Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-14-09, 09:44 PM  
videofit

How to avoid neck strain with Pilates?

I haven't done Pilates in many months and want to incorporate one workout per week. I just did Rapid Results Pilates today, which overall wasn't too difficult, but my neck was hurting during the workout and still feels stiff and achey. I hope I don't feel worse tomorrow. I occasionally rested it on the floor while I was doing the moves to give myself relief. I don't remember having this problem before when I was doing Pilates more regularly. Would my plan of doing just one session per week be enough time to improve my neck or would I be "starting from square one" each week?
Old 03-15-09, 05:55 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I recommend just resting for a few minutes when your neck feels tired. Your neck will become stronger as you do more Pilates. It also helps to place your tongue on the roof of your mouth when doing these moves. That seems to help neck strain.

There is a good dvd called Classical Pilates with Special Considerations for the Neck & Back that you might want to look into.
Old 03-15-09, 07:06 AM  
naturallove

I used to get a lot more neck strain until I started taking small group reformer classes. Taking privates (which I had to to take the class) and/or small classes and getting form tips will really help pinpoint the things or weaknesses that might cause your neck muscles to take over.

Anyway, the best tip I've ever gotten is to think about looking at the navel when doing moves such as the hundred. So, you're curving your neck and shoulders 'up and over' so that you're not straining your neck. I hope someone will come along that can explain it better than I did, but doing that really helps with neck issues.
naturallove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-09, 01:56 PM  
KathAL79

I agree with Jane and Natural's tips.

Also, my Pilates instructor often said that neck strain occurs when the neck tries to take over from the abs. In other words, you could be relying too much on your head to get yourself higher in your curl, and your abs aren't pulling their full weight. (This is related to Natural's advice.) Her tip: imagine you're perforated across your rib cage, just under the bust, and fold from there rather than starting the curl at the head.

I think a solid Pilates session once a week is sufficient to progress as you'd like, presuming you bring proper focus, etc.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-09, 02:00 PM  
Calistro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathAL79
I agree with Jane and Natural's tips.

Also, my Pilates instructor often said that neck strain occurs when the neck tries to take over from the abs. In other words, you could be relying too much on your head to get yourself higher in your curl, and your abs aren't pulling their full weight. (This is related to Natural's advice.) Her tip: imagine you're perforated across your rib cage, just under the bust, and fold from there rather than starting the curl at the head.

I think a solid Pilates session once a week is sufficient to progress as you'd like, presuming you bring proper focus, etc.
intersting tip, that is where I have been going wrong too, starting the curl at the head.
Calistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-09, 10:18 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathAL79
Her tip: imagine you're perforated across your rib cage, just under the bust, and fold from there rather than starting the curl at the head.
That is a great cue. I can really feel it. Another one that my Pilates teacher gave me was to think about dropping the back of your sternum down deeper into your body. That really helps me engage my abs.
Old 03-15-09, 11:54 PM  
videofit

I think part of the problem had to do with my keeping that imaginary orange under my chin, as they say to do when you do crunches. I've been so used to doing that.

Pilates tends to have you do the opposite to "normal" workouts, not just the neck but breathing as well. When I would normally exhale, I'm told to inhale.

I've cut and pasted all of your tips onto one doc which I will refer to before my next pilates session. Thanks!

Tags
neck pain, pilates