Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-11-09, 04:54 PM  
TinaT

I previewed ALCII and Reach and they both make me think of a Classical Stretch workout. Not exactly, but similiar to in some ways.

What happen to Kari? I noticed she hasn't produced any workouts in a few years now. (I'm not trying to high jack my own thread, but I am curious).
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-09, 05:04 PM  
lindseylu8

I am also not a pilates person but have 2 pilates dvds that I enjoy:

The Firm Sculpt & Tone Pilates w/ Alison. It uses a band that comes in 3 resistances.

Denise Austins Hit The Spot Pilates is also nice. She has (I think) 7 different 15ish minute segments that target abs, hips, thighs, buns, etc.

You can find a link to my fitness blog in my profile
lindseylu8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-09, 05:11 PM  
TinaT

I have tried the FIRM one you mentioned and unfortunately I'm not a Denise fan. Good suggestions though....

ETA: I just placed an order with Mary for 2 of Kari A. workouts. ALCII and Reach. I think these might be what I'm looking for vs. a pure pilates workout. I also purchased Squeeze Stronger and Squeeze LBC for my Barre style workouts. I have 2 Leslie S. for moderate walking cardio. (I'm rebuilding in pairs of 2 for different methods of fitness, just in case you didn't notice).

I want a well rounded variety of dvds so that each day offers something different. I fell into a HUGE rut with having the majority of my dvds being the FIRM/WHFN. Too much alike.
Old 02-11-09, 06:21 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

If you have problems with vertigo I would stick with Pilates workouts that keep you on the floor for now. That way you won't fall anywhere.

Dr. Howard Sichel's Power Pilates dvds may be a good place to start. It is classic Pilates, but the dvd has a lot of additional features including a back workout for those with back issues. There's both a beginner and an intermediate level dvd. I would start with the beginner. This is their website, but you might find the dvd at Amazon.

www.powerpilates.com

Hilary Burnett's Beginner on is very basic. You might consider that one also.
I love Ana Caban, but the production values on her Beginner and Intermediate dvd aren't that great.
Old 02-11-09, 07:40 PM  
dnna

I have a couple of Pilates workouts that I am very faithful to, one is Winsor buns and thighs. I cannot believe in under 20 minutes 3 times I week I would get rock hard. It is really amazing lower body workout,and I was climbing that fannylifter for a long time! Where did the muscle come from . and it is such a short workout.
the second is the Jules Benson total core. When this first came out I could NOT stop doing it. There wer some fun threads on how the workout hypnotized you into doing it over and over again- Jules pretty soft southern voice,her presentation- I would never get rid of these two.
and one other one is the winsor 20 minute workout- nothing wrong with that one.
pm me if you can use vhs
Donna
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-09, 08:43 PM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

Element Pilates Weight Loss for Beginners with Brooke Siler is a good one. It's broken into a standing warm-up section (15 minutes) and a mat floorwork section (about 30 minutes). It would be easy to skip the standing section for a shorter workout. She gives great form pointers and the workout moves along fairly well.

http://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/Shop...id/0/SFV/32365

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-09, 09:07 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I haven't read all of the suggestions - but if you are leaning toward a primarily barre regimine with some complimentary add-ons, my suggestion is Element Pilates by Brooke Siler. You get two workouts - one a nice flowing standing routine topped with Pilates pushups, the second is a mat workout. Renee wrote a nice review which is currently at the top of the new reviews page.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-09, 09:42 PM  
TinaT

Ok...what's the deal with Winson Buns and Thigh dvd? I can only find it at Amazon....for over $35.00!!! What the heck?!?! Who else carries this?
Old 02-11-09, 09:52 PM  
dnna

the winsor series is now out of print but for sure you could trade for one on the swap. i have a vhs for you if you can use it.
Donna
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-09, 09:56 PM  
TinaT

Donna ~ Thank you for the offer. I don't own a VCR anymore or I would take you up on it.

Tags
pilates