilates