Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-10-08, 10:09 AM  
pfhanna

I will have to check out Denise's dvd as well as the Classical's. I was also wondering if there is a Pilates dvd with cardio, or maybe there isn't such a thing. I was checking out Janis Saffell's brand new butt plus pilates? Collage has this listed as int./adv. Thanks again, Pam.
Old 12-10-08, 10:18 AM  
naturallove

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfhanna
I was also wondering if there is a Pilates dvd with cardio, or maybe there isn't such a thing.
Ana Caban has a dvd called Cardio Pilates, but you should run away from it as fast as you can! It's one of the few exercise dvds that I have given 1-star to (if I recall correctly). It's not that the pilates is so bad, but the cardio is SO badly cued and repetitive that it's unbelievable.
naturallove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-08, 11:29 AM  
KathAL79

Pamela Hanna, I'm a little late to the discussion here but I totally agree that you should work your way up. I've been doing Pilates for almost 7 years now, and I've returned to live classes after working my way through DVDs for the past 5-6 years, and let me tell you that Pilates is one of those things where, if done with precise, proper form and technique an all levels class, like the one I can take at my gym, can be just as challenging for me as it is for someone who's never done Pilates before. It's all about the form, technique, breath, mind-body connection, etc. Any video can be made more challenging, provided there's not too much "hang time."

A solid foundation will help you whether you decide to go the more classical Pilates route or the more fusion route. You may find that you plug into a particular method, or you may find that you prefer a particular instructor. For example, I've found that I prefer the Stott method (both of my live teachers have been Stott-certified, and due to Stott's extensive training process their instructors can be really good, especially for beginners), although I have a number of more Classical Pilates DVDs; I've personally found that I don't like a lot of fusion workouts, but that's just me. Enjoy the experimenting. You won't necessarily know until you try.

As for a "Cathe of Pilates," the grand dame of Pilates is Romana K, one of Joseph Pilates' original disciples. I wouldn't recommend that you rush out to buy her videos just for that reason, however, as two of them should only be attempted by those who are fully prepared for the fully advanced matwork. Also, they leave a lot to be desired in terms of production and interest level and showcasing of Romana's true talents.

Jennifer Kries deserves credit for bringing Pilates to the public at large via videos, but there are a few reasons I'm personally not overly fond of her. First, I don't always click with her on screen persona. Second, she's extremely flexible and doesn't provide proper modifications for those who aren't anywhere near her level. (That's a problem with a number of Pilates instructors, especially those who came to Pilates via dance, as their idea of what's a "normal" range of flexibility and strength can be distorted. They don't realize that full teasers aren't always possible even for experienced Pilates practioners, much less beginners, for example.) She's not a "bad" instructor, by any means, so if you like her try her videos.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-08, 11:52 AM  
Peggy T
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P.
My favorite is Hilary Burnett's Pilates dvds. They come in three levels. The advanced one is very advanced so I'd start with the intermediate one. They are also available from Netflix.

Ditto JAne. I love Hillary, too. I was also pleasantly surprised with the 2nd workout on MTV Pilates Mix. Pilates Mix is also a good one, but more intermediate.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Peggy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-08, 01:26 PM  
videofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebnPhx
Another vote for Jules Benson Total Core Pilates.
I like this one, too. I feel worked out after doing it, unlike most Pilates DVDs.
Old 12-10-08, 02:13 PM  
pfhanna

Thank you, again, for the excellent Pilates advice. After reading all of them I think I will start with Jules, than try some Hillary (int. level) I have never heard about her before so I am anxious to try. I have not tried any type of fusion workouts, other the Fat Burning Fusion. I truly appreciate all of your suggestions. Just one more question, and that is regarding Janis SAffell's Brand New Butt plus Pilates. This one got good reviews at Collage video. Many thanks again, Pam.
Old 12-10-08, 03:25 PM  
naturallove

Quote:
Thank you, again, for the excellent Pilates advice. After reading all of them I think I will start with Jules, than try some Hillary (int. level) I have never heard about her before so I am anxious to try. I have not tried any type of fusion workouts, other the Fat Burning Fusion. I truly appreciate all of your suggestions. Just one more question, and that is regarding Janis SAffell's Brand New Butt plus Pilates. This one got good reviews at Collage video. Many thanks again, Pam.
Pam-I liked fine it when I tried it (it used to have a step workout on it) but it was some time ago. A generous VFer is sending this to me, so I'll be able to give you better information in a week or two.
naturallove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-08, 03:41 PM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

Quote:
No one has mentioned Jennifer Kries?
I love fusion workouts (Fat-Burning Fusion, Jules' Total Core Pilates, etc.) and I owm most of Jennifer's DVDs. The ones I use most often are 3-D Toning (the first 30-minute segment reminds me of Fat-Burning Fusion) and The Perfect Mix (one segment is similar to Ellen's Slim Sculpt). I find her most recent DVDs too slow and repetitive.
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-08, 07:52 PM  
pfhanna

Thanks again everyone. I would love to hear about Janis Saffell's and more. Pam.
Old 12-12-08, 09:52 AM  
KathAL79

Quote:
Thank you, again, for the excellent Pilates advice. After reading all of them I think I will start with Jules, than try some Hillary (int. level)
Actually, I would recommend that you start with a solid basics DVD (Hillary has one, although if you're confident that you know enough to tackle her Intermediate it still has a good amount of instruction) before trying Jules; you'll get a heck of a lot more out of Jules if you have a better idea of what you're doing, as Jules moves somewhat quickly in part and doesn't include a lot of instruction (yes, she has form tips and reminders). I like the Jules a lot, too, which is saying something because I don't normally like Pilates workouts that tend toward fusion, but I know that I would have been overwhelmed if I had tried that early on in my Pilates journey.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pilates